Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2013, 05:35 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,331,642 times

Advertisements

Quote:
I hope a family member of yours becomes gay so it hits close to home and you'll find it in your heart to accept them and move on.
Don't you mean "comes out of the closet as gay"?

Old 03-26-2013, 05:38 PM

353 posts, read 395,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
Are you suggesting allowing gay marriage is going to make more gays? Just as allowing alcohol has created more alcoholics? Just as legalizing marijuana would make more potheads? Just as legalazing assault weapons means more people own assault weapons. Your logic is flawed, it's based on fear, and is completely groundless. I hope a family member of yours becomes gay so it hits close to home and you'll find it in your heart to accept them and move on.
But I think I understand your source of confusion. I should rephrase and say that widespread acceptance of homosexuality may very well increase the number of men who have sex with men, and women who have sex with women.

Notice that I didn't use the word "gay," because I realize that many individuals who engage in same sex relations do not necessarily view themselves as homosexual or gay. A case in point: incarcerated men who engage in sex with men, while in prison and upon release from prison.

Old 03-26-2013, 05:39 PM

1,963 posts, read 1,823,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary20852 View Post
I gave examples of a heterosexual population of men, who are socialized to accept homosexuality. Many males in prison are not gay, however they engage in widespread homosexuality, even upon release from prison.

This is why I don't believe that homosexuality is purely innate. I think one's socialization and environment can greatly influence whether a person engages in same sex relations.
Men in prison engage in homosexuality because there are no women, part of the time its more about power than pleasure.

I dont think theres anything wrong with being gay, that doesnt mean I will engage in same sex relations simply because I dont think its abnormal.

Old 03-26-2013, 05:40 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,331,642 times
I
Quote:
gave examples of a heterosexual population of men, who are socialized to accept homosexuality. Many males in prison are not gay, however they engage in widespread homosexuality, even upon release from prison.
It's called "Gay For The Stay" for a reason. The inmates I worked with went back to women.

Old 03-26-2013, 05:41 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,982,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary20852 View Post
I gave examples of a heterosexual population of men, who are socialized to accept homosexuality. Many males in prison are not gay, however they engage in widespread homosexuality, even upon release from prison.

This is why I don't believe that homosexuality is purely innate. I think one's socialization and environment can greatly influence whether a person engages in same sex relations.
Except living a free life is in no way the same as living life in prison.

Men in the military are often away from home and women for long periods of time, yet many of them are married with children. By your logic they are more likely to be gay, right?

Old 03-26-2013, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Are you suggesting allowing gay marriage is going to make more gays? Just as allowing alcohol has created more alcoholics? Just as legalizing marijuana would make more potheads? Just as legalazing assault weapons means more people own assault weapons. Your logic is flawed, it's based on fear, and is completely groundless. I hope a family member of yours becomes gay so it hits close to home and you'll find it in your heart to accept them and move on.
I had a relative who was openly gay, however, he died of AIDS. I sincerely loved him, however, I did not accept his lifestyle choices.

Old 03-26-2013, 05:43 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,982,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Don't you mean "comes out of the closet as gay"?
Yes, I meant that. Obviously they will not magically become gay, they have been gay for awhile, they have just been closed up about it. Thanks for pointing that out.

Old 03-26-2013, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Except living a free life is in no way the same as living life in prison.

Men in the military are often away from home and women for long periods of time, yet many of them are married with children. By your logic they are more likely to be gay, right?
No, because many military men have their wives and children living on the military base with them.

Old 03-26-2013, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k.smith904 View Post
Men in prison engage in homosexuality because there are no women, part of the time its more about power than pleasure.

I dont think theres anything wrong with being gay, that doesnt mean I will engage in same sex relations simply because I dont think its abnormal.
Yes, but how do you explain why these men continue to engage in sex with men, even upon their release from prison? Many of them even have wives and girlfriends.

Old 03-26-2013, 05:49 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
Ruth Bader Ginsburg, and she is well known for being against the court making broad and grandiose rulings such as Roe v. Wade.

In the Prop. 8 case, the Supreme Court might just step away from it and let the lower court ruling stand.
It's certainly possible, though it does beg the question - if they're not intending to take broader action (or any action at all), then why even agree to hear the case?

And does this really compare to Roe v Wade? At least in Roe v Wade, there was something to argue about. Heck, even in the Obamacare case, there was a legitimate argument to be discussed. Here, the appropriate ruling is obvious to anyone with even a passing familiarity with the constitution and precedent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies