Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2013, 10:08 AM

4,538 posts, read 4,813,989 times

Advertisements

I'm wondering if she is just expressing the honest thoughts that many women have, but are afraid to admit.

'Dutton believes she simply lacked the wiring for motherhood. She never wanted kids, but didn't want to deny her husband the experience. But then she says some things that make me wonder whether her feelings might have as much to do with the choices she made as a parent than her choice to be a parent in the first place.

"I cannot understand mothers who insist they want children - especially those who undergo years of fertility treatment - then race back to work at the earliest opportunity after giving birth, leaving the vital job of caring for them to strangers… Why have them at all if you don't want to bring them up, or can't afford to? And why pretend you wanted them if you have no intention of raising them? This hypocrisy is, in my view, far more pernicious and difficult to fathom than my own admission that my life would have been better without children.'

Yahoo! Shine - Women's Lifestyle | Healthy Living and Fashion Blogs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2013, 11:17 AM

5,719 posts, read 6,450,395 times
This is why abortion needs to be legal up until the 20th trimester.

Old 04-11-2013, 11:23 AM

11,411 posts, read 7,812,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAMERCAT View Post
I'm wondering if she is just expressing the honest thoughts that many women have, but are afraid to admit.

'Dutton believes she simply lacked the wiring for motherhood. She never wanted kids, but didn't want to deny her husband the experience. But then she says some things that make me wonder whether her feelings might have as much to do with the choices she made as a parent than her choice to be a parent in the first place.

"I cannot understand mothers who insist they want children - especially those who undergo years of fertility treatment - then race back to work at the earliest opportunity after giving birth, leaving the vital job of caring for them to strangers… Why have them at all if you don't want to bring them up, or can't afford to? And why pretend you wanted them if you have no intention of raising them? This hypocrisy is, in my view, far more pernicious and difficult to fathom than my own admission that my life would have been better without children.'

No need to wonder, mystery solved. She didn't want kids and had them anyway. She needs to realize that this is HER story and not make assumptions about others.

Old 04-11-2013, 11:30 AM

1,922 posts, read 2,779,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAMERCAT View Post

Wow, I bet her kids feel a real sense of belonging and motherly love after reading that article.

Old 04-11-2013, 11:31 AM

9,659 posts, read 10,231,741 times
Well, not everyone thinks of the consequences when doing something...

Old 04-11-2013, 11:31 AM

3,846 posts, read 2,386,280 times
She has a valid point about what having kids is all about.

Then again, my parents were never around, and I turned out GREAT!

Much better than if they had been around, I think.

Old 04-11-2013, 12:00 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,208,953 times
I think more than anything else, this is a good reason to make sure that you have common goals before you marry someone. People think they'll change someone, but that usually doesn't work out well in the end. It's not selfish to not want kids--it's honest. I did want children--desperately--but my life would have been easier and less stressful without mine, and there are moments when I've felt overwhelmed. Every mom feels that way at some point or another. I was willing to make that trade off--I adore my children and I don't want to think about my life without them--but when someone is honest enough to admit that they don't feel the same way, you need to listen.

And the OP is right--I think she's expressing the honest thoughts that many women have, but are afraid to admit.

Old 04-11-2013, 12:05 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,722,740 times
Well I hope her kids had a decent dad who did want them.

This is a good example why it's wrong to give custody primarily to mothers.

Old 04-11-2013, 01:18 PM

20,728 posts, read 19,374,196 times
What do you expect from a xenoestrogen created man jaw?

That's why you select hormonally intact girls.

There is a reason why men are attracted to female features, not something who just by the look of it would imply eating its own young. I could not tie a rope around it and jump off the edge of a cliff to get it up for that.

Old 04-11-2013, 01:23 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,300,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
And the OP is right--I think she's expressing the honest thoughts that many women have, but are afraid to admit.
Too true.

I'd rather regret not having children.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies