Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2007, 03:53 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,955,596 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bily4 View Post
Oh really? Gee whiz, I thought every celebrity apology was out of genuine contriteness and sincerity, and not just a ploy pushed by their agents to sucker the gullible American public into giving them another chance because they love to see those public confessions.
There is a difference between a heated burst of anger at a situation where people lash out inappropriately, yet don't support the concept behind what they said and saying something directly and even more describing the intent behind what they said.

The Dixie Chicks just didn't "say" something bad, they explained why and supported what they said, but only changed their story when they weren't selling those records like crazy.

Dog might have said something bad, but does his slur make him a racist? Does it make him a supporter of slavery, of less rights for black people? Context and intent is the issue.

You would have a pretty hard time trying to defend the Dixie Chicks. I mean, they weren't caught in private, but were out using their fame as a soap box to spew their political garbage. Like some people said who heard them "I went to listen to the music, not be preached to by some ditz, they should do more singing and less talking".

Apples to Oranges.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2007, 03:54 PM

1,408 posts, read 4,863,391 times
Don Imus, please call your office...

Old 11-01-2007, 03:58 PM

5,407 posts, read 7,796,244 times
Who is talking about "Dog"? Not me. I don't consider him a celebrity in the first place, he is more like Marie Osmond and Eric Estrada on the B list. Probably be seen "Dancing with the Stars" next season. I think it is great our society allows trailer trash to play cops on TV though. Anything is possible in America.

Old 11-01-2007, 04:00 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,899,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodtype View Post
It seems like hardly a day passes when someone in the public eye says something that is not politically correct. Then they are forced to say they are sorry and everyone gets all worked up and angry. Just once I wish someone would be able to get away with saying something that is not PC but they truly believe and everyone knows it is true.

Has the PC thing gone to far?
I never see PC as being the issue...the truth is that celebrities are, for the most part, just plain misinformed and stupid.

Are you talking about the Dog guy saying racial slurs? He's an idiot, obviously a racist. I saw Dixie Chicks mentioned...again, they are idiots. I've read interviews with the singer and it's "yeah I hate bush because he's like stupid and lied and I don't like him" and there was no more detail than that. There is no brain there at all. Very simplistic, very niave, no understanding of the complex issues or reasons for why they think like that, hey like 90% of the posters here.

Celebrities are just idiots...the only one I admire on political issues is Bono, the guy is extremely intelligent.

Old 11-01-2007, 04:02 PM

2,138 posts, read 6,321,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
There is a difference between a heated burst of anger at a situation where people lash out inappropriately, yet don't support the concept behind what they said and saying something directly and even more describing the intent behind what they said.

The Dixie Chicks just didn't "say" something bad, they explained why and supported what they said, but only changed their story when they weren't selling those records like crazy.

Dog might have said something bad, but does his slur make him a racist? Does it make him a supporter of slavery, of less rights for black people? Context and intent is the issue.

You would have a pretty hard time trying to defend the Dixie Chicks. I mean, they weren't caught in private, but were out using their fame as a soap box to spew their political garbage. Like some people said who heard them "I went to listen to the music, not be preached to by some ditz, they should do more singing and less talking".

Apples to Oranges.
The Dixie Chicks stated their political opinion towards one man. They didn't say anything hurtful about anybody else except the President. Criticism of our leaders is not only our right, but an American tradition. Unfortunately, they didn't realizee that so many of their audience supported the President at the time and their careers suffered for it. Dog on the other hand defended his using of one of the most repulsive slurs in the English language. A slur with a very negative historical context.

Old 11-01-2007, 04:08 PM

15,154 posts, read 11,628,785 times
The way I see it, There are 2 types of people in this country: Those who are racists, and those who refuse to admit it.

Old 11-01-2007, 04:10 PM

5,407 posts, read 7,796,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELOrocks17 View Post
The way I see it, There are 2 types of people in this country: Those who are racists, and those who refuse to admit it.
Which category are you in ELO, just out of curiosity?

(By the way, great band.)

Old 11-01-2007, 04:16 PM

1,408 posts, read 4,863,391 times
Quote:
Who is talking about "Dog"? Not me. I don't consider him a celebrity in the first place, he is more like Marie Osmond and Eric Estrada on the B list.
So very true!

Old 11-01-2007, 04:27 PM

791 posts, read 2,223,381 times
Quote:
You are right. It is a travesty the dixie chicks had to apologize to President Bush for telling the truth. Op makes a nice point.
Where did the 'had to' part come from? Did like the PC police come after them or something?

Old 11-01-2007, 04:28 PM

15,154 posts, read 11,628,785 times
Quote:
Which category are you in ELO, just out of curiosity?

(By the way, great band.)
I will admit that i am racist towards some groups.
And I will also say that I am proud to be White, without having to apologize for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies