Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2013, 03:50 PM

7,242 posts, read 7,907,352 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeekerBot View Post
I'm a conservative myself, but I don't see why? of course some unions are pointless but others are needed, it made dangerous working conditions much better for their workers, the entire reason we have a "weekend" is because of unions. This anti union rhetoric is the entire reason we are losing voters, I know most union workers are conservative value wise.
It's mostly because Republicans get the majority of the corporate money and the only big instutional money Dems get a bigger share of is the union money. Therefor, if they can kill the unions they'll have killed the biggest single funding source for the Dems.

It's pure partisan gamesmanship and nothing else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2013, 03:58 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
I disagree. There are a number of companies who take care of their employees, because they understand that taking care of their employees leads to getting better employees. I work for one such company. I have a nice salary, health insurance, Dental, vision, short and long term disability, 401K and company match AND a pension plan, Life insurance.

Last year in January, I broke my hand and couldn't work after having surgery on it, for 3 months. My paycheck never stopped, smooth transition to short term disability, at 100% of my pay. When I came back, I was welcomed, as if nothing happened.

Not ALL companies are equal, and while some people absolutely can benefit from having a union, and belonging, it's not necessary for all people, AND, should be a persons choice to join.

I don't hate Unions either. I feel that the opportunity to join should be voluntary, vice involuntary. That is MY only disagreement with unions.
Nonsense. Again, not believable.

If companies COMMONLY take care of their employees the way you were taken care of, name me 10 other companies where the same exact scenario would've played out the way it happened to you...3 months of 100% pay and Rolls-Royce insurance, retirement, 401...etc.

It's amazing...in the rest of America, they've watched their pay and benefits plummet in recent years, especially with the recession.

But on C-D, everyone has it so great. Hell, another poster claimed to work for a company that pays far above industry standards with all the same Cadillac benefits you claim to have.

Why don't you people name these corporations? I think I work for a damn good company myself, but there's no way in hell that I can make the claims that some of you are making without stretching credulity to fantastic lengths.

Old 05-11-2013, 04:01 PM

3,038 posts, read 2,513,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
It's mostly because Republicans get the majority of the corporate money and the only big instutional money Dems get a bigger share of is the union money. Therefor, if they can kill the unions they'll have killed the biggest single funding source for the Dems.

It's pure partisan gamesmanship and nothing else.
Republicans don't want to kill unions. They want to give workers and employers more choice. Democrats seek to deny employers and employees rights.

If unions were so beneficial they would have no problems with what Wisconsin and Michigan did.

Old 05-11-2013, 04:14 PM

8,391 posts, read 6,296,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioRules View Post
Conservatives don't hate unions.

Your post to me is about a misunderstanding of the history of unions, probably written by a union. I don't care to discuss that, nor do your fantasies have anything to do with what I wrote or the topic of this thread. SMH

It was your claim in your post that unions are beneficial. I was just pointing out that you are wrong. They have never been about the worker. Next time I won't post any links proving you wrong. lols.
conservatives do in fact hate unions in terms of their policy ideas and much of their anti-union rhetoric as represented by the leadership of the conservative party.

I supplied the answer why conservatives hate unions.

I didn't claim anything about unions being beneficial. I wrote that the creation of unions is one avenue that nominally anyway the issues of working joes can gain some ability to impact government policy.

Old 05-11-2013, 04:17 PM

805 posts, read 1,161,567 times
Unions mean less money for the top 1% and more for the working class. The Republican party's mission is to protect the top 1% and allow them to make as much money as they can. Thus, the Republican party's dislike of unions.

Old 05-11-2013, 04:22 PM

1,482 posts, read 1,378,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioRules View Post
Look at the quality of education and the rise of teacher unions. There seems to be an amazing coincidence.

Teachers don't look for promotions at work anyway. No need to be kiss ups. The few teachers that want promoted usually move to another system and get a Assistant Principal job, then move to another to get a Pricipal job, then to another to be a Superentrendent and so on.

If government is looking out for workers, as the unions allege, then why do government workers need protection from government employers???
What I meant kissing up to keep your job. She minds her business. She don't go running to the food service director about the conversations she overhears, for example. As far as promotion, she's happy being a worker bee. Being in charge is not all its cracked up.

Old 05-11-2013, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_the_facts View Post
Unions mean less money for the top 1% and more for the working class. The Republican party's mission is to protect the top 1% and allow them to make as much money as they can. Thus, the Republican party's dislike of unions.
lols. Less money for the top 1%. lols.

Buy this book and read it.

Amazon.com: Regulating the Poor: The Functions of Public Welfare (9780679745167): Frances Fox Piven, Richard Cloward: Books

Old 05-11-2013, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJW50 View Post
What I meant kissing up to keep your job. She minds her business. She don't go running to the food service director about the conversations she overhears, for example. As far as promotion, she's happy being a worker bee. Being in charge is not all its cracked up.
Non-union people do not get fired for no reason. Just another lie told by the unions.

If they wanted to fire her they would never have hired her in the first place. Proving the union does not equal job security.

Old 05-11-2013, 04:41 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,641,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
I agree. I'm amazed at the number of folks who have contempt for their fellow americans not to want them to have a choice...
SO what's so morally right and just about freeloading off a labor union. Did you mother fail to teach you it's wrong to steal? You are certainly in severe need of seeing the light.

Old 05-11-2013, 04:44 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
I supplied a great answer to that question.
No, no you didnt..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies