Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2013, 09:41 AM

14,888 posts, read 10,040,171 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by adiosToreador View Post
...I never said that? What I said is that murdering someone in cold blood or murdering someone in self-defense is still that: murder.
There's no such thing as murder in self-defense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2013, 09:47 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,687,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by derosterreich View Post
Yeah, last time I didn't get the budget I wanted I pulled out the Colt Python for the deal-breaker.

Ring the bell, we got a dumb-dumb.
I would say dumb dumb is thinking that if everyone is armed, there wouldn't be an increase in every day road rage/work place arguments ending with weapons been pulled. That's the nature of anger/rage -people aren't always rational. Or perhaps you haven't grasped that yet.

Old 04-15-2013, 10:08 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,687,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northnut View Post
I just saw a similar story on I think it was 20/20 last weekend. A truck w/I think 3 teens in it pulled out in front of another truck. That truck had a married couple w/a kid in it. That truck ended up following the teens for I think it was 30 miles or so & when the teens pulled up in front of one of their houses, the guy followed. He go out of his truck, confronted the teens in their truck & then punched the driver thru the window. Two of the teens got out & started hitting him. The wife in the other truck got out their gun they had & handed it to her husband who proceeded to point it at the teens & the gun discharged, but it didn't hit anyone. The idiot couple, WITH THE KID IN THE TRUCK STILL BY THE WAY, left but then circled back & shot at the truck that was in the driveway still. I believe they're now in jail. Effing morons who can't control their temper made worse by the presence of a gun.
30 miles! - somebody was sure was fuming. It sounds like they're in the right place now.

I don't get how some people say that if more people were armed, there wouldn't be an increase of shootings with this sort of incident. Maybe they can see the better side of morons, like the couple in the truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
I have pointed out on any number of occasions, that if you really believe this, then look at Kennesaw Georgia. They passed a law years ago, requiring head of household to be armed.

Violent crime rates are some of the lowest in the nation, even though I believe they are considered a suburb of Atlanta. Ranked one of the best 10 places to live, population increase made it one of the fastest growing communities. 25 years murder free.

When Kennesaw passed that law, it was proclaimed they were "Gun Town USA", that there would be gunfights in the street, etc etc.

The 2 items you worry about did not get a whole lot worse.

Just something to consider. If you think I am incorrect, do a little research, and tell me if you conclude anything different.
Weapons in the home for self defense, are fine by me. Although laws to that effect sound heavy handed to me- do you go to jail if you don't have one?

What I'm really talking about is another post saying everyone should be armed. In that scenario, I think violence would get a lot worse.

Old 04-15-2013, 10:12 AM

6,391 posts, read 5,169,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Weapons in the home for self defense, are fine by me. Although laws to that effect sound heavy handed to me- do you go to jail if you don't have one?

What I'm really talking about is another post saying everyone should be armed. In that scenario, I think violence would get a lot worse.
There is a provision that allows you if you object to owning a weapon, so you don't HAVE to have one.

Look up Kennesaw Georgia.
Lot's of neat info about them, their passing of that requirement, all the funny predictions that didn't come true.

It absolutely negates all the claims that people make that it causes more crime, etc etc.

Old 04-15-2013, 10:20 AM

3,216 posts, read 2,085,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
If there is anyway possible not to kill - that is what you do. If it means fleeing out the back door - that's what you do- Just because you have a gun does not mean that you use it. If there is no route of escape for you then you do what must be done. Always leave a route of escape for your enemy...it's the honorable thing to do...You don't kill out of spite or sport.
Sometimes it just comes down to kill or be killed. Which would you choose?

Old 04-15-2013, 11:05 AM

4,373 posts, read 3,229,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Problem your having here, is that you expect folks to put a different meaning on a word that denotes a crime. Different terminology is used to describe self defense. Saying "murder" , intbe context of a killing in self defense, implies a crime. So folks are getting their hackles up. Don't much give a care , myself. I know the difference, and just kinda yawn at your use of specific vebage. It is rather inflammatory and accusitive, however. Seems like just pushing folks buttons, on cursory examination.
Ah, I see. There are some states (I'm not sure which at the moment) that still arrest someone even if the killing was in self-defense.

The overall impact I'm trying to leave is that killing someone is still killing someones, regardless if it's justified or not.

Though I do thank you for clarifying the terminology for me.

Old 04-15-2013, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
You couldn't be more wrong. On this issue I'm Celebrating Pro-Choice. Those scum bags CHOOSE to try and rob someone who was ready to defend themselves with deadly force. Those scumbags are reaping the rewards of their choice.

That is all, carry on with your dirge.
I'm not demeaning the victim of the attempted-robbery here. I'm just calling out everyone who celebrates death and the loss of human life.

It's always a sad day when fellow Americans celebrate it and it's a throw in the face of everything I fought for 4 years for.

Though you wouldn't understand that.

As you were.

Old 04-15-2013, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Sorry, Murder in self defense? That doesn't meet the smell test. If I defend myself, and the other person dies, it's not murder. Murder requires malice and aforethought.
Maybe so and I concede I mixed up the terms, though killing in cold blood and killing in self-defense is still just that: killing.

Same message, different terms. I'm not saying it's wrong, I'm not saying it's right. I'm stating it objectively, so it's amusing how a lot of people in this thread (not including you) are getting their collective panties in a bunch.

Hilarious, really.

Old 04-15-2013, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
There's no such thing as murder in self-defense.
I concede that. I was mistaken, but killing someone is still killing someone.

I'm not saying that killing-in-self-defense is wrong, but I'm just stating an objective fact here. No more, no less.

Old 04-15-2013, 11:20 AM

4,738 posts, read 4,436,224 times
After years of searching you actually have one case of a home owner not shooting himself, his wayward neihbor, or his wife. The home owner didn't let their kid chew a bullet on accident or on purpose. After lots of looking, you have cherry picked a story where things worked out the way you envision it should

Too bad that for every home owner who "defends" himself, a 100 die by accident or suicide (or more).

Also too bad, the home owner was shot (no news on status). Chances are everyone would be healthier if the home owner would of not had a weapon. Unless the home owner was a target (i.e. a gang member themselves/something)

Quote:
Another 2 pieces of garbage have been flushed.

At least the citizens if North Carolina won't have to pay for a trial and incarceration.

And for those who think I am cheering at the deaths of 2 people, it's not that simple. These two pieces of garbage chose to invade someone's home for whatever reason. They did so ARMED. They chose their own death. They could have chosen to stay at home, and watch tv, have a beer, and discuss the baseball season. They could have done laundry, played video games, dozens of things were available to them. They chose to commit an armed invasion of someone's home, and paid the ultimate consequence.

This was their choice. Choices have consequences, this time, the consequence was their lives.

Home invasion suspects killed in gunfight with NC homeowner | Fox News
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies