Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2013, 11:09 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,162,125 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinebar View Post
For someone with a gay son yourself, I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that you are woefully misinformed. Please do yourself, and your son, a huge favor and get educated.
I've been involved with PFLAG over the years, heavily involved with the gay community and had a Commitment ceremony for my Gay son and his partner in our home. (He's now 32)

I'm far from not educated, certainly no bigotry.

When 14-16 year old kids are becoming aware of their sexuality it is best to limit their risks. When my son came out as Gay, we would not want to put him in a position where he had the opportunity to spend the night with someone he might be sexually attracted. I'm not saying he or the other male would have acted on those emotions but as a parent you can't take the risks.

It's the same as a straight child not spending the night with girls who are "just friends". They might do a sleepover when they are 8-9 YO's but it's a different game at 16 and sexually aware.

My gay son still continued to have very close straight / gay male and female friends. But him coming out Gay changes the ground rules on what a parent can allow that 15 yo child to do with same sex kids.

As I mentioned, it's not about gay or straight sex it's all about the boundaries you layout in your home for Teen sex.

It may be hard for someone without a gay child to understand.

Old 05-26-2013, 11:16 AM

10,942 posts, read 10,250,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
I've been involved with PFLAG over the years, heavily involved with the gay community and had a Commitment ceremony for my Gay son and his partner in our home. (He's now 32)

I'm far from not educated, certainly no bigotry.

When 14-16 year old kids are becoming aware of their sexuality it is best to limit their risks. When my son came out as Gay, we would not want to put him in a position where he had the opportunity to spend the night with someone he might be sexually attracted. I'm not saying he or the other male would have acted on those emotions but as a parent you can't take the risks.

It's the same as a straight child not spending the night with girls who are "just friends". They might do a sleepover when they are 8-9 YO's but it's a different game at 16 and sexually aware.

My gay son still continued to have very close straight / gay male and female friends. But him coming out Gay changes the ground rules on what a parent can allow that 15 yo child to do with same sex kids.

As I mentioned, it's not about gay or straight sex it's all about the boundaries you layout in your home for Teen sex.

It may be hard for someone without a gay child to understand.
So you wouldn't let hetero teenagers of the same sex have sleepovers at your house?

Old 05-26-2013, 11:22 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,558,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cap1717 View Post
thank you for stating the obvious! Those who identify everything "American" with everything "Christian" are not only woefully uneducated, but also woefully close minded. . . . .!
Some people prefer to imagine things the way they wish them to be, rather than the way they are.

I posted upthread, but there are Jewish and Muslim charters within the BSA.

Old 05-26-2013, 11:22 AM

5,660 posts, read 5,086,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDragonslayer View Post
Holy Cow,, since when did the boy scouts become about procreation.
it's not and never has been. However, when openly gay boys are welcomed into the group, then sexuality becomes an issue. And alternative sexuality, whether acceptance or distain for, enters into the moral makeup of many parents. So if you wish to push acceptance of this alternative into a group where, feeling it's a safe space morally-speaking, I send my child, then I have an issue with it.

Quote:
My values are no different that straight people just because I am gay.
We'll disgaree on that.

Quote:
Separate is still not equal, you want to segregate gays kids from straight kids when in reality they will be integrated in every day activities.
So I've suggested this is an opportunity for you to make a "better" organization.

Quote:
So Johnny wants to know why his friend Joe has to have a separate group to attend because he is gay, yet they go to the same school, take the same bus, have the same teachers. So what do you tell Johnny, that is friend Joe is inferior and does not deserve the same treatment?
Assuming Johnny and Joe are the same age? If Joe is old enough to decide that he's gay, then Johnny is old enough to discern that such choices/declarations and the accompanying factors are inconsistent with his family's values and standards. Might Johnny feel uncomfortable in a Scout group with Joe, sharing sleeping or shower space, knowing that Joe might be having unnatural atrractions leading to unwanted actions?

Quote:
WE as a country that is supposed to be based on freedom of all of its citizens should not endorse segregation or discrimination of any group of people or children for any reason.
The why do affirmative action programs exist? Why do schools have quotas for population makeup? Why does my daughter's school seek to balance the boy/girl ratio in it's preschool and kindergarten? Why does the current administration seek to persecute groups that politically oppose it?

Quote:
Should disabled kids be banned from the boy scouts next because they cannot walk or hike?
If they're seeking to join a physically active group where wilderness hiking is a regular activity, than how can they expect to participate? What accomdations need to be made to the detriment of others that they may participate? Should normal boys be forced to share a tent or shower with gay troop-mates, just so that the gays don't feel excluded?

Quote:
SEPARATE IS NEVER EVER EQUAL AND ONLY CREATES DISSENSION
Then again, make the Gay Scouts even better for gay boys. How can there be dissention when they are in a group better in all ways?

Unless, of course, the real goal is to normalize in impressionable young minds that which parents may find abhorrent, and to do it in an environment away from those same parents?

Last edited by Workin_Hard; 05-26-2013 at 11:37 AM..

Old 05-26-2013, 11:26 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,162,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinebar View Post
So you wouldn't let hetero teenagers of the same sex have sleepovers at your house?
Yes, that's not what I've said. My kids grew up with sleepovers. Once my son came out gay, it's not the same as a Hetero sleepover.

Would you let 16 year old opposite sex kids have sleepovers at your home ? Why not, you might be concerned of the risks ?

Old 05-26-2013, 11:33 AM

10,942 posts, read 10,250,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post

Would you let 16 year old opposite sex kids have sleepovers at your home ? Why not, you might be concerned of the risks ?
No, I wouldn't.

But, again, since I know my son is not sexually attracted to other boys, I wouldn't be concerned about him having a sleep over with his gay friend.

My son is either gay.......or he isn't. I don't believe having a sleep over with a gay friend would have any affect whatsoever on his sexuality.

Old 05-26-2013, 11:33 AM

15,706 posts, read 11,769,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth-Kaunda View Post
sure, why not?

Love and orientation all boils down to sex, at the end of the day.

It's what makes people tick.

No sex = no orientation (with the default being hetero)
The level of ignorance expressed in your posts is staggering. Orientation exists regardless of behavior. A straight virgin is still straight. They still feel emotional/romantic/sexual attraction to the opposite sex. That's the meaning of orientation. We don't all become asexual if we're not in the physical process of sex.

Old 05-26-2013, 11:37 AM

15,706 posts, read 11,769,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth-Kaunda View Post
Everyone is hetero until they have sex.

Not contradictory at all, because a gay man or woman can still have a child.
If they are not attracted to the opposite sex, they are not hetero. Why is this so confusing for you people? I'm going to go out on a limb and say abnormally low IQ is the problem here.

Old 05-26-2013, 11:41 AM

5,660 posts, read 5,086,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
I'm going to go out on a limb and say abnormally low IQ is the problem here.
I'll have to agree with you on this point. I hope you can get the help you need.

Old 05-26-2013, 11:43 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,558,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
it's not and never has been. However, when openly gay boys are welcomed into the group, then sexuality becomes an issue. And alternative sexuality, whether acceptance or distain for, enters into the moral makeup of many parents. So if you wish to push acceptance of this alternative into a group where, feelings it's a safe space morally-speaking, I send my child, then I have an issue with it.

Assuming Johnny and Joe are the same age? If Joe is old enough to decide that he's gay, then Johnny is old enough to discern that such choices/declarations and the accompanying factors are inconsistent with his family's values and standards. Might Johnny feel uncomfortable in a Scout group with Joe, sharing sleeping or shower space, knowing that Joe might be having unnatural atrractions leading to unwanted actions.
Here's the thing, the scare tactics and hysteria are ridiculous. There are already codes of conduct in place. There is no sex in scouting. Period. Sexual activity will be investigated, and the scouts involved will be asked to leave. Same goes for aggression, extreme bullying, and some other infractions. Why would this change? The boys understand the codes of conduct.

Quote:
If they're seeking to join a physically active group where wilderness hiking is a regular activity, than how can they expect to participate? What accomdations need to be made to the detriment of others that they may participate? Should normal boys be forced to share a tent or shower with gay troop-mates, just so that the gays don't feel excluded?
Thankfully my son's troop makes every attempt to include all the boys in their choice of activity. There are boys with a variety of disabilities, and they are obviously more evolved that many adults in their considerations. There have always been gay boys in scouting. They have been sharing tents and showering together for decades. Get over it.

Quote:
Unless, of course, the real goal is to normalize in impressionable young minds that which parents may find abhorrent, and to do it in an environment away from those same parents?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies