Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2013, 01:26 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,742,275 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
This is a prime example of how pro union people are beyond uneducated. Maybe its best you find that union job where they allow people to be stupid..

Once again, if you want to work at a company where a union exists, you indeed ARE FORCED to join the union in states which are not right to work states.

Your ignorance of the law is pretty embarassing considering you are so adamantly wrong.
The union for this job is not required to join; however, even if we don't join, we still have money taken out of our checks. It's a smaller amount but we are still FORCED to support them.

The union reps are absolutely, utterly useless. They have been unable to negotiate any kind of pay raise for the employees for over six years. Compared to the national average in this line of work, our people are paid the lowest.

Every single "battle" for the "good guys" ie: employees, the union presents the argument and then sits there and lets "the man" tell them how it's going to be. The union rep then goes back and says, "Sorry guys, I tried". No, they did not try. All they said was, "The employees don't think this particular rule is fair."

They have done absolutely NOTHING for the employees but they still take in their money.

Wait a minute...forced to hand over money out of your paycheck to support someone else....THAT'S why liberals are in love with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2013, 01:28 PM

126 posts, read 152,321 times
Did you know that labor unions made the following 36 things possible?

Weekends without work
All breaks at work, including your lunch breaks
Paid vacation
Family & Medical Leave Act (FMLA)
Sick leave
Social Security
Minimum wage
Civil Rights Act/Title VII - prohibits employer discrimination
8-hour work day
Overtime pay
Child labor laws
Occupational Safety & Health Act (OSHA)
40-hour work week
Workers’ compensation (workers’ comp)
Unemployment insurance
Pensions
Workplace safety standards and regulations
Employer health care insurance
Collective bargaining rights for employees
Wrongful termination laws
Age Discrimination in Employment Act of 1967 (ADEA)
Whistleblower protection laws
Employee Polygraph Protection Act (EPPA) - prohibits employers from using a lie detector test on an employee
Veteran's Employment and Training Services (VETS)
Compensation increases and evaluations (i.e. raises)
Sexual harassment laws
Americans With Disabilities Act (ADA)
Holiday pay
Employer dental, life, and vision insurance
Privacy rights
Pregnancy and parental leave
Military leave
The right to strike
Public education for children
Equal Pay Acts of 1963 & 2011 - requires employers pay men and women equally for the same amount of work
Laws ending sweatshops in the United States

Thank a union for all of that.

Old 05-11-2013, 01:30 PM

126 posts, read 152,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
The union for this job is not required to join; however, even if we don't join, we still have money taken out of our checks. It's a smaller amount but we are still FORCED to support them.

The union reps are absolutely, utterly useless. They have been unable to negotiate any kind of pay raise for the employees for over six years. Compared to the national average in this line of work, our people are paid the lowest.

Every single "battle" for the "good guys" ie: employees, the union presents the argument and then sits there and lets "the man" tell them how it's going to be. The union rep then goes back and says, "Sorry guys, I tried". No, they did not try. All they said was, "The employees don't think this particular rule is fair."

They have done absolutely NOTHING for the employees but they still take in their money.

Wait a minute...forced to hand over money out of your paycheck to support someone else....THAT'S why liberals are in love with it.

Not true. All of the strikes in the NYC area have been proved useful, they received pay raises and updated health care. Most of the issues are with greedy corporations, once a strike happens, their shareholders suffer and they realize how valuable those professional working stiffs are.

Old 05-11-2013, 01:30 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,118,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PolishAmericanBklyn View Post
Did you know that labor unions made the following 36 things possible?.
Posting the same lies multiple times, that you copied and pasted from somewhere else might fly over the first time, but the second is purely comical...

Do you really need to be told the same dispute over again like a little child needs to be told to take his hands out of the cookie jar?

Old 05-11-2013, 01:31 PM

14,888 posts, read 10,037,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PolishAmericanBklyn View Post
Did you know that labor unions made the following 36 things possible?

Thank a union for all of that.
This in-factual post was brought to you by the AFL-CIO, the UAW, the SEIU and the letter "T".

Old 05-11-2013, 01:32 PM

14,888 posts, read 10,037,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Posting the same lies multiple times, that you copied and pasted from somewhere else might fly over the first time, but the second is purely comical...

Do you really need to be told the same dispute over again like a little child needs to be told to take his hands out of the cookie jar?
Watch out, his daddy is gonna get you!!!

Old 05-11-2013, 01:33 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,118,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
This in-factual post was brought to you by the AFL-CIO, the UAW, the SEIU and the letter "T".
Exactly where it came from to..

Union Plus is brought to you by Union Privilege, established by the AFL-CIO to provide consumer benefits to members and retirees of participating labor unions.

36 reasons why you should thank a union

Now they cant even think for themself, they need to be told what to say..

Old 05-11-2013, 01:34 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,729,131 times
Quote:

T? I though it was the B and S!!!

Old 05-11-2013, 01:35 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 24 days ago)

29,558 posts, read 16,548,014 times
Quote:
And I'd love to have the ability to work in a discount clothing store and believe that I'm God's gift to politics while taking community college classes one at a time... but sadly I live the real world where truth still hurts.
LOL,am I god's gift to politics, no, But do i try to at least know what im talking about before I post a comment yes, not sure what any of this has to do with you claiming Dmeocrats are lazy, moving on

Not a discount clothing store, Graduated with with honors last night( Mad ?).I am Also a political intern and there is also the fact that i have the ability to get into the 4 year of my choice.

My truth and reality are wonderful,You however seems to have shut out reality in favor of some fantasy world.

Old 05-11-2013, 01:48 PM

6,391 posts, read 5,168,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
I will never understand why normal wage earning working stiffs like everyone here on CD, hates unions so much. They never launch invectives against corporatists...only against their fellow workers.

Unions are the only entity providing a bulwark against runaway corporate power.

I could understand if some of you were wealthy CEO's or sat on corporate boards, but none of you fit that category.

SMH...I'll never understand it.

ONLY Americans pit people in their own classes against each other among first world nations. No other country has middle class people in large numbers that hate unions.

Americans are idiots.
I disagree. There are a number of companies who take care of their employees, because they understand that taking care of their employees leads to getting better employees. I work for one such company. I have a nice salary, health insurance, Dental, vision, short and long term disability, 401K and company match AND a pension plan, Life insurance.

Last year in January, I broke my hand and couldn't work after having surgery on it, for 3 months. My paycheck never stopped, smooth transition to short term disability, at 100% of my pay. When I came back, I was welcomed, as if nothing happened.

Not ALL companies are equal, and while some people absolutely can benefit from having a union, and belonging, it's not necessary for all people, AND, should be a persons choice to join.

I don't hate Unions either. I feel that the opportunity to join should be voluntary, vice involuntary. That is MY only disagreement with unions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies