Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2013, 06:47 PM

1,520 posts, read 1,874,143 times

Advertisements

Religion is a mental disease
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2013, 06:50 PM

1,520 posts, read 1,874,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
I dont ever see anyone ever complain about the amish when they refuse medical aid for their children. I wonder why. same thing here. the state and fed governments can go suck an egg.
When the killer shot up the Amish school, they sure as hell didn't object to their kids being hauled out in an ambulance with a MOTOR and taken to a hospital that has ELECTRICITY. And of course since the Amish have no health plan, we paid for it all.

Old 04-28-2013, 06:55 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,327,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
I dont ever see anyone ever complain about the amish when they refuse medical aid for their children. I wonder why. same thing here. the state and fed governments can go suck an egg.
Amish? The Amish don't refuse medical care. That would be the JW.

Old 04-28-2013, 07:05 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C. Maurio View Post
When the killer shot up the Amish school, they sure as hell didn't object to their kids being hauled out in an ambulance with a MOTOR and taken to a hospital that has ELECTRICITY. And of course since the Amish have no health plan, we paid for it all.
Actually, the Amish have some sort of "self-insurance" funds, do fund raisers, etc, when their members need health care that they can't afford.

Top Ten FAQ . The Amish . WGBH American Experience | PBS
Do Amish visit doctors? | Amish America

Old 04-29-2013, 09:20 AM

7,280 posts, read 10,954,215 times
Quite a few medicines are nothing more than a leap in faith too. Not saying anything about religion, don't read into this.

So many treatments and medicines are nothing more than guesses. The medical industry treats symptoms not causes. It used to be that when a disease impacted to welfare of large numbers of people medical science went about finding a cause then then figuring out how to prevent the disease from happening. No longer. Now the focus is on treating symptoms and finding a cure.

A cure works AFTER you get the disease. Cures are much more expensive than prevention.

Old 04-29-2013, 09:22 AM

7,280 posts, read 10,954,215 times
Quite a few medicines are nothing more than a leap in faith too. Not saying anything about religion, don't read into this.

So many treatments and medicines are nothing more than guesses. The medical industry treats symptoms not causes. It used to be that when a disease impacted to welfare of large numbers of people medical science went about finding a cause then then figuring out how to prevent the disease from happening. No longer. Now the focus is on treating symptoms and finding a cure.

A cure works AFTER you get the disease. Cures are much more expensive than prevention. I think a lot of people don't choose faith over medicine but simply don't have faith in the medicine.

Old 04-29-2013, 03:58 PM

37,107 posts, read 41,277,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post

A cure works AFTER you get the disease. Cures are much more expensive than prevention. I think a lot of people don't choose faith over medicine but simply don't have faith in the medicine.
These people did it because of religion.

Medicines are not a "leap in faith." The biochemists know exactly how the majority of them work. So treatments are not "guesses."

Prevention is ideal, but not everything can be prevented. Researchers still look for causes and ways to prevent illness. Often what can be prevented depends on what the patient is willing to do, also. For example, there are still people who use tobacco, despite the overwhelming evidence that using it increases the risk of cancer. There are people who refuse vaccines, which are undoubtedly the most successful medical achievement in disease prevention ever. The focus of medicine is not just to treat symptoms, and it gets a bit tiresome to hear that repeated here on CD so much.

This tragedy happened strictly due to the religious beliefs of the parents. Hopefully they will not be allowed to risk killing another child.

Old 04-29-2013, 04:47 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,691,193 times
When I was in school (eons ago) there was a girl who got cancer. In those days cancer was extremely rare in kids, in fact she is the only one I ever heard of. The parents refused treatment on the basis of religion, Jehovah's Witness I think.

Everyone urged them to seek treatment but they relied on faith and the girl died. To me that's really bad parenting, to not even do something medical to help your own child who has already been diagnosed with a fatal illness. Prevention isn't always possible, probably this girl's illness was genetic, but you should try to do something to help the person when there is something wrong.

Old 05-16-2013, 11:55 AM

12,406 posts, read 18,974,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
When I was in school (eons ago) there was a girl who got cancer. In those days cancer was extremely rare in kids, in fact she is the only one I ever heard of. The parents refused treatment on the basis of religion, Jehovah's Witness I think.

Everyone urged them to seek treatment but they relied on faith and the girl died. To me that's really bad parenting, to not even do something medical to help your own child who has already been diagnosed with a fatal illness. Prevention isn't always possible, probably this girl's illness was genetic, but you should try to do something to help the person when there is something wrong.
I have a hard time taking some religious practices seriously. If they think God will cure the kid, maybe God works also through enhancing scientific knowledge. Do they think this is the one aspect of life that God hates? Progress? Learning?

In another light, if people do have some congenital disorder that it is highly likely they will pass on to their offspring, why bring another life into the world with the guarantee that there will be this degree of suffering? Isn't that some sort of sin? Most religious texts were written before we even knew that inherited disease was possible, but if those texts were written in the light of today's knowledge, I wonder how much they would have changed?

Old 05-16-2013, 12:08 PM

5,562 posts, read 5,683,672 times
This is futher proof that people are stupid and it also proves that religion and science also dont have all the answers.
Sometimes you live and sometimes people will die and even science and doctors can't fix the problem, but knowledge of which REALLY will help you when its a COMMON sickness etc then people need to TRY ALL possible solutions.

Any powers and many things in this world and many people's body react different to meds and treatments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies