Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2013, 09:46 AM

9,598 posts, read 16,572,790 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
GZ was a civilian headed to the store. He was legally carrying a gun like I and others with a CCW might do.

There was no official identifying gear to be worn and as a Civilian he could legally watch or follow anyone out on a public street. He called 911 and was one the phone trying to coordinate with their arrival.

He could have ignored TM. It was not illegal to do so and he did procedures correctly.
Name another state besides Texas where Zimmerman isn't a slam dunk for jail. That's the real issue.

Old 07-11-2013, 09:46 AM

12,372 posts, read 9,319,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunther Rall View Post
YOU'RE the one who posted the "definitions" of "stalking" to defend your weak position...I pointed out they weren't the LEGAL definitions.

Now you're just deflecting.
No where did I post that was no difference between the legal definition of stalking and the common definition. The fact is and the point I was trying to make is that Martin had good reason to be fearful. If you want me to change the word 'stalking' to "following in a menacing way' I will. THAT you can't possibility deny was what Zimmerman was doing that night.

Old 07-11-2013, 09:48 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,231,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftymh View Post
50 feet is not even the distance between home plate and the pitcher's mound.
But, it was the distance left for this teen to have gotten home. George's goal was that he didn't get home. So, he shot and killed him.
So, how did George get down that path....Are you arguing that Trayvon drug him down that path?? George says it started at the "T" That is not logical....Given the flashlight ended up next to Trayvon's body...The can of soda was still in Trayvons pouch...Put some logic in your thoughts....

Old 07-11-2013, 09:48 AM

12,200 posts, read 18,383,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
GZ was a civilian headed to the store. He was legally carrying a gun like I and others with a CCW might do.

There was no official identifying gear to be worn and as a Civilian he could legally watch or follow anyone out on a public street. He called 911 and was one the phone trying to coordinate with their arrival.

He could have ignored TM. It was not illegal to do so and he did procedures correctly.
One of the things I would have loved to hear him answer (had he taken the stand) is why when the dispatcher suggested he meet the police by the mailboxes he instead asked them to call him when they arrived. Why not just say "okay" and drive over to the mailboxes?

Old 07-11-2013, 09:49 AM

10,942 posts, read 10,260,562 times
Quote:
trayvon had an illegal substance in his system. zimmerman didn't.
We don't know that.

Just because he wasn't required to submit to a tox screening doesn't mean he didn't have *something* in his system, even alcohol.

You can't say definitively whether or not he did because we don't know - and we will never know.

3,846 posts, read 2,386,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_Carbonni View Post

So that would be his life in prison. Placed in PC or hanging out with a bunch of skinheads and Cuban and Colombian gangsters while trying to avoid getting stabbed with a sharpened toothbrush.
Seems to be a lot of THEM on this forum.

40,954 posts, read 49,221,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_Carbonni View Post
Trayvon was 17. And so what?

I look back at myself and some of the guys from my neighborhood at 15, 16, and 17 and although we weren't legally adults; we weren't exactly small children. Many of us drove. Most of us had already had sex. Nearly all of us had done drugs. We would regularly get into into fistfights with each other and strangers. And some of the guys I knew were criminals and some of them have since ended up in prison as adults.

Statistically speaking, males aged 16-24 are the most violent demographic. You have a mixture of inexperience, testosterone, and a chorus of other guys in your age group saying, "Are you going to let him get away with that?" anytime words are exchanged.

I doubt Zimmerman terrorized and menaced Trayvon. From his own friend's account of their conversation before the confrontation which lead to the shooting; when she was asked why Travyon didn't go home after evading Zimmerman instead of going back to confront him she responded with "Trayvon wasn't like that" and that he also referred to him as a "creepy-ass cracker". That doesn't sound like someone who frightened. It sounds like someone who was pissed off and wanted to teach someone a lesson.

Maybe he was "terrorized" by the fact that Zimmerman was larger than him, so he couldn't risk confronting him directly in the possibility he might lose, so he chose to jump out and sucker punch him instead and paid the price for it.

Do I think Trayvon "deserved" to die? No. Not even if he completely started it. However, Zimmerman wasn't wrong to kill him. Have you ever had someone on top of your chest punching your face? I have. Now, unless you have extensive training in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu or Judo and know the various sweeps to get out of it, it is a very hard position to get out of.

There are basically three ways to get out it if you have no formal training:

1) Start thrashing from side-to-side and try to get the person on top to lose balance. If they they are well positioned, it probably will not work and you still are getting punched in the face in the meantime.

2) Try to roll over onto your stomach and use your better position to stand-up as it is easier to use your arms and your back can support their weight easier. This is actually relatively easy. However, you also risk at least one chokehold in this position, it makes it harder to protect your face in the meantime, it also exposes the neck and the back of head (which holds the part of the brain which controls literally all your vital functions and blows to the back of head are one of the most causes of routine fistfights resulting in death) to additional punches, and it also makes it easier for the other guy to slam your face into the ground.

3) Eye gouge, claw at the mouth or nose, grab the testicles, grab and bite his hand, or shoot him. This is the easiest and probably most effective way for Joe Schmo and they are also banned in every type of martial arts competition because they all can lead to serious injury, but when you have someone punching you in the face and you cannot get out of it, your instincts kick in and there is almost nothing you will not do to get out it.

Zimmerman picked Option #3.
Great post Frank. Few men on here won't admit to being extremely stupid at 16-20.

To this day I'm surprised many of us survived those days. Reckless driving, drinking, drugs, fights. Luckily back then guns were not in the hands of the youth like they are today.

Old 07-11-2013, 09:50 AM

370 posts, read 247,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
No where did I post that was no difference between the legal definition of stalking and the common definition. The fact is Martin had reason to be fearful. If you want me to change the word 'stalking' to "following in a menacing way' I will. THAT you can't possibility deny was what Zimmerman was doing that night.
..and now you're evading and moving the goal post to create confusion.
It was amusing at first... but now it's beginning to sound shrill and desperate.

Old 07-11-2013, 09:50 AM

27,623 posts, read 21,140,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
Yep....That's why Trayvon's body was down the path about 50'....
That is the running mantra for George's supporters....George did nothing wrong. He was looking for an address...Right...With a loaded gun, after escalating from "watching" to following. Keep telling yourself that.
It also has been pointed ou that an address was visible where GZ claimed there was none. I also cannot fathom that he did not know the name of the street he was on as the complex is not all that big.

Old 07-11-2013, 09:51 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,823,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Ah...It's not abuse if taken as prescribed.
But drugs can still have unwanted side effects. One of those drugs he was on was mentioned in another thread as one which can help one pass a lie detector test.

Quote:
trayvon had an illegal substance in his system. zimmerman didn't.
I've only been this far, to post 2781. Forgive me if I'm being repetitious, but we don't know what Zimmerman had in his "system", b/c his "system" wasn't examined.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies