Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2013, 12:59 PM

78,444 posts, read 60,652,129 times

Advertisements

I feel terrible for both families.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2013, 01:24 PM

3,536 posts, read 2,861,580 times
Well obviously it was the windows fault. In fact 6 senators are currently drafting anti-window legislation, don't worry you will be allowed to keep the windows you have now but no new windows will be allowed.
There is also talk on limiting the amount of windows you may have.
The president will be making a tour around the country to drum up support for the anti-window campaign.
The NWA (national window association) opposes all new window legislation, and calls for enforcement of current building codes.

Sorry I could not resist

bill

Old 03-19-2013, 01:38 PM

9,127 posts, read 7,948,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhemi View Post
"A teenager who was shot and killed in Sterling, Virginia over the weekend may have accidentally entered the wrong home after a night of drinking."

Drunk teen shot and killed after friends drop him at wrong house | The Raw Story

Why can't the parents be responsible for their LACK of parenting? Why was your kid out drinking?

Shawn Gordley, Caleb's father, said on Twitter Monday evening that: "I was just informed that Caleb & his friend hopped the fence into the wrong backyard. They both thought it was my house. Caleb then climbed through an UNLOKCED window and staggered up the staircase that is identical to mine."

Viva Loudoun: News: Teenager Identified in Fatal Sterling Shooting as 16-Year-old Park View Junior Who Lived on Same Street

Father looks to be blaming the "unlocked" window already.

I wish things like this didnt happen, but why Shawn Gordley, was your son out drinking?
seems to me he was just relaying the tragic facts. Kids make mistakes...that is why they call them kids and not gods.

to assess blame is weak. I can imagine no one feels good about this.

Old 03-19-2013, 01:46 PM

1,242 posts, read 3,481,548 times
That facts are not out. If the father was aware his son was out, this could be a whole different story.

I still look at it as just a tragic accident. I would like to know know how much his father may have known. Where were they drinking? What adult was there, if any? Was his friend drunk too?

Old 03-19-2013, 01:55 PM

17,401 posts, read 11,984,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
Or maybe he's clearing the air so strangers don't think his son was a thief and deserved to get shot?

Nah... he's probably just looking to blame the window.
Exactly my reaction. Poor boy "only" lived in the house a year, and got confused. What a bunch of bull.

Old 03-19-2013, 02:27 PM

385 posts, read 615,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrat View Post
Well obviously it was the windows fault.
Naw, it was the developer's fault for building a subdivision where the houses look so similar that a drunk 16 year old can't figure out where he lives.

Old 03-19-2013, 02:32 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,656,384 times
Why are there so many stupid homeowners whose first action is to shoot an intruder dead? Why couldn't the homeowner have fired a warning shot, and told him to leave? I'm sure this homeowner's life is ruined forever now. Yay! a teenager makes a mistake, and dies for it. You can all cheer!

Old 03-19-2013, 02:37 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,728,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhemi View Post
That facts are not out. If the father was aware his son was out, this could be a whole different story.

I still look at it as just a tragic accident. I would like to know know how much his father may have known. Where were they drinking? What adult was there, if any? Was his friend drunk too?
An adult had to have provided the alcohol for the kid since a kid can't buy it.

Old 03-19-2013, 02:41 PM

385 posts, read 615,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
Why are there so many stupid homeowners whose first action is to shoot an intruder dead? Why couldn't the homeowner have fired a warning shot, and told him to leave? I'm sure this homeowner's life is ruined forever now. Yay! a teenager makes a mistake, and dies for it. You can all cheer!
Warning shots are a terribly bad idea both tactically and legally. Tactically, you have just told the intruder where you are, and you very likely have blinded and deafened yourself. Have you ever fired a pistol indoors without ear protection? It HURTS.

Legally, you are responsible for any damage done by the bullet. Houses are not impenetrable, and if the round goes outside, where will it end up? Hopefully not in someone innocent.

I also don't see anyone cheering over the teenager's mistake.

Old 03-19-2013, 02:50 PM

6,500 posts, read 6,041,078 times
Horrible accident. But he shouldve been home. If he was drinking he shouldnt have been.

Kids sometimes will sneak out, sure. But part of this is poor parenting. There are a lot of parents out there that dont know where their kids are, who they are with, what their friends are about, dont set curfews that are early as they should be, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies