Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2013, 10:47 AM

1,922 posts, read 2,779,933 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
No, he donated the EQUIVALENT of his inheritance 30 years after he got it. You'll notice he sure as hell invested and made a lot of money off of that inheritance. How do you think he got the money to start bain capital in the 1980's so soon after he graduated?
By working at Bain for 8 years, advancing to the position of VP, and by being really good at what he did and working hard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2013, 10:47 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,544,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minethatbird View Post
Perhaps you could give some advice on how they're going to pay back their loans.
Perhaps Mitt could. Instead of advocating for 'quiverful'. Good Lord. Let me repeat it - so GLAD Mitt lost the election.

Old 05-03-2013, 10:51 AM

1,922 posts, read 2,779,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
You seriously believe that Mitt Romney "empathizes with the plight of the common man"?

No, but I don't believe ones wealth automatically prevents them from doing so either.

At what dollar amount can you no longer empathise? 1,000 or 100,000 or 10,000,000.

Old 05-03-2013, 10:56 AM

2,309 posts, read 4,386,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
"Quiverfull" is a loaded word. I do not like it.

Quiverfull is a Christian code would like "" cleave "" as in Cleave to your wife.

I'm surprised he didn't use the phrase "" yea brethren "" in his speech.

Old 05-03-2013, 10:56 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,894,387 times
I don't see him saying anyhtig but like in context of the speech likely just passig on the blkessing and joys he has gotten from having children.I'd be more wrroied about him if he said don't have children ;go otu an earn alot of money i life because that was more rewqarding to me in the end.Anyone who can listen to a perosn express what he has done and experinced without feelig nsome anger towards that perosn :alreayd has problems if you ask me. I know when Obama has talked about his family and children i his life such as his book :i do not doubt his feeligns as a recommendation that its real and a good thing.

Old 05-03-2013, 11:04 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,898,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fordlover View Post
By working at Bain for 8 years, advancing to the position of VP, and by being really good at what he did and working hard.
And you think that Joe Schmo for Hoboken, graduate of City University, could have secured a position at Bain, and advanced to the position of VP after a few years, and then had the capital to start Bain Capital? Because it's not like money and connections could have played any role, at all?

Again, that's how these things works. Who you know, and your own personal wealth ARE advantages. If Mr Romney hadn't used those advantages to advance his career, he would have been stupid. And he's not a stupid man. He just didn't start at the ground level. He started at the corner office level. And he can empathize with the guy who started at the ground level, but he really doesn't know what it's like. He's worked hard, and he's worked long hours, and he seems like a very decent guy. But the choices that have been available to him are not the choices available to Joe Schmo. And there is a large chasm between those two sets of choices, where one set of choices means always having options, and the other set of choices means rarely having options. It's the reason why wealth is liberating. Poverty means not having options. And when you've never not had options, it's very hard to understand what that means.

Old 05-03-2013, 11:06 AM

6,993 posts, read 6,342,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fordlover View Post
No, but I don't believe ones wealth automatically prevents them from doing so either.

At what dollar amount can you no longer empathise? 1,000 or 100,000 or 10,000,000.
I don't think it's a matter of Mitt "no longer empathizing," but rather Mitt has never empathized, because he has never lived the life of an ordinary American. He hasn't a clue...

Old 05-03-2013, 11:09 AM

6,933 posts, read 8,497,657 times
Romney stays true to his beliefs, so he deserves respect for that though I don't agree with most of what he preaches. After all, he's a leader of the LDS, and LDS is probably considered a cult by most Americans. He knew his audience and he said to them things they, too, believe in.

Old 05-03-2013, 11:11 AM

6,993 posts, read 6,342,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post
Romney stays true to his beliefs, so he deserves respect for that though I don't agree with most of what he preaches. After all, he's a leader of the LDS, and LDS is probably considered a cult by most Americans. He knew his audience and he said to them things they, too, believe in.
He is devoutly Mormon. I don't think a devoutly any religion should POTUS, hence my OP.

Old 05-03-2013, 11:35 AM

8,895 posts, read 5,378,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Perhaps Mitt could. Instead of advocating for 'quiverful'. Good Lord. Let me repeat it - so GLAD Mitt lost the election.
Did Mitt actually say Don't pay your loans?

Most Mormons I've know would not have advised this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies