Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2007, 03:56 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,875,929 times

Advertisements

So the dreaded 'N' word isn't really the problem, it is who says it?

If a black person says the dreaded 'N' word it is okay.

I find it interesting that you can absolve the use of this word if the person saying it is of a certain socio-economic class...

That kind of smacks of classism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2007, 07:21 PM

3,860 posts, read 8,454,137 times
Ok, what the heck do some of you all mean by being PC or unPC? Excuse my ignorance, but I always thought being PC is not stating the truth, such as violent crime tends to be higher in low income black neighborhoods, or that school shooters tend to be white. Referring to someone as a n*gger is not unPC. It's insulting and demeaning! Too say that it's unPC to use racial slurs, or insults in general, insinuates that there is truth to the statements. Are some of you implying that Dog's son's girlfriend is a n*gger? What am I missing here?

Old 11-10-2007, 07:24 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,875,929 times
I would think the dreaded 'N' word is evil no matter WHO says it....

But I guess it really depends upon the color of the person's skin as to whether it is bad or not.

Old 11-10-2007, 07:40 PM

3,860 posts, read 8,454,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
I would think the dreaded 'N' word is evil no matter WHO says it....

But I guess it really depends upon the color of the person's skin as to whether it is bad or not.
I agree, but a lot of people seem to think it's unPC to say it. I think it's disrespectful no matter who says it.

Old 11-11-2007, 05:15 AM

3,570 posts, read 3,759,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Are you equating "inappropriateness" with "racism"? Keep in mind that the former is an annoyance, while the latter is a career-ender -- if you have the wrong complexion.
Yes. Racism is inappropriate as is treating women like chattel. It is small minded and shows a lot about someone's character.

Old 11-11-2007, 07:05 AM

4,664 posts, read 8,243,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodtype View Post
It seems like hardly a day passes when someone in the public eye says something that is not politically correct. Then they are forced to say they are sorry and everyone gets all worked up and angry. Just once I wish someone would be able to get away with saying something that is not PC but they truly believe and everyone knows it is true.

Has the PC thing gone to far?

Speaking the "truth" is based on your opinion of the truth. If a dimwit celebrity makes a racist slur or something alike, then it is their choice wether to apologize or not. IMO they should stick with whatever it was they had said and live with the consequences, rather than backtracking later (which they of course do when they realise how stupid they have been!).

Old 11-11-2007, 08:16 AM

5,407 posts, read 7,796,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yayoi View Post
Ok, what the heck do some of you all mean by being PC or unPC? Excuse my ignorance, but I always thought being PC is not stating the truth, such as violent crime tends to be higher in low income black neighborhoods, or that school shooters tend to be white. Referring to someone as a n*gger is not unPC. It's insulting and demeaning! Too say that it's unPC to use racial slurs, or insults in general, insinuates that there is truth to the statements. Are some of you implying that Dog's son's girlfriend is a n*gger? What am I missing here?
I think that "PC" has come to signify for some a liberal, progressive agenda. So they use it in the context of "Hey, call me a ***, for example. I can take it!" Why shouldn't I have the freedom to openly insult other groups of people... the way my parents and grandparents did. What is wrong with this country?" "Freedom of Speech is what it is all about!"

So all of a sudden it becomes more of a defense of the civil rights of trash like Duane (oops, sorry, "Dog" ) than discussing the original fact he repeatedly used a disgusting racial slur to talk about his own family. As if the fact it was a private phone call somehow makes the slurs "ok".

Old 11-11-2007, 07:19 PM

4,050 posts, read 3,960,800 times
To those who keep making the lame a#sed excuse that it shouldn't be a problem because black people use it all the time, NEWS ALERT black people don't use it either, Ni##ers that just happen to be black do, as do white people who happen to be Ni##ers.

Old 11-11-2007, 07:36 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,337,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roseba View Post
Yes. Racism is inappropriate as is treating women like chattel. It is small minded and shows a lot about someone's character.
Who gets to define it?

How does one "treat women as chattel?"

Old 11-11-2007, 07:38 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,260,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Who gets to define it?

How does one "treat women as chattel?"
I guess they prod them around like cattle?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies