Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2013, 02:04 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,641,969 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Posting the same lies multiple times, that you copied and pasted from somewhere else might fly over the first time, but the second is purely comical...

Do you really need to be told the same dispute over again like a little child needs to be told to take his hands out of the cookie jar?
Haven't you heard that corporations don't owe anyone a job? So it would be pretty stupid of them to ever have had a long list of the great things they've done for workers, especially without a law having to be passed compelling them to do it in too many cases.

Meantime, many Republicans, in standing up for the corporations, want to abolish overtime pay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2013, 02:15 PM

6,391 posts, read 5,168,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Haven't you heard that corporations don't owe anyone a job? So it would be pretty stupid of them to ever have had a long list of the great things they've done for workers, especially without a law having to be passed compelling them to do it in too many cases.

Meantime, many Republicans, in standing up for the corporations, want to abolish overtime pay.
Nice lie.

Quote:
Rep. Martha Roby, R-Ala., called on the Senate to pass legislation that would allow employers to offer employees paid time off in exchange for overtime pay
ALLOW employers doesn't mean abolish.

Quote:
It's not a new concept, Roby said, noting that "many employees in the public sector enjoy this benefit right now" thanks to a 1985 law allowing local and state governments to offer their employees the option of paid time off.
So.. Local and State government works are allowed to accrue comp time, but PRIVATE workers aren't allowed to, and you claim that they want to ABOLISH overtime? Quit spreading lies, and try comprehension.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-250_162-...u-of-overtime/

Yes, that's CBS news

Old 05-11-2013, 02:15 PM

3,038 posts, read 2,514,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
this is a copy and past job, links please.
Actually, that's my own writing, thank you very much.

I noted "according to the U.S. Census Bureau." and the years.

Look up Census data from 1860-1920 and you will see how wages increased at astronomical rates before unions took over.

You'll also see child labor in manufacturing was basically eliminated by the 1920s, except for some first-generation immigrant kids. Even though the unions claim they ended child labor in the 1930s. A decade or 2 after capitalism took care of the problem. lols.

Old 05-11-2013, 02:17 PM

25,848 posts, read 16,532,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeekerBot View Post
I'm a conservative myself, but I don't see why? of course some unions are pointless but others are needed, it made dangerous working conditions much better for their workers, the entire reason we have a "weekend" is because of unions. This anti union rhetoric is the entire reason we are losing voters, I know most union workers are conservative value wise.
If Republicans would adopt worker's rights I would vote for them. I have no time for the idiotic groups that have hitched their wagons to the Democratic Party.

I vote Democrat because I'm union and I am for protecting the middle class of America. I'm also for protecting the poor (not giving them welfare) but giving them opportunities and making sure they are treated fairly.

Good topic!

Old 05-11-2013, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOS0311 View Post
This is so silly in it's intellectual scope that it's pointless to assault you with the "big picture."

Here is something that will slowly acclimate you to the reality of that time...

The New South

www.rsu.edu/faculty/phatley/Powerpoints/labor.ppt ·
You might want to look at slide 3 on your link. It verifies the numbers I gave.

Real wages rose 50% from 1860-1890 and 34% from 1891-1914. Your slide says 37%, not 34%. I'll go with your numbers.

This was all when less than 3% of workers were unionized. There were no minimum wage laws and few workplace laws. Millions of union members left Western Europe to work for non-union American companies.

Nothing in your slide presentation differs from anything I said.

Old 05-11-2013, 02:26 PM

2,189 posts, read 7,053,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeekerBot View Post
I'm a conservative myself, but I don't see why? of course some unions are pointless but others are needed, it made dangerous working conditions much better for their workers, the entire reason we have a "weekend" is because of unions. This anti union rhetoric is the entire reason we are losing voters, I know most union workers are conservative value wise.
The union is nothing more than the mafia extorting money from the masses.

Old 05-11-2013, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
conservatism at its core to me is exclusionary. In the conservative club business owners' opinions are much more important than the opinions of workers.

More importantly, conservatives think government policy should bend to the expressed desires of business owners.

The formation of unions on a fundamental level disrupts that philosophy. It is very difficult for individual citizens to have their policy preferences reflected within government at any level.

Business owners have always had much more access to those levers of political power and have always used that access to get the government policies they prefer.

The creation of unions is one avenue that nominally anyway the issues of working joes can gain some ability to impact government policy.

Since business owners hate this, the conservative party hates unions.
Did some union punk tell you this nonsense. lols.

Business owners and government created the unions, not workers. And it wasn't to give workers more money, it was to control them while they kept the money and power to themselves. Seriously, you must believe that CEOs and government willingly gave up power to allow unions, because they easily could've outlawed them, had they wanted to.

Read "Regulating the Poor" by Cloward and Piven (big lefties and Obama supporters). Union members have not only been duped by union bosses, but by government and CEOs too. lols.

Amazon.com: Regulating the Poor: The Functions of Public Welfare (9780679745167): Frances Fox Piven, Richard Cloward: Books

Old 05-11-2013, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bustaduke View Post
The union is nothing more than the mafia extorting money from the masses.
Is it any coincidence that scores of union bosses have been convicted of various crimes involving the Mafia? The ones that don't dissapper that is.

These are the people that union members defend and give money to. Mafia murderers and racists.

Old 05-11-2013, 03:42 PM

8,391 posts, read 6,297,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioRules View Post
Did some union punk tell you this nonsense. lols.

Business owners and government created the unions, not workers. And it wasn't to give workers more money, it was to control them while they kept the money and power to themselves. Seriously, you must believe that CEOs and government willingly gave up power to allow unions, because they easily could've outlawed them, had they wanted to.

Read "Regulating the Poor" by Cloward and Piven (big lefties and Obama supporters). Union members have not only been duped by union bosses, but by government and CEOs too. lols.

Amazon.com: Regulating the Poor: The Functions of Public Welfare (9780679745167): Frances Fox Piven, Richard Cloward: Books
conservatives never address what is written. There was a question asked, why do conservatives hate unions?

I supplied a great answer to that question.

Your post to me is about a misunderstanding of the history of unions. I don't care to discuss that, nor do your fantasies have anything to do with what I wrote or the topic of this thread. SMH.

Old 05-11-2013, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
conservatives never address what is written. There was a question asked, why do conservatives hate unions?

I supplied a great answer to that question.

Your post to me is about a misunderstanding of the history of unions. I don't care to discuss that, nor do your fantasies have anything to do with what I wrote or the topic of this thread. SMH.
Conservatives don't hate unions.

Your post to me is about a misunderstanding of the history of unions, probably written by a union. I don't care to discuss that, nor do your fantasies have anything to do with what I wrote or the topic of this thread. SMH

It was your claim in your post that unions are beneficial. I was just pointing out that you are wrong. They have never been about the worker. Next time I won't post any links proving you wrong. lols.

Last edited by OhioRules; 05-11-2013 at 03:58 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies