Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2013, 01:02 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,154,196 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
I'd say no. Religion is the sole source of the hatred of gays. What other source could it have? I can't think of any.
Nature can be a source of hatred of gays. One could argue that there is no natural function of a gay relationship. It doesn't support evolution. Since it's unnatural, it's wrong. I don't think religion is the sole source of the hatred of gays.

Old 03-26-2013, 01:04 PM

3,168 posts, read 2,064,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Nature can be a source of hatred of gays. One could argue that there is no natural function of a gay relationship. It doesn't support evolution. Since it's unnatural, it's wrong. I don't think religion is the sole source of the hatred of gays.
Only a very small percentage of people hate gays. Not supporting gay marriage is not equivalent to hating gays. Who on this forum hates gays, as an example?

Old 03-26-2013, 01:06 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,312,275 times
Quote:
Nature can be a source of hatred of gays. One could argue that there is no natural function of a gay relationship. It doesn't support evolution.
One could argue that.

If that was the reason, then we could expect the same people that 'hate' gays to 'hate' old married couples since these couples are also not able to reproduce/support evolution.

Do we see an overlap of hating gays and hating old people?

If not, that would seem to contradict your hypothesis.

Old 03-26-2013, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombieApocExtraordinaire View Post
Only a very small percentage of people hate gays. Not supporting gay marriage is not equivalent to hating gays. Who on this forum hates gays, as an example?
My point is that whatever that small percentage may be... it's not all due to religion.

Old 03-26-2013, 01:11 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,201,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigr View Post
So what you are saying is you are a good little sheep and believe everything they tell you. Hate to say it but you are just being fooled. And that probably won't work out in the end.

Getting real tired of the gay marriage subject. I mean they are such a small part of our population why must we spend so much time on it. I do believe we have bigger problems right now. Just another reason the MSM is a waste of time.
They are a larger part of the population than the CEO's of the Fortune 1,000 largest companies and they wield considerable influence and have their own lobbyists in Congress fighting actions that would close their precious tax loopholes.

BTW, some say that gays are 7% of the population...not insignificant. Assuming 300 million US population (may be a little low), that would be 21 million people. The majority of people know someone that is gay and a lot of people have a gay family member.

Definition of a conservative: Someone that strongly opposes gay marriage until they find out a close family member is gay and wants to marry (Cheney)...

Translation of conservative view: We only care if it affects us or someone in our family. If it is a stranger, we really don't care. (Well, I guess that's progress but certainly a double standard. I don't base my views on what is happening to family or friends. It is based on what is the correct thing to do for the country).

Before too many shout back, I realize there are now a few conservative exceptions to the above that changed their mind just on the merits of the issue...key words are relatively few.

Old 03-26-2013, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
One could argue that.

If that was the reason, then we could expect the same people that 'hate' gays to 'hate' old married couples since these couples are also not able to reproduce/support evolution.

Do we see an overlap of hating gays and hating old people?

If not, that would seem to contradict your hypothesis.
One could suggest that young gay people are wasted potential while older married folks have no potential to waste.

Old 03-26-2013, 01:14 PM

3,168 posts, read 2,064,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessgeek View Post
Before too many shout back, I realize there are now a few conservative exceptions to the above that changed their mind just on the merits of the issue...key words are relatively few.
What about the vast majority of people who wouldn't change their mind even if their family members are gay and want to marry?

Old 03-26-2013, 01:15 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,312,275 times
Quote:
One could suggest that young gay people are wasted potential while older married folks have no potential to waste.
Sure.

But that'd be a completely different argument than the one you just made, wouldn't it?

We can also test this hypothesis by seeing if 'gay haters' would agree to same-sex marriages over the age of, say, 50.

What do you think the results of that would be?

2,305 posts, read 3,029,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Cannot defend your selfish and bigoted attitude so you resort to defensiveness...you are obviously the one that is to be pigeonholed...as a true radical right winger with nary a thought or care to anyone else's rights. Shame on you.
I am not a Republican, in fact I did not vote because the choices were terrible so that leaves out the right wing radical. And I am Caucasian and my wife is Peurto Rican so that means chances are I am not a bigot.

I just do not care to discuss into any depth anything about politics or any other controversies with die hard liberals. Been there, and I do learn from my mistakes. In fact this is the first time I have ever discussed gay marriage anywhere and I do believe it will be the last time. I have much bigger things in life to deal with than it and it really is not that important to me.

4,176 posts, read 4,672,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombieApocExtraordinaire View Post
Only a very small percentage of people hate gays.
Do you have a source to back up this claim?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies