Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2007, 07:38 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,441,267 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodtype View Post
It seems like hardly a day passes when someone in the public eye says something that is not politically correct. Then they are forced to say they are sorry and everyone gets all worked up and angry. Just once I wish someone would be able to get away with saying something that is not PC but they truly believe and everyone knows it is true.

Has the PC thing gone to far?
wow i sure dont get to do it im on egg shells on the time.
ive tried it a few times on the CD but i did get retaliation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2007, 08:04 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,443,393 times
I don't pay attention to the apologies. You can't unring a bell, once its said, its out there.

I think these people say these things in unguarded moments and they are a statement of their genuine feelings and I judge them based on what they have said, not the FAKE apology afterward.

I like the Dixie Chicks and agree with their opinion on Bush, however some of the people who have made racist comments are people I am not interested in supporting.

Old 11-11-2007, 09:05 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,875,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reconmark View Post
To those who keep making the lame a#sed excuse that it shouldn't be a problem because black people use it all the time, NEWS ALERT black people don't use it either, Ni##ers that just happen to be black do, as do white people who happen to be Ni##ers.
Who said that??

I put forward that ANYBODY using the dreaded 'N' word should be treated exactly the same.

Some seem to think we should make exceptions for black people.

Old 11-11-2007, 10:26 PM

5,407 posts, read 7,796,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
Who said that??

I put forward that ANYBODY using the dreaded 'N' word should be treated exactly the same.

Some seem to think we should make exceptions for black people.
May I, Mr Oz...I believe his point was that no person should be excused for using such a vile and deragatory term, white or black. Wouldn't you agree?

Old 11-12-2007, 12:00 AM

8,289 posts, read 13,568,938 times
what I found bizarre was his interview on Hannity & Colmes where he said he wanted to be buried at Mt Vernon with George Washington so blacks can see the he was truly sorry for using the N word!

Old 11-12-2007, 12:08 AM

86 posts, read 146,749 times
In the essence of the constitution, the line "...all men are created equally..." should mean just that. Every person in this country should be held to the same standards. If the "N" word is a horrible word for a white person to say, it should be a horrible word for a black person to say. It's a shame to say that it seems to be that all of this "Political Correctness" and "Anti-Racism" has actually had a reverse effect. I was raised a conservative and value all people the same, regardless of skin color. I don't dislike someone because of their skin color, I dislike them because of their attitude towards my family, my friends, or me.

That being said, yes, Political Correctness has gone too far. People shouldn't be afraid to speak their minds.

And yes, celebrities are the ultimate idiots of our time. They are allowed to have their opinion, but should not abuse their ability to be on TV to express their opinion. And I do also agree that the only people worse than the idiot celebrities are the ones the care and listen to them.

Old 11-12-2007, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bily4 View Post
May I, Mr Oz...I believe his point was that no person should be excused for using such a vile and deragatory term, white or black. Wouldn't you agree?
Where is the daily outrage about the lyrics to various songs?
Where are the news articles exposing the use of this vile and derogatory term when used to sell music?

Perhaps I blinked and missed all the outrage.

Old 11-12-2007, 07:15 AM

3,860 posts, read 8,454,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bily4 View Post
I think that "PC" has come to signify for some a liberal, progressive agenda. So they use it in the context of "Hey, call me a ***, for example. I can take it!" Why shouldn't I have the freedom to openly insult other groups of people... the way my parents and grandparents did. What is wrong with this country?" "Freedom of Speech is what it is all about!"

So all of a sudden it becomes more of a defense of the civil rights of trash like Duane (oops, sorry, "Dog" ) than discussing the original fact he repeatedly used a disgusting racial slur to talk about his own family. As if the fact it was a private phone call somehow makes the slurs "ok".
You're probably right. It seems like a lot of people here would loooove to go back to the "good 'ol days".

Old 11-12-2007, 07:30 AM

Freedom of speech, its a horrible thing when you disagree with the other person's point of view.

Old 11-12-2007, 07:44 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,227,263 times
Actually I am tired of celebreties in the spirit of political correctness who say things that are hateful or derogatory and with no merit. But because it was politically correct its ok.
Sean Penn
Rosie
or any of the multitude of stoned or drunk idiots who because they are famous feel its ok to trash what ever the scaraficial goat of the moment is.
They never seemed obligated to apologize for that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies