Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2013, 09:31 AM

29,218 posts, read 22,371,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
What I want to know is whether or not he is saying as soon as physically possible or financially possible (or both).
Physically possible, period.

Mitt's church has always encouraged it's members to marry young and start having kids right away.

Of course, many of their young couples postpone their child bearing until their education is complete, and there are many Mormons who are not 'true blue' practitioners of the Word Of Wisdom who put off childbearing until they are financially prepared for them, but by and large, Mormon couples do have children younger than most couples now.

In my lifelong experience living among them, most Mormon families aren't exceptionally large; most of the folks I know have 3 kids, but 4 or 5 is not unusual. More than 5 is.

However, the Mormon divorce rate is about the same as it is in the general population, and because they marry young, there are lots of single divorced mothers with 3-4 kids. The church has lots of resources for single members to meet each other, and many second marriages end up with 6 to 11 kids as a result.
The church is also very active in adoption services as well. I know several families who had 4 children of their own and adopted 3 or 4 more children who were orphaned or put up for adoption for other reasons. They do their best to keep children born to members within the church.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2013, 09:38 AM

1,922 posts, read 2,778,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
For the record Mitt and Ann lived in a rented basement apartment while Mitt went to undergraduate school, and they lived by selling Mitt's stock. Then, when Mitt went to graduate school, his father bought them their first house for their growing family.

The majority of college students don't have a stock portfolio that they can liquidate to cover their expenses. The majority of college students don't have rich fathers buying them four-bedroom homes close to campus (that is probably nicer than many of the university professors could afford). And the cost of college, in real terms, has exploded over the past 30 years.
Why aren't we congratulating Mitt for finding an alternative to debt to fund his education and living a meger existance in his early marriage. I know, I know, because he's rich, and we hate evil rich people.

For your bolded comment, really?
University professors earn more than $100,000 on average, according to data from the Bureau of Labor Statistics, and assistant professors earn nearly $64,000 annually, far more than the national average for workers.

A single University professor making a 100,000 a year could probably afford the average 4 bedroom house, even near campus.

Old 05-03-2013, 09:43 AM

1,922 posts, read 2,778,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Physically possible, period.

Mitt's church has always encouraged it's members to marry young and start having kids right away.
So says you. If Mormans started having children as soon as they were physically able to, there would be a bunch of pregnant 12 year olds running around.

That doesn't seem to be the case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
... there are lots of single divorced mothers with 3-4 kids...
I find it hard to believe that a man in good standing with the church wouldn't be heavily involved in his childrens' lives.

A LDS friend of mine is divorced with 3 kids, and yes she is a single mom, but he is also a single dad. He spends as much time with them as he is allowed.

Old 05-03-2013, 09:51 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,566,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fordlover View Post
How many children do YOU have Zimbo?
I have 2. How about you?

Quote:
Why aren't we congratulating Mitt for finding an alternative to debt to fund his education
He was a trust fund baby, something that was none of his doing. Why should he be congratulated for being born wealthy?

Old 05-03-2013, 09:53 AM

Quote:
actually, college is relatively affordable for Mormon students, because of how they set up BYU.
BYU is extremely difficult to get in. Both the campus and Provo, the town that is home to BYU are full to bursting.
To relieve some of the enrollment pressure, the church converted Ricks College, a small 2-year Mormon college in Rexburg, Idaho, into a full 4-year institution, complete with post-graduate degrees and re-named the school to Brigham Young University Idaho. The campus is now over twice as large as it was, and is full of very large new buildings. A huge auditorium that is brand new can hold the entire population of Rexburg with room to spare.

BYUI's creation caused Rexburg to explode in population, and Rexburg is now twice as large as it once was and is one of the fastest growing cities in the state.

Attending BYU and BYUI is not cheap or free. to the reverse, it's about as expensive as a lot of Ivy League schools to attend.
BYU is, for Mormons, similar to an Ivy League college is for non-Mormons in prestige, and it's admission requirements are very tough.

Most LDS attend state 2 and 4 year schools, and alway have. Many more are getting correspondence degrees from home now.

As it is everywhere, increasingly more young adults are postponing college for a few years. In the LDS church, it was common for a young man to go to Ricks for a couple of years, then go on a mission. As soon as the mission was finished, they would come back and marry their girlfriends.

These days, the young men go serve their mission after high school, then come back and go to college. As before, many get married as soon as they go back home, but increasingly, they are marrying while in college. Young women are now serving more missions than before, and they too go to college, where they meet their mates.

Old 05-03-2013, 10:03 AM

7,444 posts, read 7,018,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
Thank God. Instead we have a guy who wants 15 year old girls to be able to buy abortion pills over the counter without their parents knowing about it! Society saved!

Old 05-03-2013, 10:08 AM

Quote:
So says you. If Mormans started having children as soon as they were physically able to, there would be a bunch of pregnant 12 year olds running around.

That doesn't seem to be the case.

That's a ridiculous exaggeration. The Mormons have never encouraged underage marriages. Encouraging their young adults to marry young and then start having children while still young is entirely different than this idiotic remark of yours.

I find it hard to believe that a man in good standing with the church wouldn't be heavily involved in his childrens' lives.

A LDS friend of mine is divorced with 3 kids, and yes she is a single mom, but he is also a single dad. He spends as much time with them as he is allowed.
Just like any religion, many LDS marry outside their faith. Just as many more aren't fervent believers and don't tithe or attend church regularly. But once divorced, as it is in other faiths, many return to the church for many reasons, including finding another spouse.
I never said Mormon fathers aren't involved with their children after a divorce. Most are, even if they don't have physical custody of their kids, and just like everywhere, the blended families work out visitation and all the other stuff.

Just as it is everywhere, some parents are deadbeats, but most are not at all. The Mormons are no different from the rest of us in that. Parents love their children, no matter what the religion may be, whether they are divorced or not.

Old 05-03-2013, 10:10 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,884,155 times
Quote:
Why aren't we congratulating Mitt for finding an alternative to debt to fund his education and living a meger existance in his early marriage. I know, I know, because he's rich, and we hate evil rich people.

University professors earn more than $100,000 on average, according to data from the Bureau of Labor Statistics, and assistant professors earn nearly $64,000 annually, far more than the national average for workers.

A single University professor making a 100,000 a year could probably afford the average 4 bedroom house, even near campus.
In the late 1970's, university professors weren't making $100,000 a year. They probably could not afford to buy a house like Romney's for cash outright, and many wouldn't have been able to afford the mortgage on such a house.

106 Winn St, Belmont, MA 02478 - Zillow

I don't hate rich people, at all. I'm pointing out that the Romneys weren't living a meager existence. Many college students live in basement apartments. I lived in an attic apartment and in a basement apartment when I was in college. I also worked two jobs on top of going to school full-time. I respect that Mr Romney wasn't living high on the hog when he was at school, and that he is an astute businessman. I respect Mr Romney's faith, and I respect that he and his wife raised a family they can be proud of. But that doesn't mean that we cannot acknowledge that Mr Romney was born with many advantages, and that his wealth has insulated him from a lot of the issues that average Americans must face.

Old 05-03-2013, 10:12 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,655,954 times
Quote:
Didn't they get financial assistance from family though?
They did. It wasn't like they were a starving, struggling couple with no help from family. Both Mitt and Ann came from wealthy parentage.

Old 05-03-2013, 10:18 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,655,954 times
Quote:

Where I live, a professor making 100,000 would end up in a townhouse. A professor making $64,000 couldn't afford to live near the university. If she wanted to buy, she (or he) would have to live at least 20 miles south or west of here and commute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies