Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2013, 04:42 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,340,545 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDusr View Post
Most investment strategies only recommend gold, as part of it. So I don't agree w/ it being a horrible investment. It has a purpose. All investments do. Our economy is pretty much nothing, but bubbles so just gotta time and diversify. In terms of value, gold did fluctuate over that 25yrs so you could also use it to make money much like currency exchanges, etc... Certainly, not like housing, but housing, as has been seen was a rather large bubble, that still has some changes to come.
There is nothing wrong with having gold as part of an investment - though as I said, over the long run it's done quite poorly - and I don't have a problem with folks having some gold as a simple investment (even if I think it's a bad investment - that's their choice how to invest their money). What I have a real problem with is those folks on this board pushing gold based on some stupid theory that the US dollar was going to collapse. I saw this same nonsense back in the late 70's (the exact same arguments) and the fact is a LOT of people got hurt REALLY BADLY when gold tanked. The SAME thing will happen this time around too (in fact it's ALREADY started).

"Those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it".

I've seen it all play out before - SSDD ("Same Sh*t, Different Day")

The arguments of those gold bugs back then were lousy (based on poor logic and incorrect assumptions) and they are just as lousy today - as events (ie the gold price drop) of the last 2 years have shown (and that is just the beginning).

Ken
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2013, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDusr View Post
Ultimately, as I stated, people are the value. Gold does have however, intrinsic value and yes historical backing. Not sure your point?
Gold is a substance with intrinsic value and history. Currency is a medium of exchange representing people's energy.
Ultimately gold is a dinosaur - as is paper currency.
Electronic currency is the way of the future, gold will NEVER make a return as the "currency of choice" any more than the sword will make a return as the 'weapon of choice'.

Ken

Old 05-11-2013, 05:16 PM

19,792 posts, read 13,956,603 times
Warren Buffett's Lesson On Gold - Business Insider

Old 05-11-2013, 05:27 PM

8,483 posts, read 6,936,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Ultimately gold is a dinosaur - as is paper currency.
Electronic currency is the way of the future, gold will NEVER make a return as the "currency of choice" any more than the sword will make a return as the 'weapon of choice'.

Ken
Electronic currency certainly has been the trend, not futuristic. Bitcoin is benefiting from this. However, I don't see tangibles as valueless, don't see that ever happening. Electronic currencies could be a problem if technology has a blip. A CME is one way that might occur. However, people investing is their own choice. I think the economy has much still to come and it isn't prudent to not have some planning.

Old 05-11-2013, 06:36 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,654,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA
The gold bugs will be around to tell you that gold is the only constant in the equation, and that it's in fact everything else that fluctuates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow
The thing with gold, you don't gain or lose worth.

As the dollar gains strength and commodities lower in price so does gold.

The same amount of gold in 1928, that it took to buy a gallon of gas, a gallon of milk, or a loaf of bread, it takes today.

They get you and tax you by making you use and bank dollar bills

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Called it!

You knew the truth and then you admit you cannot argue with the truth.... Marvelous. LOL!

That's Classic!

Old 05-11-2013, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
If I could print 100 ounces of gold on one of those new 3D printers how much would it be worth?

Many use plastic as money, today....

Old 05-11-2013, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Gold sat for nearly 25 YEARS and gained virtually NOTHING at all - and consequently lost ground (because of inflation) against virtually EVERYTHING (including HOME PRICES). The fact that it's just come off a BUBBLE is supposed to prove that gold keeps it's value over time? It was a BUBBLE - it's TEMPORARY - and it's now popping - and when it's done popping - and gold is sitting somewhere around $1100/ounce or so, it will probably sit there for another quarter-century until people forget how badly they got burned the last time around and buy into the stooopid gold nonsense all over again.

Ken

When it pops, price of goods would have fallen to make it drop. Meaning the dollar got stronger.

Old 05-11-2013, 07:48 PM

Last deer season I would hunt mornings and evenings, and prospect for gold from 10:00- 3:30/4:00 at the creek.
Assayers office and platinum, nickle & copper, on top of the gold. I made as much prospecting and having fun, part time, as I did the other 8 months of hard labor.

Old 05-11-2013, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA
The gold bugs will be around to tell you that gold is the only constant in the equation, and that it's in fact everything else that fluctuates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow
The thing with gold, you don't gain or lose worth.

As the dollar gains strength and commodities lower in price so does gold.

The same amount of gold in 1928, that it took to buy a gallon of gas, a gallon of milk, or a loaf of bread, it takes today.

They get you and tax you by making you use and bank dollar bills

You knew the truth and then you admit you cannot argue with the truth.... Marvelous. LOL!

That's Classic!
It's not "the truth" - it's "what you would say" - BIG difference.

Ken

Old 05-11-2013, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
When it pops, price of goods would have fallen to make it drop. Meaning the dollar got stronger.
The price of "goods" continues to rise (with very slight inflation).
It's GOLD that's dropped - against the dollar, against the Yen, against the Euro, against the price of candy bars, milk, eggs and everything else.

Ken
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies