Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2013, 07:54 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,411,909 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
Not just tax benefits. The big one is spousal and survivor benefits under Social Security. The system is seriously strained as it is. There is also dependent insurance coverage, military and government retirement benefits, and on and on. Millions will jump on this scam and derail the whole thing for everybody.

.... nonsensical.

If every gay person turned straight tomorrow and married an opposite-sex partner, the strain on the system would be the same as gay people marrying gay people. For every man marrying a man is a woman marrying a woman.... makes no difference numbers-wise if that same man married a woman.

In FACT, where gays are..3-4% of the population, and if marriage rates mirror the straight community, you're looking at an increase of 1.5-2% in marriages. Well offset by the rapidly declining % of straight people married in the system.

Indeed, if all of us - gay or straight - were to all follow the religious imperative to get married and have as many kids as possible, THEN you would see a breakdown of the system! Imagine if the much bemoaned "single mothers" married all those fathers that everyone says they should. THAT is a much larger % increase in marriage, yet I don't see you hand wringers throwing up the argument of "strain on the system!"

Besides, if the solvency of "the system" is based on denying access to others, or that others must go without for a few, then the "system" is already broken.

See for example: Healthcare.

Old 06-26-2013, 07:56 AM

2,682 posts, read 4,481,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
I pay taxes to support your family, and spouse, yet have no access to the benefits I am paying for.

Maybe all of us homosexuals should start taking advantage of the welfare programs, since you don't want us to be treated equally. My family legally has 2 single mothers, there are tons of programs that we could both be enrolled in, but aren't. I don't work outside the home, so I have no income. If I didn't claim my partners income, I could get all kinds of assistance. I happen to be too honest to do this, and claim her income even though legally I don't have to.
It's funny you mention this. Since I can't put my GF on my insurance, she uses the free clinic. She gets all her appointments for a small copay - since she doesn't make much. Obviously the tax payers are subsidizing this. But what else are we to do, shell out thousands of dollars when we don't have to. We've been using the system here and there for her. I make too much to take any advantage, but she doesn't. I would love to add her to my insurance, but no, so we do it this way. People are just so small minded.

Old 06-26-2013, 08:23 AM

6,414 posts, read 10,495,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JobZombie View Post
Yes, “really”. You are not husband and wife. Marriage has never been of, about or for the homosexual. Marriage is a man and a woman and anything else is NOT marriage nor is it “pretty much the same” either. Different is not the same. Homosexualized marriage has redefined it such that what used to be marriage is no longer a man and a woman. You cannot redefine or change something and then expect it to be treated or much less regarded as if it had never been touched.
Oh now, get off your high horse. Marriage was not always about husband and wife, that is your christian ideal. But for me and my partner, we are husband and husband and if you do not like it, tough cookies, suck up your hurt. Marriage is not redefined and if you cannot get it that you are still husband and wife, then your marriage was already in trouble and it has nothing to do with gays getting married. You obviously did not learn to share in school. You are right, different is not the same, that is why civil unions or domestic partnerships do not work, they are separate and are not treated equal under the law. I am married to my parnter of 34 years, do not like, then you can go where the sun don't shine. You do not define my marriage.

Old 06-26-2013, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker5in1 View Post
If same sex marriage is upheld by SCOTUS then there will be millions of such "marriages" for benefits. The gays will have killed the system.
You mean the system that we have been paying into all along and you straight people have been taking advantage of? If anything, gay marriages more than make up for any differences in all of the marriage license fees, wedding receptions and celebrations. Stop blaming gay people for everything, take the blame yourself.

Old 06-26-2013, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
I think gay marriage will be legal eventually in all 50 states and there will be straight people marrying members of the same sex for the tax benefits. The result will be all of us will lose those benefits. So congrats on your big accomplishment, you just hurt the American family again.
It is not about the American family, they are the one sucking off the system as it is. What about gay families, they don't count, even though we pay more in taxes in the long run, taxes that help support your "American families".

Old 06-26-2013, 08:43 AM

8,632 posts, read 13,005,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth-Kaunda View Post
It suits my business needs to 'marry' one of my business partners , but I am a hetero.

Would this be possible to do, or would I have to prove my orientation status somehow?
I would think you would have to be homosexual to want a same-sex marriage unless your a straight man/woman in the closet pretending to be gay.

Old 06-26-2013, 09:48 AM

66 posts, read 98,810 times
dfb

Old 06-26-2013, 09:52 AM

2,991 posts, read 4,291,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApresNY View Post
Not every married couple has relations.
I hope that the Supreme Court will rule that people who live in California have a right to marry their dogs.

Old 06-26-2013, 10:00 AM

14,917 posts, read 13,105,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamish Forbes View Post
I hope that the Supreme Court will rule that people who live in California have a right to marry their dogs.
You better keep the fact that you're in love with and having sex with your dog on the down-low. I don't see the Supreme Court granting your wish anytime soon.

Old 06-26-2013, 10:02 AM

2,991 posts, read 4,291,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
You better keep the fact that you're in love with and having sex with your dog on the down-low. I don't see the Supreme Court granting your wish anytime soon.
I don't live in California, and I don't like dogs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies