Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2013, 03:51 PM

3,598 posts, read 4,951,112 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
I agree with you 100%. It's tyranny by the minority. They are attempting to change the very deffinition of marriage. If they can do that, they can change the deffinition of anything. They use false arguments to justify their position, claiming that it is a "civil right" etc. Well, they have a civil right to marry just like anyone else; just not one of the same sex. That is a perversion.

Next, they will be trying to legalize pedophilia, because "love" can't be wrong!
How is the definition of marriage changed by gays getting married?:

"Marriage (also called matrimony or wedlock) is a social union or legal contract between people called spouses that establishes rights and obligations between the spouses, between the spouses and their children, and between the spouses and their in-laws"

Face it, you don't even know the definition of marriage. You made it up on your own.

Old 03-26-2013, 03:51 PM

2,301 posts, read 2,034,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLASTED View Post
This is mostly a rant post. I'm personally sick of the gay talk, sick of the gay agenda being crammed down my throat, and sick of the media and internet presenting the lie that almost everyone thinks gay marriage is wonderful and normal, and you are an uneducated backwoods bigot if you dare to oppose this.

I was listening to NPR today at lunch, and they made it sound like the only opposition to gay marriage are a few extreme sects of Christianity. This is nonsense. It would not be a controversial divided issue if this were true. Then CNN presents their story of the one backwoods Mississippi town where gays aren't welcome or whatever as if only uneducated rednecks are the ones who don't approve of the lifestyle.

I'm sick of the twisting of the Bible to make it appear that there is absolutely nothing wrong with gay marriage. The Bible couldn't be more plain on the topic. Verses like Romans 1:26-27 clearly show that God does not approve of the act, and certainly won't approve of gay marriage. I am not a bigot because I exercise my religious freedom to actually believe in the Bible.
The trouble is; you are going after the concept of gay marriage through the Bible. I just don't think that will fly. See, there is a separation of church and state. So though using the Bible to protest gay marriage is permissible under Freedom of Speech, the very concept has trouble. I figured this out a while back. My religion believes in gay marriage. In fact, my religion stresses that if a person is gay, he or she really needs to not just marry, but marry someone of like gender. And that's just it; I can't push my religious beliefs as if they are the absolute law of the land because we have a separation of church and state. So I simply make gay marriage a non-religious issue and say that everyone should have the right to equal happiness, and the right to marry the person he or she loves.

Old 03-26-2013, 03:52 PM

353 posts, read 395,563 times
The problem that gay people have is, the act of homosexuality is considered immoral and unnatural by most people throughout the world. Even those who support gay marriage, often state, "I support rights for all, but I'm opposed to homosexuality."

I suspect that as more young children are indoctrinated with hollywood movie celebs and entertainers who are gay, public opinion regarding homosexuality will shift. I don't however expect to witness the Supreme Court ruling positively on gay marriage during my lifetime.

Old 03-26-2013, 03:55 PM

4,738 posts, read 4,436,809 times
Quote:
This is mostly a rant post. I'm personally sick of the gay talk, sick of the gay agenda being crammed down my throat, and sick of the media and internet presenting the lie that almost everyone thinks gay marriage is wonderful and normal, and you are an uneducated backwoods bigot if you dare to oppose this.

I was listening to NPR today at lunch, and they made it sound like the only opposition to gay marriage are a few extreme sects of Christianity. This is nonsense. It would not be a controversial divided issue if this were true. Then CNN presents their story of the one backwoods Mississippi town where gays aren't welcome or whatever as if only uneducated rednecks are the ones who don't approve of the lifestyle.

I'm sick of the twisting of the Bible to make it appear that there is absolutely nothing wrong with gay marriage. The Bible couldn't be more plain on the topic. Verses like Romans 1:26-27 clearly show that God does not approve of the act, and certainly won't approve of gay marriage. I am not a bigot because I exercise my religious freedom to actually believe in the Bible.

Well The Koran has its views, as does - no doubt - that Mormon's dudes document. Hell, I bet the ancient Mayans, if we could get a hold of everything, had a view.

1) Who gives a flying f what Romans said? The bible also says no Tatoo, and no working on Saturday. you picketing against those stores?

2) The media I have watched CNN/NPR/etc mostly notes the growing acceptance/need. . .and usually qualifies that with a statistic.

I know its painful to get out of the mainstream. People like you had issues with Slavery ending, seperation of blacks and whites, and with Women (OMG, they so shouldn't vote so says the book I love and worship).

I give them the same advice I would give you

The world moves on with or without you. But lets be clear, we don't need you and we dont' care about your opinon.

Old 03-26-2013, 03:56 PM

3,598 posts, read 4,951,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary20852 View Post
The problem that gay people have is, the act of homosexuality is considered immoral and unnatural by most people throughout the world. Even those who support gay marriage, often state, "I support rights for all, but I'm opposed to homosexuality."
Then you're FOR gay marriage then. Nothing kills your sex life quicker than getting married.

Old 03-26-2013, 03:59 PM

353 posts, read 395,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by logline View Post
How is the definition of marriage changed by gays getting married?:

"Marriage (also called matrimony or wedlock) is a social union or legal contract between people called spouses that establishes rights and obligations between the spouses, between the spouses and their children, and between the spouses and their in-laws"

Face it, you don't even know the definition of marriage. You made it up on your own.
It is a redefinition of the meaning of marriage, because for centuries, marriage has been known to be an institution between a man and a woman. If the court ruled that marriage should also include men marrying men and women marrying women, polygamists, and those in "consensual" incestual relationships could challenge the court, due to "discrimination."

Old 03-26-2013, 04:00 PM

3,879 posts, read 8,385,448 times
Quote:
I don't get why Christians repeatedly bring up the bible in arguments. The Christian bible is only relevant to Christians. Its bears no relevance to non-Christians.

Do some Christians not get this? I mean if a member of a whole other religion pointed to their bible and used that as an argument for or against something, a Christian would laugh cause it obviously would not apply. Right? I mean, if I tried to condemn you for sinning against an abomination written in the bible of Crabcake-ism, would that apply? What if I had over 1 million followers? Still laughable, right?

So yeah, I get why gay marriage is wrong to Christians but Christianity does not apply to everyone else.

I realize your religious leaders tell you that but it aint so!

42,732 posts, read 29,894,256 times
Quote:
Obviously, you didn't listen to the Supreme Court Case this afternoon, otherwise you would be fully aware that no such thing will happen. In fact the court raised concerns about moving too quick on this issue.
The arguments and questioning this afternoon aren't all that predicative with this court. Remember the arguments and questioning regarding the Healthcare Reform Act? People were predicting an altogether different outcome than that which actually did happen.

I think that the court will either go full-fledged pro-gay-marriage, or they will sidestep the issue on a technicality. Roberts does seem to consider his legacy. And if he relegates gay people to second-class status, it will put him in the same class as Taney with the Dred Scott decision. Roberts isn't going to go in that direction. At the same time, he doesn't have to deny states the right to regulate marriage. He just has to undermine them by invoking the full faith and credit clause. The 41 states that don't recognize same-sex marriage must still recognize marriages that are licensed and recorded in other states, same-sex or not, because marriage is a legal contract as well as a ceremony, tradition, whatever. And contracts cannot be voided by crossing state lines.

4,426 posts, read 5,920,902 times
Quote:

I suspect that as more young children are indoctrinated with hollywood movie celebs and entertainers who are gay, public opinion regarding homosexuality will shift. I don't however expect to witness the Supreme Court ruling positively on gay marriage during my lifetime.
the problem religious people have is THEY CHOOSE to believe in such nonsense.. gays don't choose to be gay..(which I'm sure you think otherwise because your religious beliefs tell you so) but while you might be right about the realities of people's opinions.. that doesn't make them right or their position justified.. it makes them bigots choosing to hurt people and their families on a very personal level for the sake of defending your CHOSEN beliefs... which is why we have a secular system of government.. two wolves and a sheep voting on what's for dinner...Our constitution protects ALL...

people can choose to not have such religious beliefs...however you feel on the issue.. YOU CHOOSE to believe what you believe.. and you feel you are right.. we're saying.. you're hurting people, families, and the children of gay families.. but somehow you remain with your beliefs and justify it somehow in your mind..whatever the case.. that is where we're at..
bottom line.. your beliefs hurt people!!

Old 03-26-2013, 04:02 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,415,445 times
Quote:
It is a redefinition of the meaning of marriage, because for centuries, marriage has been known to be an institution between a man and a woman. If the court ruled that marriage should also include men marrying men and women marrying women, polygamists, and those in "consensual" incestual relationships could challenge the court, due to "discrimination."

Unless you have legal training, please refrain from what the court "should also include" because it's obvious you're clueless as to how the Constitution and case law precedent actually works.

And by the way, if the natural progression of gay marriage is incest and polygamy, then outlaw ALL marriage, since hetero marriage is a gateway to everything else! If you can manage to draw a line once, you can do it again. If you can't find independent reasons as to why to ban X other than it will lead to Y, then you're issue is with Y, not X. Save your breath for when someone comes along looking for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies