Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2013, 02:38 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,330,678 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by clb10 View Post
Dude, no one said anything about basing INVESTMENT DECISIONS on politics.

This is about WEALTH PROTECTION.

I don't base a purchase decision about buying Coca-Cola stock on what Barack Obama had for breakfast. Please learn the difference between an equity and a store of value.

The DATA is firmly on my side.

Regarding bonds and interest rates...apparently you don't understand the relationship between bond crashes and institutional investing.

History of Federal Open Market Committee actions - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You are hoping that bond prices remain elevated forever. That can't happen.

Doug Casey interviews Peter Schiff - YouTube

Hope is not a strategy.
LOL

I know well enough about bonds and interest rates, and WHO said anything about "bond price remaining elevated forever"?

But hey, if you believe the data is "firmly on your side" then buy all you want. It's no skin off my nose. As I said, we can review this again in 3 months (or even sooner if there is a dramatic swing one way or the other) and see where gold sits then.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/100740462

Ken

Last edited by LordBalfor; 05-15-2013 at 02:48 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2013, 03:56 PM

8,483 posts, read 6,932,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Yeah, I know about that - that's what brought about the partial price recovery. That's old news now though. That buying has tapered way off and prices are back in collapse mode.

Ken
Yes it happened right before "paper" dumping and stocks being driven up. However, because the price dipped the big players are buying like crazy. I think it is premature to discuss a gold collapse. The price is up again and people can't get enough and that isn't old news. Obviously, the fed and govts always like to play gold down, but they own more of it than anybody, which is interesting considering they have their own product. Keep in mind SDRs are even tied into gold also. Gold obviously has it's place.

Of interest from Kitco.
http://www.kitco.com/kitco-gold-index.html

Old 05-15-2013, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDusr View Post
Yes it happened right before "paper" dumping and stocks being driven up. However, because the price dipped the big players are buying like crazy. I think it is premature to discuss a gold collapse. The price is up again and people can't get enough and that isn't old news. Obviously, the fed and govts always like to play gold down, but they own more of it than anybody, which is interesting considering they have their own product. Keep in mind SDRs are even tied into gold also. Gold obviously has it's place.

Of interest from Kitco.
Gold, USD, Price gold, Silver, US Dollar, Oil, Platinum - Kitco KGX
What are you talking about?
The price gold isn't "up" - it dropped over $30 (2%) today and most of that gain from a couple of weeks ago that you are talking about is now gone.

PRECIOUS-Gold slips below $1,400, down 2 pct on eco. optimism

Regarding your link - you DO know don't you that Kitco buys and sells gold, so it's in their INTEREST to put a positive spin on it.

Ken

Old 05-15-2013, 05:28 PM

8,483 posts, read 6,932,453 times
Quote:
What are you talking about?
The price gold isn't "up" - it dropped over $30 (2%) today and most of that gain from a couple of weeks ago that you are talking about is now gone.

PRECIOUS-Gold slips below $1,400, down 2 pct on eco. optimism

Regarding your link - you DO know don't you that Kitco buys and sells gold, so it's in their INTEREST to put a positive spin on it.

Ken
I am aware of the current "market". I just posted a link. If you read the Kitco link you would see what is happening price wise. It isn't really 33 down. It goes up and down all the time, everything does. Hardly, looks like a collapse. Especially, given all the other market trends.
Umm yeah, I am aware Kitco sells. So does the FED. Everybody is selling something. It is not a spin, it is how it works.

I think even at -33 as a full "real" amt that is hardly a collapse. I don't think anybody would call that a collapse.

Old 05-15-2013, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDusr View Post
I am aware of the current "market". I just posted a link. If you read the Kitco link you would see what is happening price wise. It isn't really 33 down. It goes up and down all the time, everything does. Hardly, looks like a collapse. Especially, given all the other market trends.
Umm yeah, I am aware Kitco sells. So does the FED. Everybody is selling something. It is not a spin, it is how it works.

I think even at -33 as a full "real" amt that is hardly a collapse. I don't think anybody would call that a collapse.
It's NOT just that it went down $33 today, it's that its' path is down, down down. Its' dropped 22% in the last 6 months and down 26% from its' peak year before last (dropped over $500/ounce) - and there is really NOTHING to keep it from falling futher (the US dollar is strong, there is no sign of serious inflation, and the US deficit is falling fast), that's why some analyst estimates say it's going to drop down to $1,100/ounce (down 37% from its' peak) or even as low as $500/ounce (down 74% from its peak). The bubble has burst and gold is TANKING.

And all this while the stock market has been SOARING to records highs.

Ken

PS - as I write this gold is down ANOTHER $5 in after hours trading from its' close this afternoon.

Last edited by LordBalfor; 05-15-2013 at 08:04 PM..

Old 05-15-2013, 09:57 PM

15,089 posts, read 8,634,588 times
Quote:
It's NOT just that it went down $33 today, it's that its' path is down, down down. Its' dropped 22% in the last 6 months and down 26% from its' peak year before last (dropped over $500/ounce) - and there is really NOTHING to keep it from falling futher (the US dollar is strong, there is no sign of serious inflation, and the US deficit is falling fast), that's why some analyst estimates say it's going to drop down to $1,100/ounce (down 37% from its' peak) or even as low as $500/ounce (down 74% from its peak). The bubble has burst and gold is TANKING.

And all this while the stock market has been SOARING to records highs.

Ken

PS - as I write this gold is down ANOTHER $5 in after hours trading from its' close this afternoon.
Then I suggest you stay out of gold, since the dollar is so strong, and the market is booming

But the truth is, the dollar is dead ... the death just hasn't been announced yet. The markets are up because of the massive influx of funny money flowing in, which is not making it into the general economy, hence the low inflation.

Gold is down because of short selling and phony paper gold that doesn't exist. Gold is long term insurance against paper devaluation that has to happen given the massive amounts being created. Gold will be $3000 an ounce by the end of 2014 or sooner.

If your wealth is on paper, it's not worth the paper it's written on.

Old 05-15-2013, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNTexas View Post
Then I suggest you stay out of gold, since the dollar is so strong, and the market is booming

But the truth is, the dollar is dead ... the death just hasn't been announced yet. The markets are up because of the massive influx of funny money flowing in, which is not making it into the general economy, hence the low inflation.

Gold is down because of short selling and phony paper gold that doesn't exist. Gold is long term insurance against paper devaluation that has to happen given the massive amounts being created. Gold will be $3000 an ounce by the end of 2014 or sooner.

If your wealth is on paper, it's not worth the paper it's written on.
LOL
If you say so.

So, I'll humor you - what EXACTLY is going to happen in the next 19 months that will cause gold to reverse course and double in price?

Ken

Old 05-15-2013, 10:09 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,933,813 times
Quote:
LOL
If you say so.

So, I'll humor you - what EXACTLY is going to happen in the next 19 months that will cause gold to reverse course and double in price?

Ken
Oh, I know! Maybe that hyperinflation the gold bugs kept pushing for the last 3 years will finally happen . Hey gold bugs, you know when the price of gold is going to really skyrocket and the dollar is going to tank? When the masses, instead of political hacks, lunatics, gold companies, and gold owners, finally lose confidence that the US Treasury cannot pay its bonds back. The amount of debt does not matter, only the ability to pay does. As of this point, most people in the world believe the US Treasury is able to pay its debt obligations, and then some

Old 05-15-2013, 10:16 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,564,791 times
It will skyrocket, as soon as they let the dollar tank, as it should when it isn't artifically upheld by the Reserve. The Federal Reserve is flooding the market with gold, which is causing the price to fall, which then is being bought up by China. Whoever has the gold holds the power.

Old 05-15-2013, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
It will skyrocket, as soon as they let the dollar tank, as it should when it isn't artifically upheld by the Reserve. The Federal Reserve is flooding the market with gold, which is causing the price to fall, which then is being bought up by China. Whoever has the gold holds the power.
You folks are ALWAYS looking for some excuse, some sinister plot by Obama and the big bad Fed, when the simple truth is, people are just losing faith in your economic theory that the dollar will collapse.
It's astonishing, the mental gymnastics you folks go through when the REAL, simple and obvious answer is just staring you in the face.

But, whatever - I'm just wondering if your heads will collectively explode once it FINALLY sinks in just how much money you folks have lost.

As I said, I've seen this all play out before back in the late 70's and early 80's.
It's nothing new.

"Those who fail to learn the lessons of history are doomed to repeat it."

Ken
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies