Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2013, 10:24 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,340,545 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
If the dollar isnt crashing then how did you disprove the theory that if it crashes then gold wouldnt go sky high?
The theory was not "IF the dollar crashes, gold will go sky high". The theory was "The dollar WILL crash and drive gold sky high" - that's WHY so many people flocked to gold.

Try and keep up.

Ken
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2013, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Yes I am. My gold, the actual metal, not some paper saying I own gold, is worth in excess of $100,000. I have reduced my TSP contributions to 0 and I have been buying gold steadily. If I had left my TSP alone, it would be worth significantly less. I did the math.

And I was shorting the market but have stopped.
You must really suck at math.
With gold prices down from their peak 2 years ago, the ONLY way your investment has gone up over that time is because you apparently pumped more money INTO IT over that time. It sure isn't because gold prices have risen - because they haven't. All that money you put into it over the past 2 years would have been better used simply putting it under your mattress.

Ken

Old 05-15-2013, 10:29 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,060,276 times
You keep putting money in the stock market, or bonds, I'll keep buying Silver and Gold.

Talk to me in two years.

Old 05-15-2013, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clb10 View Post
Ah...I see where you are making your mistakes now.

You are popping the champagne every day when the price falls...you aren't a long term investor.

For you, long term is a week. I thought you had some sort of a clue about the long term effects of out of control money printing. My mistake.

I hope for your sake that interest rates never go up again even though that has never happened before in history.
Nope, not thinking "short term" at all - thinking BOTH.
Tell me how long gold sat with virtually no gain after the LAST "gold rush"?
A quarter of a century?
You have a strange definition of "short term".
Gold was in a bubble - it was the hot investment of the day (for a while) - and that day is OVER. Will it ever become the "hot" investment of the day again? Sure - but not for a longgggggg time. That's the nature of bubbles - they have their hayday then they languish for a long time while other things have their hayday. It was that way with internet stocks, it was that way with housing and it was (and is again) that way with GOLD.

But go ahead and hold on to your gold if you want to - it's YOUR money

Ken

Last edited by LordBalfor; 05-15-2013 at 10:49 AM..

Old 05-15-2013, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
You keep putting money in the stock market, or bonds, I'll keep buying Silver and Gold.

Talk to me in two years.
How long have you been singing that tired old tune?

I'll be GLAD to talk to you in 2 years.

Ken

PS: "Conventional wisdom is that gold is an inflation hedge and a safe haven, but a new study finds otherwise..."

http://online.barrons.com/article/SB...bs_article%3D1

Old 05-15-2013, 10:38 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,135,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
The theory was not "IF the dollar crashes, gold will go sky high". The theory was "The dollar WILL crash and drive gold sky high" - that's WHY so many people flocked to gold.

Try and keep up.

Ken
Then the title of your thread is very poorly written because thats not at all what it says.

Old 05-15-2013, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Then the title of your thread is very poorly written because thats not at all what it says.
If you say so.

Ken

Old 05-15-2013, 10:40 AM

5,960 posts, read 5,547,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
The theory that the Federal Reserve is keeping interest rates artificially low by buying government bonds was put to the test two summers ago when the Fed temporarily suspended bond purchases. Nothing happened to rates.

Niall Ferguson of Harvard, in 2009, declared the government's "tidal wave of debt issuance," would cause U.S. interest rates to soar. Over two years ago, Erskine Bowles, the co-chairman of the deficit commission, warned that unless action was taken on the deficit soon, "the markets will devastate us," probably within two years. I'm still waiting. The fact is, selling bonds is exactly what the federal government is doing to fund the deficit and investors are willing to lend the government money at very low rates.

So make up your mind as to what you want to get upset about, buying or selling bonds.
Wow.

The STATED REASON BY THE FED ITSELF for the purchase program is to keep KEEP INTEREST RATES DOWN to spur home buying and to entice retail investors to buy stocks.

How is depending on the hope that investors keep buying sky high bonds different from the hope that investors keep buying pets.com stock in 1999 or spec land lots in Las Vegas in 2005?

Old 05-15-2013, 10:57 AM

5,960 posts, read 5,547,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Nope, not thinking "short term" at all - thinking BOTH.
Tell me how long gold sat with virtually no gain after the LAST "gold rush"?
A quarter of a century?
You have a strange definition of "short term".
Gold was in a bubble - it was the hot investment of the day (for a while) - and that day is OVER. Will it ever become the "hot" investment of the day again? Sure - but not for a longgggggg time. That's the nature of bubbles - they have their hayday then the languish for a long time while other things have their hayday. It was that way with internet stocks, it was that way with housing and it was (and is again) that way with GOLD.

But go ahead and hold on to your gold if you want to - it's YOUR money

Ken
Interesting.

So gold was in a bubble after a long period of flat prices and is now reverting back to its normal state, right?

BUT bonds after DECADES of yielding more than 5% ARE NOT in a bubble and will never again yield +5% again, huh?

So increasing interest rates are GOOD for the dollar now?

The laws of economics have suddenly changed and $20 TRILLION of debt and maximum money printing has zero consequences, agreed?

I remember when people told me I was missing the boat on "the future" in the late 1990s when tech stocks like Yahoo! traded in the hundreds of dollars per share range.

They laughed first...

Old 05-15-2013, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clb10 View Post
Interesting.

So gold was in a bubble after a long period of flat prices and is now reverting back to its normal state, right?

BUT bonds after DECADES of yielding more than 5% ARE NOT in a bubble and will never again yield +5% again, huh?

So increasing interest rates are GOOD for the dollar now?

The laws of economics have suddenly changed and $20 TRILLION of debt and maximum money printing has zero consequences, agreed?

I remember when people told me I was missing the boat on "the future" in the late 1990s when tech stocks like Yahoo! traded in the hundreds of dollars per share range.

They laughed first...
For what's worth, this analyst thinks gold could drop to $500/ounce. I don't think it will go THAT low, but I DO expect it to drop to $1,100/ounce or so.

'Gold Is Toast!' Why It Could Drop to $500: Pro

Regarding interest rates - sure, interest rates will rise at some point - that's NOT the "end of the world", nor does it mean gold will benefit. A modest rise in rates will be handled just fine and there's just no reason to intelligently assume that a rise in rates will be either excessively sudden or excessively high.

Same with inflation. At SOME point, inflation WILL pick up - but again that's not the "end of the world", nor does is mean gold will benefit. As long as the rise is neither excessivly sudden nor excessively high, a modest rising of interest rates will cool the inflation off - as it typically does - without doing an major damage to the economy.

The problem you guys seem to have is that you are Drama Queens - you base your plans on the worst-case scenario even though that scenario is outlandishly unlikely. The fact is, with interest rates at HISTORIC LOWS, the Fed has NEVER (and I mean NEVER) been in a better position to tackle an appearance by inflation. The prime rate could be doubled or tripled and interest rates would STILL be pretty reasonable.

Yes, the debt IS high - as is the deficit, but as a percentage of the total economy NEITHER is a record - and we dealt with those much higher (again, as a percentage of the GDP) deficits and debts back then and we'll deal with both the deficit and the debt now. You folks have wayyyyyyy too little faith in your country.

Ken

Last edited by LordBalfor; 05-15-2013 at 12:34 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies