Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2013, 12:11 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,616,636 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
Those of you who want to bring up "race" as the reason why this was not as well know as the Trayvon murder are more guilty of "race baiting" than Rev Jackson or Sharpton. The reason that this was not made as public is because there was no one to push the issue, nothing more and nothing less. The Martins asked Rev Sharpton to put light on the fact that their son was killed and the police did not do a real investigation and let his murderer walk based solely on his word. The only racial part of that case was the fact that the police shoody work and their past history with blacks.

For those of you who claim "because he was not black crap" Where were you in putting light on the subject since you are so concerned? I'm, sure a few "concerned" upstanding white citizens have a hell of a lot more pull than a bunch of black marchers and a handful of Jesse Jacksons and Al Sharptons
Sharpton is a major media personality who is highly, highly connected. While certainly controversial he's definitely rich and famous.

Old 07-07-2013, 12:19 AM

7,006 posts, read 6,998,053 times
Quote:
The reason that this was not made as public is because there was no one to push the issue, nothing more and nothing less.
Kelly Thomas' father has been pushing for media attention for a while. He got some only after he released the photo of his son's smashed up body in the hospital. Even so, he still struggles to get this story to go national instead of local. So-called civil rights leaders have not offered to help him. Ask yourself, why is that?

Quote:
The Martins asked Rev Sharpton to put light on the fact that their son was killed and the police did not do a real investigation and let his murderer walk based solely on his word.
The Martins approached Sharpton only after the media erroneously reported that Zimmerman was white (he's hispanic actually). Everybody knows Sharpton's a race rioter, he's the first person blacks turn to when they think they've been wronged by whites. The media are Sharpton's lap dogs.

And you say we're as bad as Sharpton for pointing out these facts? pssh.

Old 07-07-2013, 04:55 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,827,353 times
If Martin was killed by cops ...there would not be a trial - cops are the status quo when it comes to maintaining their innocence in all matters...They would have said that Martin resisted arrest - that he LUNGED at them...that it LOOKED like he was holding a shinny object that could have been a knife - that the cops thought that they were in danger...The are sad to say that the knife was actually a can of soda and the way the light hit the metal GAVE THE APPEARANCE of a knife ...The cops have got it down pat when it comes to justification in the use of deadly force..

Kelly Thomas was just a mangy dog in the eyes of cops....an opportunity to exercise their sick need for sadism...They enjoyed beating him...the same way they enjoy sex....there is something very dysfunctional about a person who gets a thrill about destroying the body of another human being by bashing them to a pulp....I would not be surprised if this is the only way these dumb sadistic animals can achieve an erection. No questions asked..when it is seen that these so-called officers suffer from perversion...they have to go...this type of deviate behavior is a mental illness and the mentally ill should not have the power of life and death over a citizen. They say that Kelly Thomas was mentally ill....well - so were these police...but no one is going to admit that law enforcement are human and also can suffer from mental illness.

Old 07-07-2013, 06:08 AM

24,509 posts, read 24,209,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaWoman View Post
Why don't we have a white Jesse or Al ... where are they? The people that would get out there and stand up, march, protest for Kelly's civil liberties. I don't mean skinheads or KKK either since I don't like them either.
Carolina, IDK why "we" don't have any "crusaders". Maybe because "we" don't riot, loot and cause civil disobedience after things go wrong? (think Rodney King aftermath) Maybe because "we" act civilized? How many whites would think to riot? Not anyone I know of. Maybe because "we" have never needed one (or two).

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Yes it is! But nothing should steal the thunder and outrage from this story!
I totally agree, fisheye.

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
Actually the question why bring up important issues pertaining to cases we do or don't hear about, that's an outrage.
Whaaaa? What do you mean????

Quote:
Those of you who want to bring up "race" as the reason why this was not as well know as the Trayvon murder are more guilty of "race baiting" than Rev Jackson or Sharpton. The reason that this was not made as public is because there was no one to push the issue, nothing more and nothing less. The Martins asked Rev Sharpton to put light on the fact that their son was killed and the police did not do a real investigation and let his murderer walk based solely on his word. The only racial part of that case was the fact that the police shoody work and their past history with blacks.

For those of you who claim "because he was not black crap" Where were you in putting light on the subject since you are so concerned? I'm, sure a few "concerned" upstanding white citizens have a hell of a lot more pull than a bunch of black marchers and a handful of Jesse Jacksons and Al Sharptons
Yea, yeah, yeah. How does it feel??? What, whites can't use the race card? Only non-whites have that "right"? Gimme a break.

I was never aware of the story so I couldn't be outraged.

No, a "few "concerned" white citizens have no clout. Didn't you see the white people marching, holding signs in the video? What did that get Kelly? Nada.

Old 07-07-2013, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaWoman View Post
Why don't we have a white Jesse or Al ... where are they? The people that would get out there and stand up, march, protest for Kelly's civil liberties. I don't mean skinheads or KKK either since I don't like them either.
You know that is a very good point and would show honesty and good faith if black activists came to the aid of a white victim...Imagine how much good that would cause? BUT- it seems that activists are tribal...they only make an issue of their own...THAT is why there is a divided nation..Some one like Sharpton or Jesse...could have some great impact by defending white victims.....it would really send some shock waves into the system. If Blacks - or gays or Jews or who ever would stand up for ALL human rights...THEN and only then would there be real positive change...but they are to stupid to take this approach.

Old 07-07-2013, 08:13 AM

Okay my last post had an insult...."but are to stupid to take this approach" I will correct that and make my statement more accurate...The lack imagination and vision and are institutionalized in their thought...to the point where they can not think outside the proverbial box...Human rights are slowly disappearing not just for some but for ALL Americans...You have to bond and work together. "A Divided house can not stand"

Old 07-07-2013, 08:34 AM

8,069 posts, read 6,976,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
Kelly Thomas' father has been pushing for media attention for a while. He got some only after he released the photo of his son's smashed up body in the hospital. Even so, he still struggles to get this story to go national instead of local. So-called civil rights leaders have not offered to help him. Ask yourself, why is that?

The Martins approached Sharpton only after the media erroneously reported that Zimmerman was white (he's hispanic actually). Everybody knows Sharpton's a race rioter, he's the first person blacks turn to when they think they've been wronged by whites. The media are Sharpton's lap dogs.

And you say we're as bad as Sharpton for pointing out these facts? pssh.
Well it was wrong to make it a racial issue but they were not wrong about his race.

You can be both white and hispanic. Hispanic is not a race it's an ethnicity but if we gonna do the blood test chances are very high GZ's mom has a good amount of white european blood too, so that would make GZ about 55-80% European white, so we are back to square one.

Zimmerman might not look like your typical English or German man but he looks closer to people from Spain or the Mediterrenian than to Amerindians or blacks. Those people are also white. Speaking spanish does not erase your race.

Old 07-07-2013, 12:36 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,545,660 times
Excellent points by many on this thread, but as most of you know, there are countless THOUSANDS of murders and/or fatal beatings that do not gain a media circus or national attention. Even beatings by cops.

If the media circus can gain some ratings, or the newspaper can sell it, it will happen. And all the variations of white on white, black on black, white cop on polka dot whatever, you can imagine will not matter. There is more than one person somewhere pushing the media circus. And the internet is fuel to the fire.

If a poor white, homeless person is beat to death, why is there no media outrage? Because our media knows which sells and which doesn't, and there are those who jump on perceived travesties of justice that are within their own race. That is what they do. That is their calling. They have their reward.

Why are there no white people who jump up and down when a white person is beaten to death by a cop? I don't know, but if I had to venture a guess... it would be $$$. Outraged? Sure!!!! So ask yourselves why there is no white Al Sharpton. It's not because white people are more civilized. That was a nice comment. Oh, and whites don't start riots. That was good too. Yeppir, no racist cards here.

Because in the long run, no one cares about this victim enough. Oh sure, a thread is started. But, beyond that, it's back to the daily grind and tomorrow's news will erase this travesty of justice. And it will happen again and again.

America is famous for ignoring thousands of injustices and then going ape wild over one little incident and spend thousands to rectify one incident with hundreds of news cameras, etc.. Yet all around us there are gross injustices.

As for one of the early questions as to why Obama did not say if he had a son, he would have looked like KT, I think the fact that KT is white and does not look anything like what a son of the POTUS would look like. Duh. Would it really matter if he did? Okay, here is one. If Sarah Palin had a kid, blah blah blah. There. Happy?

Old 07-07-2013, 02:16 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,380,609 times
The media drives criminal charges and prosecution. We only hear about cases that have some angle for sensationalismhttp://m.palmbeachpost.com/news/news/crime-law/barahona-murder-child-abuse-case-began-2-years-ago/nWPG5/. And, I have no doubt, it is politically driven.

Look at the case of Nubia Barahona, dead for years, still no trial date. Someone is holding this from trial, hoping the perpetrators will take a plea, and it all goes away, quietly.

Old 07-07-2013, 03:19 PM

10,113 posts, read 10,972,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Sharpton is a major media personality who is highly, highly connected. While certainly controversial he's definitely rich and famous.
I would have no problem with Sharpton getting involved ... it doesn't look like Clint Eastwood or Donald Trump will stand-up. Heck Sharpton and Jesse both could certainly stir up the media for Kelly.

I have stood up for things I believe in, joined in body searches, car searches in the past. My husband was serving in Vietnam in 1969 and I was marching against the war.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies