Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2013, 04:02 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,616,636 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaWoman View Post
I would have no problem with Sharpton getting involved ... it doesn't look like Clint Eastwood or Donald Trump will stand-up. Heck Sharpton and Jesse both could certainly stir up the media for Kelly.

I have stood up for things I believe in, joined in body searches, car searches in the past. My husband was serving in Vietnam in 1969 and I was marching against the war.
I would love to see that happen. Doubt it would, though.

I wonder if ABC being owned by Disney might be a factor. Disney is very tied in with the OC power structure.

Old 07-07-2013, 08:06 PM

1,360 posts, read 2,952,470 times
I think the Trayvon Martin case may be as much a referendum on gun laws as anything else, in particular the Stand Your Ground laws. This comes at a time in which the 2nd amendment is under such scrutiny. The racial overtones are definitely there, but I don't think thats the central issue.

Old 07-07-2013, 09:04 PM

774 posts, read 1,694,379 times
Quote:
Rodney King was an "anti-cop" agenda. Also riots and fires followed. Rodney was a black man and yes they beat him and the whole world witnessed that beating. Rodney's beating was no different from Kelly's beating. The only difference these cops beat Kelly to death. Both beatings made me sick.
It always struck me as odd that King's beating became a worldwide cause célèbre but the 52 people who were killed in the rioting that followed were completely forgotten. Can anyone name a single one of them?

Quote:
Why don't we have a white Jesse or Al ... where are they?
They would be crucified in the MSM as soon as they so much as dared to speak up.

Old 07-07-2013, 09:04 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,825,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _redbird_ View Post
Excellent points by many on this thread, but as most of you know, there are countless THOUSANDS of murders and/or fatal beatings that do not gain a media circus or national attention. Even beatings by cops.

If the media circus can gain some ratings, or the newspaper can sell it, it will happen. And all the variations of white on white, black on black, white cop on polka dot whatever, you can imagine will not matter. There is more than one person somewhere pushing the media circus. And the internet is fuel to the fire.

If a poor white, homeless person is beat to death, why is there no media outrage? Because our media knows which sells and which doesn't, and there are those who jump on perceived travesties of justice that are within their own race. That is what they do. That is their calling. They have their reward.

Why are there no white people who jump up and down when a white person is beaten to death by a cop? I don't know, but if I had to venture a guess... it would be $$$. Outraged? Sure!!!! So ask yourselves why there is no white Al Sharpton. It's not because white people are more civilized. That was a nice comment. Oh, and whites don't start riots. That was good too. Yeppir, no racist cards here.

Because in the long run, no one cares about this victim enough. Oh sure, a thread is started. But, beyond that, it's back to the daily grind and tomorrow's news will erase this travesty of justice. And it will happen again and again.

America is famous for ignoring thousands of injustices and then going ape wild over one little incident and spend thousands to rectify one incident with hundreds of news cameras, etc.. Yet all around us there are gross injustices.

As for one of the early questions as to why Obama did not say if he had a son, he would have looked like KT, I think the fact that KT is white and does not look anything like what a son of the POTUS would look like. Duh. Would it really matter if he did? Okay, here is one. If Sarah Palin had a kid, blah blah blah. There. Happy?
From Obama to Palin in one swift sweep..My point is that Obama interfered with the Zimmerman Martin affair..He should have kept his mouth shut. Out of the thousands of black kids that are killed - Obama gets in on the Martin killing because it was politically valuable for him to chime in...Just like media - just like politics...what sells it what sell...and this poor white man was of no value to Obama or to the media.

Old 07-07-2013, 09:08 PM

Human rights are for all human beings not just special groups or races...If this guy was beat to death because he was homeless and gay for instance - the nation would have been in an uproar. People cherry pick their human rights causes.

Old 07-08-2013, 12:31 AM

297 posts, read 520,193 times
There have always been victims that garnered media coverage because they fit into a certain demographic, and victims who were ignored because they didn't. There will always be high-profile cases, and obscure cases. The Zimmerman case has more appeal to the general public than the Kelly case. A lot of the interest in the Zimmerman case is not by people who are outraged by Trayvon's death, but by people who think Zimmerman was using self-defense.

It's funny though reading comments by people implying the media is ignoring the Kelly case because the victim was white. Because you know, white victims of crime never make the news....

Old 07-08-2013, 08:02 AM

8,069 posts, read 6,975,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo6 View Post
I think the Trayvon Martin case may be as much a referendum on gun laws as anything else, in particular the Stand Your Ground laws. This comes at a time in which the 2nd amendment is under such scrutiny. The racial overtones are definitely there, but I don't think thats the central issue.
Yes especially to those of us living in Florida since we are a purple state. That is a major issue here, gun laws. We have major party issues here in Florida We have conservatives writing laws and liberals voting no.

Old 07-08-2013, 08:52 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,616,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archguy View Post
They would be crucified in the MSM as soon as they so much as dared to speak up.
I'm not sure about that.

The problem is that white America tends to be way too deferential to authority, and, ever since the Nixon era, has swallowed the "law and order" mantra hook, line, and sinker. Hopefully this is coming to an end (and I say this as someone who's of mixed ancestry)

Old 07-08-2013, 09:09 AM

Heard something interesting today, regarding the recruitment of police officers. One man who was tested to see if he would fit the mold of today's cop - was rejected...They said his IQ was too high. Can you believe that...and the EXCUSE was.."We will waste resources training this person - He will become bored and leave the force" -

I think this is a false explanation. What is really going on is that they want fairly base and dumb people who will follow policy and procedure with out question...that they will never question orders. I heard of this years ago that people were rejected for being to intelligent...Meanwhile this candidate did get another job...as a prison guard..

So what we have are a bunch of clowns with guns who are told to shoot anyone that is a threat...shoot anyone that appears to have a weapon...always shoot for center mass to kill...and so on. I am sure that the powers that be are fully aware that law enforcement is slowly de-evolving into an army of drones. A dangerous force of goons who maintain political power through coercion. Dumb people are more prone to embrace evil than the brighter ones.

Old 07-08-2013, 10:09 AM

9,617 posts, read 6,068,868 times
You want visibility? Move this thread over to Politics and Controversy. The movie with Jiminy Crickett could cause an all out war over there. I know. I'm one of the foot soldiers in P&C.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies