Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2013, 07:28 PM

2,117 posts, read 1,881,339 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post

In other words, the video is claiming that we can't sell US debt because there's no more "people" that want it - which is pure nonsense.

Ken
There might still be a market for US securities, but the system crashes without an ever-increasing base. That, my friend, is NOT a good model. (you know damn well what this type of model is called, when it's not the federal government, too)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2013, 07:29 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,337,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Some_Random_Guy View Post
I guess long-term investing isn't your game? That's ok, not everyone has the patience and vision for it.
I've had investments for 25 years or so - I just stay away from gold and commodities in general. It's wayyyyyy to volitile for me - and long term it's performed VERY POORLY.

Ken

Old 05-10-2013, 07:33 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,337,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Some_Random_Guy View Post
There might still be a market for US securities, but the system crashes without an ever-increasing base. That, my friend, is NOT a good model. (you know damn well what this type of model is called, when it's not the federal government, too)
The deficit is on the way down. If it continues to shrink the way it has in the last few years, it will soon be gone and the US will be running a surplus.

Ken

Old 05-10-2013, 11:14 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,645,820 times
The thing with gold, you don't gain or lose worth.

As the dollar gains strength and commodities lower in price so does gold.

The same amount of gold in 1928, that it took to buy a gallon of gas, a gallon of milk, or a loaf of bread, it takes today.

They get you and tax you by making you use and bank dollar bills

Old 05-11-2013, 04:47 AM

5,960 posts, read 5,547,627 times
Quote:
OK, let me RE-PHRASE it to EXACTLY what the video said: "...It's such a huge amount of money, that Uncle Sam is starting to out of people to borrow from..." - 1 minute, 10 seconds into the video.

In other words, the video is claiming that we can't sell US debt because there's no more "people" that want it - which is pure nonsense.

Ken
Quote:
"...It's such a huge amount of money, that Uncle Sam is starting to out of people to borrow from..."
If you're going to quote the narrator then at least get the quote straight. You didn't do that TWICE.

And, by the way, what the narrator ACTUALLY said was true. When you start running out of people to dump IOUs on then you must hold them yourself:

Old 05-11-2013, 04:57 AM

5,960 posts, read 5,547,627 times
Quote:
The deficit is on the way down. If it continues to shrink the way it has in the last few years, it will soon be gone and the US will be running a surplus.

Ken
Sorry but a $10 billion surplus with $20 TRILLION in debt and $1 TRILLION in annual interest payments is not good for America no matter what His Royal Highness Krugman says.

Old 05-11-2013, 11:43 AM

46,963 posts, read 26,005,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
The gold bugs will be around to tell you that gold is the only constant in the equation, and that it's in fact everything else that fluctuates.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
The thing with gold, you don't gain or lose worth.

As the dollar gains strength and commodities lower in price so does gold.

The same amount of gold in 1928, that it took to buy a gallon of gas, a gallon of milk, or a loaf of bread, it takes today.

They get you and tax you by making you use and bank dollar bills
Called it!

Old 05-11-2013, 12:10 PM

3,846 posts, read 2,385,849 times
I traded my labor for Federal Reserve Stocks, but they all got burnt up in bread, butter and gasoline.

Old 05-11-2013, 12:59 PM

8,483 posts, read 6,935,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Au contraire, Ken

I have been at this for 25 years and do not invest for the short term.

I invest anywhere from 5-10% of net wealth in gold. That is held in the form of American Eagles and Maple Leafs. The rest in in other investments ranging from bonds. stocks, real-estate, and other business ventures. Currently (with the exception of 401Ks), I am out of the stock and bond market. My kids are "all in".

At this point, I do not need any "home runs"and just take profits when I have enough. Preservation of capital is the key to maintaining wealth. Staying 100% invested in the stock market at all times (this is not the 1940s-2000) is not a wise move.
Actually, this approach is commonly recommended.

Old 05-11-2013, 01:27 PM

580 posts, read 450,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
...They seem to foolishly believe that when it all collapses their gold will be worth what they paid for it. LOL.
...or that they'll even be able to get their hands on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies