Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2013, 03:18 PM

3,598 posts, read 4,951,112 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombieApocExtraordinaire View Post
Only a very small percentage of people hate gays. Not supporting gay marriage is not equivalent to hating gays. Who on this forum hates gays, as an example?
You do.

Old 03-26-2013, 03:22 PM

1,963 posts, read 1,823,701 times
There is absolutely no reason to be against gay marriage that doesnt involve bigotry. Period.

Old 03-26-2013, 03:22 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,950,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombieApocExtraordinaire View Post
What about the vast majority of people who wouldn't change their mind even if their family members are gay and want to marry?
You mean like Republican Vice President Dick Cheney or Republican Senator Porter?

Old 03-26-2013, 03:25 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by boiseguy View Post
I think the court will squash this issue once and for all, making it legal nation wide.. to do anything otherwise will just prolong the issue.. you can't have people married in one state, then take that right and status away from them when they move to another.. so DOMA will be gone.. and as for california.. yes it is a referendum of the people, but in accordance with common law rulings.. it is determined that marriage is a right to all citizens..and therefore putting the marriages of ONE group of people up for a vote is unconstitutional in nature and it will be struck down as well...I mean it's the same as saying.. lets vote on whether mormons can be married.. afterall their religion is strange, there's allegations of child abuse by some of them..so they shouldn't be able to marry another mormon.. there needs to be a balancing force in marriage for the sake of the kids.. and that's someone who isn't mormon..point is.. put any "group of people" in place of gays.. and you see how really absurd the whole thing is and how hateful this way of thinking is
I wouldn't be so sure.

The court should strike it down as blatantly unconstitutional. It's obvious to even a child that the law as it stands is unconstitutional. We should clearly be looking at 9-0 decisions, but that's unlikely to happen.

However, that doesn't mean the justices are going to have the courage to do it. Some may not want to make sweeping changes and will strike it down based on the reasoning that the people arguing for Prop 8 can't actually argue on behalf of the state. That would result in a change only in CA, and essentially kick the can down the road on the larger national issue.

We also have at least one justice who routinely reaches decisions based purely on what he personally wants, then goes back later to come up with some shaky legal justification for what he had already decided.

Or, maybe we get lucky and the liberal wing of the supreme court decides to actually tackle the issue and the swing vote and perhaps even one of the conservative justices who actually has an interest in the Constitution sides with them.

Old 03-26-2013, 03:26 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,950,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigr View Post
Did you ever notice everything is ground breaking and historical? And I would say a big majority of Americans can really care less about gay marriage.
I disagree. The last few days I have noticed that is what everyone is talking about ... at work, on the bus, on the radio talk shows, on TV, on the internet, on Facebook ... everyone.

Old 03-26-2013, 03:28 PM

4,426 posts, read 5,920,902 times
i love when religious people say.. we don't hate gays.. we just don't believe in them marrying..

well I'm sure slave owners didn't hate black people either..after all they were an economic asset... it was just a matter of them knowing their place...and I really feel like it's the same thing with gays and marrying.. they want to say.. "your love, your families, your children, your relationship is fine.. it just needs to know it's place"... f*$K YOU!

Old 03-26-2013, 03:31 PM

1,963 posts, read 1,823,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boiseguy View Post
i love when religious people say.. we don't hate gays.. we just don't believe in them marrying..

well I'm sure slave owners didn't hate black people either..after all they were an economic asset... it was just a matter of them knowing their place...and I really feel like it's the same thing with gays and marrying.. they want to say.. "your love, your families, your children, your relationship is fine.. it just needs to know it's place"... f*$K YOU!
"I dont hate my slaves, I just dont want them to have the same rights as me."

No, youre a bigot. Somehow the parallels go unnoticed by those people.

Old 03-26-2013, 03:31 PM

27,657 posts, read 16,147,064 times
whatever your stance you have to conclude that this sudden 'poof' change of public opinion is bs

Old 03-26-2013, 03:33 PM

4,176 posts, read 4,672,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltine View Post
whatever your stance you have to conclude that this sudden 'poof' change of public opinion is bs
It's not sudden. Read Nate Silver's column today. He demonstrates that the change in opinion is measured and not accelerating.

Old 03-26-2013, 03:35 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,415,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltine View Post

It's not sudden. It's gradual, coinciding handsomely with the increased deaths of older folks, who represented the cohort most likely to have an issue with it, and the rise and coming of age of younger folks (1980 born and later, especially) who overwhelmingly have no issue with it.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies