Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2013, 09:06 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,235,629 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
True. But I seem to remember reading that Zimmerman was a bouncer at some point, which would have given him at least some experience in physical intimidation. I could certainly be incorrect about this - anyone know?
Bouncers. Made famous by the movie Roadhouse.
Many are large men former jocks who intimidate through their size.
GZ was a bouncer but that doesn't mean he had any ability. In fact given the fact that he got his butt owned by a 17 yearold wannabe pretty much demonstrates his lack of ability.

Old 06-29-2013, 09:07 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,548,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
So, anyone have anything to say about the trial itself? I, for one, thought both the defense and prosecution were really stretching on trying to get information out the PA. I also get based on my initial impression that Zimmerman seemed to think he didn't need a lawyer when he was brought to the police station. Not sure why because if it were me, I would have told my spouse to get a lawyer right away. Hard to believe in this day and age, people still don't get that - always ask for a lawyer!
They kept up on her and all she kept saying is "it could be".

As far as him not getting a lawyer he should have known better. Not like he wasn't in trouble before. He wanted to befriend the cops and really didn't think he needed one. The only problem is he should have kept feeding himself the same story so he wouldn't forget it instead of changing it up.

Old 06-29-2013, 09:15 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,290,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Bouncers. Made famous by the movie Roadhouse.
Many are large men former jocks who intimidate through their size.
GZ was a bouncer but that doesn't mean he had any ability. In fact given the fact that he got his butt owned by a 17 yearold wannabe pretty much demonstrates his lack of ability.
Roadhouse ... Patrick Swayze's butt ...

Yeah, no one said he was a GOOD bouncer, but he was a bouncer, then. And got into trouble for instigating violence against a couple of people. Guess he couldn't take a punch, tho.

Old 06-29-2013, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
Roadhouse ... Patrick Swayze's butt ...

Yeah, no one said he was a GOOD bouncer, but he was a bouncer, then. And got into trouble for instigating violence against a couple of people. Guess he couldn't take a punch, tho.
I know a bouncer at work. He is a purple belt , LOL he tells everyone who will listen. At a tech party he had a few too many and another tech who had few too many decided to exchange blows. The bouncer was owned completely.
Look at local cops. Hell look at some of the cops who testified. How many of them could go 1 on 1 with any reasonably fit person?
I know solid cops, guys I know can hold their own. It's a shame local PD's don't require their officers to meet a realistic fitness standard.
They also rely on the badge to be intimidating enough to prevent aggression towards them. This complaceny leads to cops getting their butts kicked.
Good cops detest the donut munchers who make them all look bad.
Bouncers typically rely on hype and numbers. 1 person throws a punch and he is dealing with 3 or 4 other bouncers.
No doubt there are some real contenders out there working as bouncers. I would wager they are far and few between.

Old 06-29-2013, 09:25 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,682,566 times
Quote:
We don't know exactly why TM decked him. The girl everyone makes fun of claims that there was dialog between TM and GZ. GZ may have made a very nasty remark. Who knows?
Uh, huh. That nasty remark was, "what are you doing here?" after Trayvon said, "what cho following me fo, cracka?"

After that, we don't know what happened, but it's seems pretty obvious Trayvon decided to SHOW George what he was doing.

Trayvon should have hiked his butt right on into Brandy's house instead of going down the dog path to find George and instigate a snit. That's what a well-brought up young man visiting a neighborhood other than his own would have done. He won't be doing that again anytime soon.

Old 06-29-2013, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
Uh, huh. That nasty remark was, "what are you doing here?" after Trayvon said, "what cho following me fo, cracka?"

After that, we don't know what happened, but it's seems pretty obvious Trayvon decided to SHOW George what he was doing.

Trayvon should have hiked his butt right on into Brandy's house instead of going down the dog path to find George and instigate a snit. That's what a well-brought up young man visiting a neighborhood other than his own would have done. He won't be doing that again anytime soon.
Or GZ could have followed his training and simply reported his observations and stayed in his vehicle. Same outcome.
Neither did what they should have done and we have someone shot instead.
Look you can say what you want but no one likes to be followed around at night by a complete stranger.
I would have been a little annoyed by GZ as well. Most people would be.
As for what was said between the two we most likely will never know. I don't recall testimony that TM asked what yo following me for cracka.
He may have said that. GZ may have called him an effing punk or an effing a hole or the N word. We don't know and GZ certainly won't admit it if he did.

Old 06-29-2013, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
Based on what I've seen thus far, yes, that's probable. However, at the end of the day, if the prosecution can't prove it, Zimmerman walks. That's the law. Those cell phone pictures with Zimmerman all bloody might be the single worst thing for the prosecution because it helps bolster the defense. If all they had were those pics from the police station, I don't think I would be as strong in believing self-defense was probable and if it's probable, then Zimmerman walks.
Very true. It's of great importance that the photos weren't taken by LE or any kind of professional photographer. When they were shown to Jenna, she didn't recognize George as the bloodied up person, even though she knew him from HOA meetings.

But you're right. If the only pictures were from the police station, I can only imagine the nonsensical theories.

Old 06-29-2013, 09:35 PM

1,280 posts, read 1,397,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
Florida law states that;

"Justifiable use of deadly force.—The use of deadly force is justifiable when a person is resisting any attempt to murder such person or to commit any felony upon him or her or upon or in any dwelling house in which such person shall be."

I'm not sure if a scuffle between two individuals qualifies as a felony.
I don't believe you are quoting the appropriate statute for this situation. The use of force in self defense is covered in statute 776.012. The applicable standard is reasonable belief that you're going to experience great bodily harm.

Quote:
Florida Laws: FL Statutes - Title XLVI Crimes Section 776.012 Use of force in defense of person.

776.012 Use of force in defense of person.—A person is justified in using force, except deadly force, against another when and to the extent that the person reasonably believes that such conduct is necessary to defend himself or herself or another against the other's imminent use of unlawful force. However, a person is justified in the use of deadly force and does not have a duty to retreat if:

(1) He or she reasonably believes that such force is necessary to prevent imminent death or great bodily harm to himself or herself or another or to prevent the imminent commission of a forcible felony; or

(2) Under those circumstances permitted pursuant to s. 776.013.

Old 06-29-2013, 09:35 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,033,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
The PA indicated it was a weight loss class using MMA style moves. There wouldn't be any contact. Basically it's just shadow boxing MMA style.
I can say, having taught hand to hand combat, you have to be VERY well versed in the moves before you use it in real life. The usual is you get someone with a few hours out there, try to use their newly acquired skills, and they end up getting their azz kicked.

Old 06-29-2013, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Or GZ could have followed his training and simply reported his observations and stayed in his vehicle. Same outcome.
Neither did what they should have done and we have someone shot instead.
Look you can say what you want but no one likes to be followed around at night by a complete stranger.
I would have been a little annoyed by GZ as well. Most people would be.
As for what was said between the two we most likely will never know.
I don't have a problem with George trying to see where Trayvon had gone. Some people would call that following. I call it avoiding standing there like an idiot with his head up his butt not being able to tell LE a single thing when they arrived.

"Which way did he go, George?"

"Uh, doh, I dunno, officer. That's yer job."

George was going back to his truck and was looking for an address to give dispatch. Trayvon decided to turn and go down the dog path opposite and away from Brandy's house so he could go find that cracka and show him a thing or two.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies