Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2013, 12:02 PM

199 posts, read 161,065 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
We have been divided by race and class from day one. This has never changed since day one.
But, but, OBRUMA !!@!@!1112hesanillegalalien1
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2013, 01:25 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,706,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Some_Random_Guy View Post
I've not seen a modern-day president overtly and, so boldly, try to divide us.
How has he done this?

Old 05-22-2013, 01:28 PM

7,605 posts, read 4,846,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Can 0bama ever make a speech that does not use some straw man? The man is disgusting to me, he's always belittles and condescends people, always characterizing people as being victims.
Obama's Morehouse commencement speech did not belittle anyone, nor was it condescending, nor did it characterize people as victims.

Old 05-22-2013, 01:29 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,790,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
It's simply an old adage that folks have said for years and they still say it without consideration to the times we live in. It's easier to just keep saying it rather than updating it.

Do you have to work harder? Sure. Twice as much? Meh...i doubt it.
Desert...sit down man

I agree with you

Lately everyone has to work harder, no matter the color of their skin.

Old 05-22-2013, 01:35 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,790,545 times
Originally Posted by Some_Random_Guy
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
How has he done this?
"Travon could have been my son" as an example. Blatant voting place harassment by the Black Panthers, and not an arrest. Yea, he race baits fairly often, and every chance he can. However, his minions like Bill Cosby claim that anyone not agreeing with him (Obama) are racists. People must submit to idolizing him, or be labeled racists. One only needs to read all the Obamatrons posting in here.

Reminding everyone that he's black (1/2) is one of the few things they can use, now that blaming Bush isn't working.

Old 05-22-2013, 01:43 PM

7,605 posts, read 4,846,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Some_Random_Guy View Post
Just more of the same from Obama, always trying to divide us, sometimes socio-economically, this time, by race.
Dividing?

From Obama's speech:

So it’s up to you to widen your circle of concern — to care about justice for everybody, white, black and brown. Everybody. Not just in your own community, but also across this country and around the world. To make sure everyone has a voice, and everybody gets a seat at the table; that everybody, no matter what you look like or where you come from, what your last name is — it doesn’t matter, everybody gets a chance to walk through those doors of opportunity if they are willing to work hard enough.

When Leland Shelton was four years old — where’s Leland? (Applause.) Stand up, Leland. When Leland Shelton was four years old, social services took him away from his mama, put him in the care of his grandparents. By age 14, he was in the foster care system. Three years after that, Leland enrolled in Morehouse. And today he is graduating Phi Beta Kappa on his way to Harvard Law School. (Applause.) But he’s not stopping there. As a member of the National Foster Care Youth and Alumni Policy Council, he plans to use his law degree to make sure kids like him don’t fall through the cracks. And it won’t matter whether they’re black kids or brown kids or white kids or Native American kids, because he’ll understand what they’re going through. And he’ll be fighting for them. He’ll be in their corner. That’s leadership. That’s a Morehouse Man right there. (Applause.)

That’s what we’ve come to expect from you, Morehouse — a legacy of leaders — not just in our black community, but for the entire American community.

Old 05-22-2013, 01:58 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,706,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
Originally Posted by Some_Random_Guy

"Travon could have been my son" as an example. Blatant voting place harassment by the Black Panthers, and not an arrest. Yea, he race baits fairly often, and every chance he can. However, his minions like Bill Cosby claim that anyone not agreeing with him (Obama) are racists. People must submit to idolizing him, or be labeled racists. One only needs to read all the Obamatrons posting in here.

Reminding everyone that he's black (1/2) is one of the few things they can use, now that blaming Bush isn't working.
"..fairly often, and every chance he can." This is what is so quaintly referred to as clutching at straws.

Trayvon could have been a lot of peoples' son. Are you suggesting that black people should not make mention of the fact that they are black? Really?

I'm wondering if the same standard should be applied to white people. Every single time a white person is not prosecuted, is it because s/he is white?

What do you think?

Old 05-22-2013, 02:04 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,003,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Like I said, let Uncle Ben Carson say the same thing and we'd be reading through pages and pages of right wing trolls extolling his advice. Of course the argument would spun on its head so that the reasoning would be that because there are sooo many freebee sucking Negros that the "the blacks" have a obligation to prove to white people that they aren't hoodie wearing, skittle eating hoodlums or some such.

I bees life in this here times.
LOL. I had to think who "uncle Ben Carson" is. It's funny how those right wing nutjobs praise that particular black man, but demean blacks when they need ratings or publicity.

Old 05-22-2013, 03:07 PM

8,391 posts, read 6,297,969 times
I find threads like this to be a let down.

Look the President said something that a lot of ignorant people disagree. Those ignorant people have uninformed opinions about the world with regard to race and opportunity.

Yet, those ignorant people aren't interested in a reality based discussion.

There are multiple ways to measure if the President's statement is true that doesn't depend on perception or opinion. People are doing the research, that means for most of this stuff there is a record.

We can look at any metric in terms of employment, pay, home ownership, wealth, business success, and the evidence is overwhelming that despite the efforts of individual black people to do well, there is a huge racial barrier, that limits their success when compared to similar white Americans.

These disparities happen across the board.

So that is what President Obama is saying when he says that black Americans have to work twice as hard, that conclusion is in the data. It is there for anyone to read.

Old 05-22-2013, 04:47 PM

2,117 posts, read 1,880,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
I find threads like this to be a let down.

Look the President said something that a lot of ignorant people disagree. Those ignorant people have uninformed opinions about the world with regard to race and opportunity.

Yet, those ignorant people aren't interested in a reality based discussion.

There are multiple ways to measure if the President's statement is true that doesn't depend on perception or opinion. People are doing the research, that means for most of this stuff there is a record.

We can look at any metric in terms of employment, pay, home ownership, wealth, business success, and the evidence is overwhelming that despite the efforts of individual black people to do well, there is a huge racial barrier, that limits their success when compared to similar white Americans.

These disparities happen across the board.

So that is what President Obama is saying when he says that black Americans have to work twice as hard, that conclusion is in the data. It is there for anyone to read.
This is a very long joke. Too long; didn't get it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies