Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2007, 03:12 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,875,929 times

Advertisements

Perhaps your experiences aren't typical??

The black guys I worked with,they seemed to find all of the rap stereotypes perfectly okay...in fact they seemed to think they were actually living the life.

However, there was one black guy who disliked the whole 'black culture' thing being put forward,but he was a Pastor so he might not be typical.

Just some random thoughts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2007, 03:25 PM

3,570 posts, read 3,759,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
An interesting Al Sharpton quote to the audience at Kean College....

“White folks was in caves while we was building empires ... We taught philosophy and astrology and mathematics before Socrates and them Greek homos ever got around to it.”

His use of the term 'Diamond merchants' when discussing Jews is interesting too.

Sad thing is people seem to accept Sharpton as a black leader.

Who accepts him? I don't know of anyone who accepts him, black or white.

Old 11-13-2007, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roseba View Post
Who accepts him? I don't know of anyone who accepts him, black or white.
Somebody accpets him and Jesse Jackson as black leaders..I would be ashamed of both of them and would loudly and clearly state otherwise....

But I see thousands of people flocking to be by their sides when some supposed wrong happens against a black person.

Old 11-13-2007, 03:41 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,124,664 times
Good points, yayoi. I do think that more folks should look in their own closet and find the right suit whether they are black, white or purple and especially the news media.

As for the Rev. Sharpton, I do think he's cleaned up his own suit, but doesn't represent the larger black community, imo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yayoi View Post
Yes especially the media. Most blacks folks I know, myself included, don't consider Sharpton to be our leader nor take him seriously. If there was no outrage over what Sharpton said it's not black folks fault. Since Sharpton insulted white and Jewish people, they ought to be the ones that are outraged and protesting him. Don't blame us for the media's lack of attention to your noisemakers. You ought to be glad they don't pay attention unless you want David Duke to be considered a "leader" for white folks. Or maybe Ann Coulter or Micheal Savage would be a better fit.

Old 11-13-2007, 03:42 PM

Getting publicity by the media does not equate to acceptance; just pandering.

Quote:
Somebody accpets him and Jesse Jackson as black leaders..I would be ashamed of both of them and would loudly and clearly state otherwise....

But I see thousands of people flocking to be by their sides when some supposed wrong happens against a black person.

Old 11-13-2007, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
Getting publicity by the media does not equate to acceptance; just pandering.
As I stated,thousands of people flocked to their sides recently,that would seem to point towards at least SOME black people think them leaders.

Old 11-13-2007, 05:03 PM

Sure some black folks, and probably white folks listen to Sharpton, but listening and flocking at a rally or protest does not make for leadership; it just makes for more rallying. I think we have about 25-30m+ American blacks in this country, a few thousand is peanuts.

And occasionally, the R. Rev. makes good sense, but we all do that occasionally.

Quote:
As I stated,thousands of people flocked to their sides recently,that would seem to point towards at least SOME black people think them leaders.

Old 11-13-2007, 05:20 PM

Actually when I have heard Mr Sharpton speaking(not being a race hustler) he seems almost normal.

What has happened in recent years is the internet,what was said or done ten,twenty or thirty years ago now comes back to haunt the person,it makes it hard to be outraged over racial sterotyping of black people when you are caught using terms like 'diamond merchant' or 'heimie'.

Not being born inthis country perhaps has enabled me to not be swayed by the guilt that this society seems to feel,I have no guilt over how black people were treated,others have had it much worse and still do today.

Old 11-13-2007, 05:27 PM

3,860 posts, read 8,454,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
You missed my point. I shall try again.
Rosie makes claims that go beyond stupid about socalled conspiracies. Basicly saying that 3000+ people died to give GWB an excuse. She had no compassion for the families of those who died trying rescue the victims on 911, or the soldiers and civilians who died in the pentegon... No apology because its politicly correct to Bash Bush
Sean Penn with his rants> No apologies to the many offended.
John Kerry no apologies
The list is endless of people who felt it okay to bash christians for being christians.. But don't anybody say a thing about Muslems or Jews.
Its okay to trash whites in general, using terms like Cracker, or redneck but don't anybody not ever slip with the N word.
Its gotten to the point that if I compliment someone for being articulate that ir automaticly = a racist comment
I dont like dog and have no respect for him, never did because he is in fact white trash. An embarrassment.. He apologized so what....
I want apologies from the celebs that call our troops jack booted storm troopers, nazi's and war criminals....
Some have committed crimes less than 1% out all who have served.. An apology is owed.

No, I understand your point. There's a double standard. Double standards exist everywhere. It's not right, but that's life. If Rosie et al. offended you, I support your right to go out and protest or demand an apology. The bottom line is, no one is forced to apologize for what they say, there may be societal pressures, but no one is ever forced.

Old 11-13-2007, 08:15 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,227,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yayoi View Post
No, I understand your point. There's a double standard. Double standards exist everywhere. It's not right, but that's life. If Rosie et al. offended you, I support your right to go out and protest or demand an apology. The bottom line is, no one is forced to apologize for what they say, there may be societal pressures, but no one is ever forced.
But many are. If a failure to apologize will cost you your job for example. Imus??? I detest the man but he was forced.
That is but one example. For the record I pretty much detest the behavior of many of our celebreties. From Pro athletes to movie stars to politicians. The world looks at them and assumes they are US....
Ellen Degenerate with her sobby I lost my dog bit....
Spears, paris Hilton etc. The world judges us based on them...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies