Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2013, 04:39 AM

315 posts, read 256,266 times

Advertisements

Its like saying which kid do I need. If you have one you need that one, if you have ten you need all ten.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2013, 07:07 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,231,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adiosToreador View Post

Also what does god or some fictional book have to do with a secular matter?
I stated early on that I support allowing gays to marry but I have to get a chuckle out of this. Nowhere in the Constitution is there a call for a separation of church and state.

Old 03-28-2013, 07:27 AM

1,922 posts, read 2,779,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
That's nice and all, but for the kids in question it isn't about the difference being raised by mixed-gender parents vs. same-gender parents. It's the difference between growing up with parents of any gender combination or being raised by a foster system.
I'd argue that some kids are better off in a Foster family (they are vetted, and investigated before having children placed in the home) than living with a drugged out mom and an absent baby daddy, who had no investigation or background check. All they had to do to get a baby is stick it in the right hole once.

Old 03-28-2013, 07:43 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,174,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
What would children choose if given a choice? A mom and a dad, two dads or two moms? Grandparents and aunts and uncles are capable or loving children and raising them too but if you gave them a choice, which would they choose?
I'm pretty sure that if you talked to foster children that have been dumped from household to household, they're only looking for someone who will take them in permanently.

If I had a choice between growing up with both of my parents together or being raised by my dad solo, I'd still pick my dad solo. Would haven chosen a gay couple or family members vice having my parents together.

Old 03-28-2013, 08:08 AM

3,879 posts, read 8,385,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
That is a crock. A father is defintely a role model for a girl as it sets her standards for what she should expect and demand from other men that come into her life.
Totally agree!!

I grew up in the typical nuclear family with a married mom and dad and if it weren't for my father, I have no idea where I'd be right now.

My mom, while physically present was nasty, spiteful, unattached and emotionally avoidant. What she taught me was to lie, steal, use people to get what you want and to physically assault when needed.

It was my father that taught me what a lady should look like, how to speak correctly and carry myself with dignity, it was he that encouraged me to go to school, save money, be positive and explore the world. He was 10x the parent she was.

Ultimately, I believe the genders of the parent do not matter, its the quality of the parenting that makes all the difference.

Old 03-28-2013, 08:29 AM

2,616 posts, read 2,399,593 times
My wife died almost 13 years ago. At the time, my 4 kids ranged in age from 7 to 15 years old. I never re-married and raised them on my own. They've all turned out fine, I'm very proud of them. I will admit, it wasn't easy.

Old 03-28-2013, 09:39 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,198,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mensa130 View Post
Sperm + an egg = a family. Where is the problem?
That is how a human is made, not how a family is formed.

Old 03-28-2013, 09:44 AM

46,964 posts, read 26,011,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fordlover View Post
I'd argue that some kids are better off in a Foster family (they are vetted, and investigated before having children placed in the home) than living with a drugged out mom and an absent baby daddy, who had no investigation or background check. All they had to do to get a baby is stick it in the right hole once.
Absolutely. But I take it we also agree that the same kids would be be better off being adopted and raised in a steady, permanent family setting - single parent, a mixed-gender couple or a same-sex couple.

Old 03-28-2013, 09:54 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,231,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adiosToreador View Post
You're right about that. There is a clause written in there though. It goes something like this:
To argue that the government can't create laws based upon a singular religious belief is indeed different than what was originally claimed.

I agree with that.

Old 03-28-2013, 09:59 AM

12,770 posts, read 11,570,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Absolute BS, my fiancee's dad did a great job raising his two daughters and son without their mom around.
So it is your opinion that this child doesn't need the Mom.
At least we have someone answering the question now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies