Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2013, 06:52 AM

8,895 posts, read 5,376,871 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Sweet, heavenly Jesus. I am SO GLAD this man did not get elected. Quiverfull ~ just no. No. That is NOT the advice you give to graduating college seniors.
Perhaps you could give some advice on how they're going to pay back their loans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2013, 06:54 AM

9,879 posts, read 8,022,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norgy View Post

Anyway, what do people expect? He's a Mormon!
Before Mormons took the "so many kids" hit,
didn't they say the same thing about Catholics

Old 05-03-2013, 06:57 AM

15,080 posts, read 14,331,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
Why is it, some on the left have to make up silly lies just because someone doesn't share their opinions?

Sad, really sad.

For the record Mitt and Ann lived in a rented basement apartment while Mitt went to school and , heaven forbid, Ann was a stay at home Mom, taking care of the kids.
What exactly, am I lying about?

"They were not easy years. You have to understand, I was raised in a lovely neighborhood, as was Mitt, and at BYU, we moved into a $62-a-month basement apartment with a cement floor and lived there two years as students with no income... Neither one of us had a job, because Mitt had enough of an investment from stock that we could sell off a little at a time."
Fact-Checking Ann and Mitt Romney's Hardknock Early Years

Old 05-03-2013, 07:05 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,318,915 times
Well, he isn't a proponent of slavery, so that would be a lie. But since you leftists are fond of lying, I can see why you would give a lie an A+.

Old 05-03-2013, 07:21 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,318,915 times
You certainly read a lot into his speech.

You apparently are not aware of current research that suggests that women, by choice, are dropping out of the workforce to raise a family. Would you deny them that choice?

What do you see that is wrong with wanting a family? Women were originally thrust into the workforce, not by choice, but out of necessity because of the ever increasing cost of living and the difficulty of living on the income of one.

I think it's fine if a woman wants a career; but, women who wish to stay home and raise a family should not be disparaged by people like you. Why so intolerant of their choice?

Old 05-03-2013, 07:33 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,570,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
You certainly read a lot into his speech.

You apparently are not aware of current research that suggests that women, by choice, are dropping out of the workforce to raise a family. Would you deny them that choice?

What do you see that is wrong with wanting a family? Women were originally thrust into the workforce, not by choice, but out of necessity because of the ever increasing cost of living and the difficulty of living on the income of one.

I think it's fine if a woman wants a career; but, women who wish to stay home and raise a family should not be disparaged by people like you. Why so intolerant of their choice?
What?

Where did anyone say women choosing their own life path was wrong?

Encouraging young people with massive student loans to quit working and have children is irresponsible on many levels.

Old 05-03-2013, 08:11 AM

1,922 posts, read 2,779,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
What?

Where did anyone say women choosing their own life path was wrong?

Encouraging young people with massive student loans to quit working and have children is irresponsible on many levels.

It's what their religion teaches, don't be so stupid.

You think it's more responsible how many of the poor black teach their children? Don't finish highschool, have babies with as many different baby daddy as you can, it's best to get into drugs or theft to support your drug habit, continue to live in poverty, suck on the teet of the welfare mamma, then teach your children to follow your path.

For the record, Mormans by in large as a group contribute significantly to our civilization, they don't break laws, are financially responsible, VERY self reliant, and a great people to befriend. To claim their way of life and teachings are irresponsible is grossly negligent on your part if you have no understanding of the reasons they teach what they do.

And no, I'm not Morman, hell I'm barely a Christian

Old 05-03-2013, 08:11 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,894,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
Why is it, some on the left have to make up silly lies just because someone doesn't share their opinions?

Sad, really sad.

For the record Mitt and Ann lived in a rented basement apartment while Mitt went to school and , heaven forbid, Ann was a stay at home Mom, taking care of the kids.
For the record Mitt and Ann lived in a rented basement apartment while Mitt went to undergraduate school, and they lived by selling Mitt's stock. Then, when Mitt went to graduate school, his father bought them their first house for their growing family.

The majority of college students don't have a stock portfolio that they can liquidate to cover their expenses. The majority of college students don't have rich fathers buying them four-bedroom homes close to campus (that is probably nicer than many of the university professors could afford). And the cost of college, in real terms, has exploded over the past 30 years.

Old 05-03-2013, 08:36 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,570,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fordlover View Post
It's what their religion teaches, don't be so stupid.
Aside from the personal attack.....their religion does not tell them to begin their families before paying off their student debt, or even before getting a job.

Quote:
You think it's more responsible how many of the poor black teach their children? Don't finish highschool, have babies with as many different baby daddy as you can, it's best to get into drugs or theft to support your drug habit, continue to live in poverty, suck on the teet of the welfare mamma, then teach your children to follow your path.
What does that have to do with anything?

Quote:
For the record, Mormans by in large as a group contribute significantly to our civilization, they don't break laws, are financially responsible, VERY self reliant, and a great people to befriend. To claim their way of life and teachings are irresponsible is grossly negligent on your part if you have no understanding of the reasons they teach what they do.

And no, I'm not Morman, hell I'm barely a Christian
Did I say anything disparaging about the LDS church? I have many friends who are Mormon, and they all figured out the responsible way to parent....after paying off student loans. Please do not make assumptions about my views on the LDS church.

Old 05-03-2013, 09:25 AM

1,922 posts, read 2,779,636 times
Quote:
Aside from the personal attack.....their religion does not tell them to begin their families before paying off their student debt, or even before getting a job.
No personal attack. I suggested you not be stupid as giving you advice. If I said you are stupid, that would be a personal attack. Why so sensitive?

All this is a moot point, Mitt didn't suggest that they start their families before getting a job or paying off loans. He suggested they start their family if they can. If you don't have a job, and have insane debt, then it is ill advised to begin a family.

Quote:
What does that have to do with anything?
You made it sound like Mitt's advice was just about the worst road a young married couple could go down, I was simply suggesting there were less ideal paths.

Quote:
Did I say anything disparaging about the LDS church? I have many friends who are Mormon, and they all figured out the responsible way to parent....after paying off student loans. Please do not make assumptions about my views on the LDS church.

The LDS church teaches to avoid unnecessary debt, to be self sufficient and reliant, to delay instant gratification urges. If a young couple determines they can pay the student loans off and start a family on a single income, who do you think you are to tell them they are being irresponsible parents?

How many children do YOU have Zimobo?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies