Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2013, 08:58 PM

5,064 posts, read 5,726,929 times

Advertisements

Am I the only person commenting that actually read the story? The first lungs were defective. The failure had nothing to do with her being a child and getting adult lungs. The second lungs she got were also adult lungs and ones that had pneumonia.
Neither time did she get good organs.

Quote:
Doctors said Sarah developed a complication called Primary Graft Failure, due to the poor quality of the lungs, according to the family. . . .
"The doctors are telling us that the first and second transplants have nothing to do with each other. That the first donor transplant was a donor issue," Janet Murnaghan said. "Her body did not reject them."
Janet said the family knew Sarah was being given "marginal" lungs, but were left with no choice because her condition was so dire.
.................................................. ..................
But the new surgery had its own risks. The new donor lungs, which were also from an adult, were infected with pneumonia.
I went through this with an organ donation for my SIL. She would have died within days so the doctors said she may have to take a liver from someone who had hepatitis just to give her any chance to live. She was a young mother, so her husband said they were desperate enough to take anything. Luckily she ended up getting a healthy organ.

It's great to have a debate about transplants (and please, please consider signing your donor card- only 37% of Americans have signed donor cards and it's really dire for African Americans- less than 15%, so please sign up to donate), but the failure of her transplant had nothing to do with the exception she got. The lungs would have failed in whoever received them. They were poor lungs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2013, 10:41 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,804,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brentwoodgirl View Post
Am I the only person commenting that actually read the story? The first lungs were defective. The failure had nothing to do with her being a child and getting adult lungs. The second lungs she got were also adult lungs and ones that had pneumonia.

I went through this with an organ donation for my SIL. She would have died within days so the doctors said she may have to take a liver from someone who had hepatitis just to give her any chance to live. She was a young mother, so her husband said they were desperate enough to take anything. Luckily she ended up getting a healthy organ.

It's great to have a debate about transplants (and please, please consider signing your donor card- only 37% of Americans have signed donor cards and it's really dire for African Americans- less than 15%, so please sign up to donate), but the failure of her transplant had nothing to do with the exception she got. The lungs would have failed in whoever received them. They were poor lungs.

Sarah is having surgery tomorrow. Sarah's doctors will perform a procedure called a diaphragm plication to flatten the dome of the diaphragm, to provide the lung with greater volume for expansion and hopefully ease extubation.
News Release: Murnaghans' June 28 Statement - Philadelphia News, Weather and Sports from WTXF FOX 29

Apparently, Sarah is unable to breathe on her own. She does not have room in her chest cavity to expand those adult sized lungs during inhalation.

Last edited by jojajn; 06-30-2013 at 11:04 PM..

Old 06-30-2013, 11:02 PM

46,943 posts, read 25,969,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Her doctors were wrong? You loons just got done arguing that doctors should have the final say?
The idea that there are two teams of doctors here - those who wrote the guidelines and those who are on the case - seems to baffle you.

Old 06-30-2013, 11:16 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,666,120 times
It would be a blessing if she died under anasthesia.I know I didn't spell that right. Deal with it.

I wouldn't let my beloved dog suffer like she has.

It's time to let her go.

Old 07-01-2013, 05:21 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,515,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
It would be a blessing if she died under anasthesia.I know I didn't spell that right. Deal with it.

I wouldn't let my beloved dog suffer like she has.

It's time to let her go.
I'm beginning to think you are right. I wonder if the doctors have counseled the parents on what her life might be like by prolonging it a month or two.

Hopefully, this will work since it's already been done.

A situation I hope to never face.

Old 07-01-2013, 05:37 AM

9,006 posts, read 13,832,678 times
Just how do We know that the second pair of lungs would have went to someone else?

I really want to look at it from a different angle.
Someone who would have had a better survival could have gotten that second pair of lungs.
But,would I feell the same way if the adult in question was a 55 year old who had wmphysema from smoking 3 packs of cigarettes a day? No,in that case she would be the better match,I guess.

Old 07-01-2013, 08:04 AM

9,189 posts, read 7,595,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brentwoodgirl View Post

I can't believe any surgeon would agree to transplant a defective organ. Their guidelines are very strict especially if there is a living donor. If the living donor has high blood pressure they are not approved so I don't understand how a pneumonia infected lung would be approved for transplant. IDK, maybe guidelines are different by state.

Old 07-01-2013, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
Just how do We know that the second pair of lungs would have went to someone else?

I really want to look at it from a different angle.
Someone who would have had a better survival could have gotten that second pair of lungs.
But,would I feell the same way if the adult in question was a 55 year old who had wmphysema from smoking 3 packs of cigarettes a day? No,in that case she would be the better match,I guess.
Many are young teens who are also very ill with Cystic Fibrosis.

Old 07-01-2013, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzy24 View Post
I can't believe any surgeon would agree to transplant a defective organ. Their guidelines are very strict especially if there is a living donor. If the living donor has high blood pressure they are not approved so I don't understand how a pneumonia infected lung would be approved for transplant. IDK, maybe guidelines are different by state.

The way I understand it is that this particular donor for Sarah had a past history of pneumonia. The donor lungs were not infected with pneumonia at the time of transplant. IMO, this was brought up to the media in an attempt to justify a second transplant within 3 days of a poorly matched recipient (two small for a set of adult lungs).

Last edited by jojajn; 07-01-2013 at 10:09 AM..

Old 07-01-2013, 09:42 AM

5,728 posts, read 3,249,871 times
easy to say when its not your kid or loved one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Liberals are against judges making medical decisions, and over ruling medical professionals who put the guidelines in place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies