Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2013, 02:58 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,021,863 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
It's not as simple as that because medicines interact with each other. You could buy two different medications that are fine on their own, take them togethr, and get sick. And without medical training you'd have no warning of that. Warning labels on bottles can't cover everything.
Just because someone gets something OTC, does not mean they don't or should not consult
their doctor before taking, if they have other issues at hand.

For the most part, there are no more medical flags with birth control pills than with let's say Naproxen.
No, let's say aspirin

Why it is not OTC at this time can be speculated between a greedy pharm or doc lobby or a
backwards/paid off FDA - or a combination of all four
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2013, 03:12 PM

7,359 posts, read 5,465,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
It certainly has occurred to me But I planned my family and am not
part of the problem.

It's the ones on welfare we need to address. The babies, barely adults
having babies, and more babies... without papas. For those folks, the pill is
"heaven sent" as far as I'm concerned.
I think the problem is that the system isn't structured right.

If the mother and father are together then benefits go down. So you discourage stable relationships.
If the parent has a job then benefits go down. So you discourage people from getting off welfare.
If you already have a child and have another child your benefits go up. So you encourage people to birth more children into poverty without fathers to support them.

There are certainly controls for who gets on welfare. But once you are on it, then anything we would consider responsible behavior is punished, and the things that got you on it in the first place are rewarded.

Old 03-08-2013, 03:16 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,896,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
I think the problem is that the system isn't structured right.

If the mother and father are together then benefits go down. So you discourage stable relationships.
If the parent has a job then benefits go down. So you discourage people from getting off welfare.
If you already have a child and have another child your benefits go up. So you encourage people to birth more children into poverty without fathers to support them.

There are certainly controls for who gets on welfare. But once you are on it, then anything we would consider responsible behavior is punished, and the things that got you on it in the first place are rewarded.
That's the problem. In many states if a couple is married like say both parents lost their jobs it will be hard to get welfare. Yet if same couple isn't married it is easier to get welfare. Same thing with jobs and the system basically tells people not to work because with all the benefits they get more than they would with minimum wage yet someone making minimum wage wouldn't qualify for as much either.

It's a messed up situation and I have no problems helping the working poor trying to make a better life. I do have a problem with supporting someone who refuses to work.

Old 03-08-2013, 03:26 PM

7,300 posts, read 6,735,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
Wrong. I have once again never said I was anti poor, in fact I am not even anti welfare. What I am against are those who abuse the system.

NOW DO YOU UNDERSTAND?
No, I don't understand, because this "they're abusing the system" is the same old, tired b_llsh_t lies the right wing has been spreading with to continue chipping away at government funding to the poor. If you aren't aware of the propaganda continuously being pumped out by the right wing against the poor, overtly or covertly, it's because you're purposely choosing not to notice, or because deep inside of you there's a resentment toward the poor that you would prefer not be noticed.

I'm not against improving govt programs but I will not even remotely discuss this until the constant barrage of crap from the right wing (whose intent has only 1 goal: to chip away until removing all govt funding to the poor) STOPS. Until then, not one word will pass my lips concerning any sort of improvement of govt funding, because I know all too well what right wingers stand for, what they wish to accomplish, and what they have accomplished already and the sh_tpile we're living in because of them.

If I had to take a good guess, I'd say your entire focus is religious superficiality - abortion, sex out of wedlock, and gays - and because you're so obsessed by these three topics, and wish to control people's behavior, you fall instantly into lockstep with anything right wingers do, they become your pals because they share your prejudices, and you go along with the hurting of the poor, regardless of how they suffer because of it. Am I correct? "The enemy of my enemy is my friend," so to speak, right? Am I understanding you now?

Old 03-08-2013, 04:52 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,896,464 times
Once again you take my words out of content. Where did I state I oppose gay marriage or abortion? In fact I don't care what people do.

Actually not sure why I am responding to you since you make no sense. Do you even pay taxes? I do and no I don't want to pay for people with multiple babies out of wedlock, I'd rather pay for the person who fell on hard times.

Old 03-08-2013, 04:59 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,551,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
I think the crazy people talking about having no sex are, well, having no sex.
Misery loves company, I suppose.

It shows that they've not availed themselves of the bliss of sexual release.
The issue here isn't whether or not people have sex. It's whether they have the right to ask someone else to pay for their birth control so they can have sex. I'm more than willing to pay for my own because I like sex. If you're not willing to pay for your own and you don't want to get pregnant/get someone pregnant then no sex is an option for you. It's your bill to take care of.

Having sex is not necessary. It's something we like. Therefore having sex is a choice. Your choice, your bill. The drug store sells condoms....

Use of birth control and the type you choose to use are not medical issues. They are personal lifestyle choices. MEDICAL insurance companies should not have to pay for lifestyle choices. They pay for MEDICAL expenses.

Last edited by Ivorytickler; 03-08-2013 at 05:09 PM..

Old 03-08-2013, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
No, it's not. The owners are separate from the business. For instance, the business can be sold. Owners can't be sold. When the owner incorporates that business, he is legally severing himself from the business. So, if the business sells defective merchandise, and a customer sues the business, that customer can't sue the owner. The owner protects his assets by severing his relationship with the business. The owner cannot legally assert his relationship with the business when it suits him, and deny that relationship with the business when it suits him. He makes a decision, that the business is separate, and that means the business is a separate entity. So the question is which church does the business go to. And the answer is none. The business, a thing, doesn't have a religion, doesn't go to church.
As long as the owner owns the business it is the owner's money paying for the BC. It's coming out of his profits. IMO, he has the right not to have to pay for things he does not believe in just as you have the right to pay for things you do believe in.

Old 03-08-2013, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
If a private employer is paying then yes they have the right to say what they will pay for. It might be unfair but it's their money.
If I own a businsess, any benefits I pay for come out of the profits from the company I own. My RTI is reduced by the amount I pay for those benefits. So I am paying for them. I should have the right to pay for what I believe in. If you believe in something else, you have the right to pay for that.

For example, I believe abortion is murder. I'd lock my doors and walk away from my business before I'd pay for an abortion and my unemployed ex employees would just have to live with the depth of my conviction.

Old 03-08-2013, 05:23 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,537,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Rossi View Post
Birth control pills aren't "women's health". They cure no, nor prevent no, disease.
Well, that is where you are wrong. The pill is used for many different reasons - other than pregnancy prevention.

Old 03-08-2013, 05:39 PM

7,359 posts, read 5,465,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Well, that is where you are wrong. The pill is used for many different reasons - other than pregnancy prevention.
If the pill is prescribed for something other than pregnancy prevention then it isn't birth control. Pregnancy prevention at that point is a side effect of the drug.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies