Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2013, 06:46 AM

73,031 posts, read 62,634,962 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
What should be bothering you is what you are doing. Your resume might not be well written. Your interview skills could be weak. Of course we don't want to look at those things. We want to cite racial discrimination instead. Blacks sure do a fine job of keeping racism alive and well!
I never that those things couldn't be a factor. I have considered them. That is why I have kept working on them. I have had other people help me with my resume. I have also worked on some other strategies as well. I am aware that my resume is often one among millions. However, you seem to think that if a Black man thinks race could be a factor as well, you think he's paranoid or something. You either think that racial discrimination doesn't exist anymore. It still does. If it didn't, then Black college grads would have higher employment rates. I am saying I have my suspicions. Yes, there are other factors involved, but to rule out discrimination is to basically say discrimination does not exist, in which it still does.

Yes, I am worried about what I'm doing. I also worry about what other people do because I have to go to others for jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2013, 06:50 AM

I look at President Obama's comment in this light. Black parents have been telling their children this for years. In this case, I would not consider it that much different than if a parent said this.

Old 05-22-2013, 08:19 AM

62,970 posts, read 29,162,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Then how did my cohort get jobs? I don't know what role race is playing. However, I do consider the unemployment gap between Blacks and Whites, even when education is equal, something alarming. I have to think about it because I am Black, and I never know what could be going on. I'm not trying to use race as a crutch. I simply have alot of suspicions. Yes, I know the economy is quite rough, but when I see other people get jobs and not me, and straight out of college, something will bother me.
Yet you are a defender of illegal immigrants. Blacks and non-hispanic whites are being discriminated against in hiring practices because they usually don't speak Spanish and/or because the illegal immigrant is cheaper to hire. Why doesn't that bother you? It's not like Hispanic-Americans don't know English you know. It is pandering to those here illegally on the backs of both black and white American workers.

Old 05-22-2013, 09:27 AM

2,817 posts, read 3,462,453 times
twice as hard if you drop out. but if you go to school and not be a single dad with all your drama, then you dont have to work twice as hard.
But if you are a welfare dependent child, it will be twice as hard, becasue you get lazy with uncle sam giving you free stuff. And i know from first hand experience. With welfare, it is easier to just throw in the towel in life. Why work so hard to make just a little more than i get on welfare mentality is hard. but thanks to government for free stuff.

Old 05-22-2013, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Yet you are a defender of illegal immigrants. Blacks and non-hispanic whites are being discriminated against in hiring practices because they usually don't speak Spanish and/or because the illegal immigrant is cheaper to hire. Why doesn't that bother you? It's not like Hispanic-Americans don't know English you know. It is pandering to those here illegally on the backs of both black and white American workers.
When have I defended illegal aliens? And second, in the line of work I'm looking at, they aren't hiring illegal aliens.

Old 05-22-2013, 09:58 AM

6,104 posts, read 5,992,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesGTAIV View Post
Obama: "As An African American You Have To Work Twice As Hard As Anyone Else If You Want To Get By"

Obama: "As An African American You Have To Work Twice As Hard As Anyone Else If You Want To Get By" | RealClearPolitics

Maybe not racist, but completely false and absolutely non-presidential. Seems like a pretty awful comment for a POTUS to make.

Obama is absolutely right, as a person of color (Black, Latino or Asian ) you can be judged just by the color of your skin or shape of your eyes and this can be done in many cases at quite a distance. We do not live in Dr. King's Dream world of where a man or woman will be judged by the content of his character not by the color of his skin. It is only white America who seems to believe this is true when it is false. As a person of color The President has lived this reality every single minute of his 5 decades of life as has Michelle. So Americans both persons of color and whites hear and head his words well.

Old 05-22-2013, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwruckman View Post
Obama is absolutely right, as a person of color (Black, Latino or Asian ) you can be judged just by the color of your skin or shape of your eyes and this can be done in many cases at quite a distance. We do not live in Dr. King's Dream world of where a man or woman will be judged by the content of his character not by the color of his skin. It is only white America who seems to believe this is true when it is false. As a person of color The President has lived this reality every single minute of his 5 decades of life as has Michelle. So Americans both persons of color and whites hear and head his words well.
I look at things like this. The more things have changed, the more some things haven't changed. People still get judged by their skin color and race, and sometimes people use that as a parameter for hiring. Alot of people try to downplay it. Either alot of people don't understand, or alot of people just don't care.

Old 05-22-2013, 10:02 AM

2,117 posts, read 1,880,970 times
Just more of the same from Obama, always trying to divide us, sometimes socio-economically, this time, by race.

Old 05-22-2013, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Some_Random_Guy View Post
Just more of the same from Obama, always trying to divide us, sometimes socio-economically, this time, by race.
We have been divided by race and class from day one. This has never changed since day one.

Old 05-22-2013, 10:09 AM

2,117 posts, read 1,880,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
We have been divided by race and class from day one. This has never changed since day one.
I've not seen a modern-day president overtly and, so boldly, try to divide us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies