Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2007, 04:33 PM

2,137 posts, read 3,860,163 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
You've got that right. That frail woman who got a case of the vapors over an opinion different from hers set feminism back a century or so.
The vapors! Bwahahahahahaha. Poor little lady got her widdle feeling hurt.

I'm a woman and I cringe at these idiot feminists who pretend there is NO difference between a man and woman.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2007, 10:00 AM

3,570 posts, read 3,759,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post

Dog might have said something bad, but does his slur make him a racist?
Yes. I have never once in anger used certain words. NOT EVER. That just shows his true colors.

Old 11-10-2007, 10:11 AM

11,466 posts, read 19,355,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodtype View Post
It seems like hardly a day passes when someone in the public eye says something that is not politically correct. Then they are forced to say they are sorry and everyone gets all worked up and angry. Just once I wish someone would be able to get away with saying something that is not PC but they truly believe and everyone knows it is true.

Has the PC thing gone to far?
I agree, I would like someone to stand up for themselves, it makes me sick to see these idiots fold so easy.

Old 11-10-2007, 10:21 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,121,360 times
Do I think Dog is a racist....absolutely without a doubt.

Do I think his private conversation is PRIVATE....absolutely without a doubt.

Do I think Dog is a waste of space on the planet...absolutely without a doubt.

Old 11-10-2007, 10:28 AM

3,885 posts, read 8,123,898 times
I have no clue who Dog is, but I think a racially motivated slur is disgusting. Should he be made to apologize? What's the point really? There is a difference in being contrite because you are genuinely sorry for being a bigot and in having an "oh crap" moment because you see your career vanishing before your eyes. Where is the benefit in hollow words?

Old 11-10-2007, 12:56 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,875,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roseba View Post
Yes. I have never once in anger used certain words. NOT EVER. That just shows his true colors.
So using the dreaded 'N' word(people aren't even allowed to use the word,only the first letter) is racist?

Of course this is across the board right?
I mean every single perosn who uses the dreaded 'N' word is racist,including black people.

Good to know EVERY single rapper and hip-hop 'artist' is racist as are those who listen to their music.

Old 11-10-2007, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
So using the dreaded 'N' word(people aren't even allowed to use the word,only the first letter) is racist?

Of course this is across the board right?
I mean every single perosn who uses the dreaded 'N' word is racist,including black people.

Good to know EVERY single rapper and hip-hop 'artist' is racist as are those who listen to their music.

I can't think of any context where it is appropriate for a white person, to call a black person the N word, even in gest. And in this case, it wasn't friendly ribbing either. It was on a telephone message from father to son.

Sorry, that is very revealing of one's true colors. As I said, I can't think of any instance of using that terminology.

People like to pretend they aren't bigots, when they really are.

Old 11-10-2007, 02:07 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,875,929 times
Why is this limited ONLY to white people,isn't that somewhat racist?

I would think ANYONE using the word would be considered 'racist' in modern PC terms....oops that is silly,we all know that certain groups are free to use such terms and to racially stereotype with nobody saying a word....

For fear of being labeled.

Old 11-10-2007, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
Why is this limited ONLY to white people,isn't that somewhat racist?

I would think ANYONE using the word would be considered 'racist' in modern PC terms....oops that is silly,we all know that certain groups are free to use such terms and to racially stereotype with nobody saying a word....

For fear of being labeled.
It's a matter of cultural literacy. Black people of a certain socio-economic class call each other the N word. It's part of their cohort structure. It's not part of the cohort structure of white people. It has nothing to do with PC. (And most people who use that term tend to be people who want an excuse to behave badly and just say they aren't into being PC.) It has to do with good manners. A sense of familiarity.

It's a lot like this guy who walks into my office, does not knock and walks right up to my PC. It's rude. Sure, I do that with another co-worker of mine. The difference is that other co-worker are good friends, who have been working together for years. This new guy is new, and is not my friend. (I actually dislike him).

The point is, it is inappropriate to use intimate terms with people you aren't intimate with.

Old 11-10-2007, 03:55 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,337,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roseba View Post
It's a matter of cultural literacy. Black people of a certain socio-economic class call each other the N word. It's part of their cohort structure. It's not part of the cohort structure of white people. It has nothing to do with PC. (And most people who use that term tend to be people who want an excuse to behave badly and just say they aren't into being PC.) It has to do with good manners. A sense of familiarity.

It's a lot like this guy who walks into my office, does not knock and walks right up to my PC. It's rude. Sure, I do that with another co-worker of mine. The difference is that other co-worker are good friends, who have been working together for years. This new guy is new, and is not my friend. (I actually dislike him).

The point is, it is inappropriate to use intimate terms with people you aren't intimate with.
Are you equating "inappropriateness" with "racism"? Keep in mind that the former is an annoyance, while the latter is a career-ender -- if you have the wrong complexion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies