Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2013, 12:19 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,218,878 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
First, what makes you so sure?
Second, what are you going to do if they don't?

The chance that the SCOTUS will ban same sex marriage is nearly nonexistent. There is no legal view to support that.

It's very likely they'll either say that a state cannot deny a couple from marrying, just as they did in Loving v. Virginia (1967). They also might say that a state has every right to sanction it or not sanction it.
Supreme Court hints that it won't issue sweeping ruling on same-sex marriage - NBC Politics
Quote:
In a historic argument on a challenge to state laws that limit marriage to heterosexual couples, the Supreme Court indicated Tuesday that it might be hesitant to strike down such laws.
Following the oral argument, Pete Williams of NBC News reported that it seemed “quite obvious that the U.S. Supreme Court is not prepared to issue any kind of sweeping ruling” declaring that same-sex couples have a constitutional right to marry.
Williams said there seemed to be “very little eagerness” from any of the justices to “embrace that broad a ruling.”

Old 03-26-2013, 12:44 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,201,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary20852 View Post
But you must understand, true Christians could never join in with homosexuals because it goes against the very teachings in the Bible.
Jesus spent considerable time talking to a prostitute and washing her feet in the Bible. By never "join in", do you mean that you won't even talk to a gay person? Or maybe you talk to them and the first time they view an issue differently than you...never again?

It sure sounds like you are skipping through the portions of the Bible that do not fit with your selective world view...the portions of the Bible that tell us we are not to judge especially. That is the impression you are leaving with your posts. It would be nice if we could all just pretend that rights should be conferred on people that think, act and live as we do. That is not the principle of our country.

I remind you again: "Liberty for ALL (not most or some).

I can't judge for sure, but the person holding up a "God hates f*gs" sign" at an anti-gay rights rally is far worse in my view than a law abiding gay person that does not hate. I doubt you would agree. Technically, we can't judge either. Only God can. The person holding that sign is far more harmful and especially if children see that. It would be nice to hear other people's opinions and yours on this.

The question: Who is worse? A person that on a regular basis is in public with a "God hates f*gs sign or a law abiding gay person that does not hate. You seem to be bold, so make your choice. I say the gay person is better (let's assume there are no other significant differences so that people can't dodge it by saying they need more information).

Yet you are OK with the person holding the sign marrying and possibly passing that hatred to children (family values, right?), but not the gay person.

Old 03-26-2013, 12:48 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,570,059 times
It's not about gays, it's about throwing out traditional marriage so anything goes. They are not redefining it, they want no definition. Polyamory around the corner. Family court nightmare.

Old 03-26-2013, 12:50 PM

16,678 posts, read 15,684,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombieApocExtraordinaire View Post
What does this have to do with the intended purpose of the Supreme Court? They can make unconstitutional rulings just as lawmakers can make unconstitutional laws. We're debating oughts, not 'just accept what happens'. That's undebatable.
There is nowhere to appeal a Supreme Court ruling. The only way to override one is to create a Constitutional Amendment. An unconstitutional ruling from the final authority on constitutional matters is a pretty strange idea. It's pretty obvious you didn't graduate from law school.

Old 03-26-2013, 12:51 PM

Despite my strong support for gay marriage on this thread, I am doubtful that the Supreme Court will rule against Proposition 8. There are some dynamics at work. Judge Roberts took some heat on his swing vote supporting the health care legislation and I doubt he wants to face that again so soon. That is not a good reason necessarily, but certainly a factor. I would not get my hopes up too high. The majority of the justices are considered conservative.

Having said that, I definitely hope it will be overturned (but it won't be). The 41 states w/o gay marriage will have to keep working for marriage equality separately.

Old 03-26-2013, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
It's not about gays, it's about throwing out traditional marriage so anything goes. They are not redefining it, they want no definition. Polyamory around the corner. Family court nightmare.
Some of your same scare tactics were used to try to defeat inter-racial marriages.

Old 03-26-2013, 12:56 PM

3,168 posts, read 2,064,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
There is nowhere to appeal a Supreme Court ruling. The only way to override one is to create a Constitutional Amendment. An unconstitutional ruling from the final authority on constitutional matters is a pretty strange idea. It's pretty obvious you didn't graduate from law school.
Their purpose is outlined in the constitution. We can tell if their rulings are out of their intended purpose. The fact that there is no better way to address it in the system doesn't change how wrong their action is.

Old 03-26-2013, 12:57 PM

1,160 posts, read 1,431,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k.smith904 View Post
Is there anyone against equal marriage whose reasoning does not stem from religious ideology?
Without God's authority there is no right or wrong. Each would decide for themselves what is right. One may say gay marriage is right. Another may say killing gays is right. Without God, there are no absolutes.

Old 03-26-2013, 12:58 PM

7,300 posts, read 6,736,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k.smith904 View Post
Is there anyone against equal marriage whose reasoning does not stem from religious ideology?
I'd say no. Religion is the sole source of the hatred of gays. What other source could it have? I can't think of any.

Old 03-26-2013, 01:01 PM

4,412 posts, read 3,961,139 times
My guess is that they'll overturn DOMA by a slim majority. Robert's is looking for his legacy and he doesn't appear to want to be regarded as "that guy" when the history books are written on this.

I'm not so sure about Prop 8. The State of California isn't defending it, and those who are have not been able to argue a why other than religion, but I don't see the SCOTUS striking it down.

I hope I'm wrong, but I don't see the courts striking down both. It's likely to see DOMA thrown out and states having to work their way through the issue. Look for future filings and pro-gay marriage decisions should this happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies