Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2013, 08:14 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,244,067 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evenstar51 View Post
Rachel Jeantel was raised in a home where Creole and French were the primary languages; her accent and appearance made her an easy target for people with little to no experience with people of different
heritages. IMO, it would have been powerful testimony if the Defense had called one or two of the children that George Zimmerman had mentored. I wonder how that got by O'Mara?
She was an easy target because a 19 year old senior in H.S raised in this country, interacting with native citizens everyday should be able to utter a complete sentence. My step daughter raised in Thailand in a Thai house hold who speaks 3 languages is far more able to communicate in english and she can read cursive writing.
Rachel has been failed by the system and her parents and that is sad beyond words.

Old 07-11-2013, 08:36 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,392,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
She was an easy target because a 19 year old senior in H.S raised in this country, interacting with native citizens everyday should be able to utter a complete sentence. My step daughter raised in Thailand in a Thai house hold who speaks 3 languages is far more able to communicate in english and she can read cursive writing.
Rachel has been failed by the system and her parents and that is sad beyond words.
And I can understand that but I'll never understand the numerous attacks on the girls appearance. I never knew there was a certain level of beauty required to testify in court. Even the public figures were doing it...calling the girl Precious, which is basically code for fat, black and ugly. Complete horrid behavior on behalf of adults and supposed professionals.

Old 07-11-2013, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nat_at772 View Post
And I can understand that but I'll never understand the numerous attacks on the girls appearance. I never knew there was a certain level of beauty required to testify in court. Even the public figures were doing it...calling the girl Precious, which is basically code for fat, black and ugly. Complete horrid behavior on behalf of adults and supposed professionals.
Oh I agree. Some of the posts were as hateful as the day is long. They say kids are cruel. No they aren't that is a learned behavior and they learn it from so-called adults....
She kept her poise pretty well considering she took some badgering from the defense. I would have said look you skelatore looking freak show me some respect or I'll start talking about your nasty looking head.

Old 07-11-2013, 08:41 PM

10,942 posts, read 10,269,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocLot View Post
I agree. The most upsetting thing about this whole case for me is how folks are making a mockery of Trayvon's death. No matter how you feel about what happened that night or whether or not you feel Zimmerman is being railroaded, there's no need to attack Trayvon, Rachel Jeantel and/or his parents.

There's no need to make light of his death. He was not a pedophile, mass murderer and/or depraved person. He was a teen with behavioral issues (not a foreign concept with teens), who was killed. No matter the hows and whys, this is a death to be mourned, not mocked.

But I agree with you, those who wish to think ill of black people won't be moved. And while I also hope there are no riots, perhaps the buffoons rioting will collide with the buffoon racists and we can eradicate both from this world.
Well said (couldn't rep you again, unfortunately).

There have been some truly despicable things said here about a dead teenager and the family that is grieving for him.

It has made me ashamed and sad and disgusted that there are people on this earth (many of them probably claiming to be christians) who are capable of such a complete lack of compassion and empathy.

Old 07-11-2013, 08:47 PM

3,216 posts, read 2,088,719 times
Quote:
Bad shoot or not he hit his target... He is an idiot but he made it a kill with 1 shoot. A lot of cops involved in shootings burn an entire magazine and at short range.
That would have been pretty bad if he missed from 4 inches as the medical examiner testified.

Old 07-11-2013, 08:50 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,662,514 times
Quote:
Yeah, but I trust her testimony more than the slick presentation of yesterday's self-aggrandizing fighting expert. That guy didn't know Trayvon, he didn't know Zimmerman, he knew nothing about nothing. He approached the incident from some sort of "fight" perspective, and kept talking about the combatants, and training as if it were some sort of MMA match that two people voluntarily were engaged in.

But the basics of Rachel's story never changed. The jurors shouldn't simply disregard her testimony because she had educational deficits and was kind of inarticulate.

Old 07-11-2013, 08:51 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,392,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinebar View Post
It has made me ashamed and sad and disgusted that there are people on this earth (many of them probably claiming to be christians) who are capable of such a complete lack of compassion and empathy.
That's what I don't get. Such strong emotions for people they've never met.

I've seen the family of the victim show empathy to the person who committed the crime & their family simply because at the end of the day lives have been altered. Everybody is mourning something. I sympathize for EVERYONE involved here; Martin's family & Zimmerman's family. I don't care what anyone says; even if he's found not guilty he's not gonna be skipping around town drinking Starbucks tomorrow. Regardless of the jury's decision the course of his life has been changed forever.

Old 07-11-2013, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
Yeah, but I trust her testimony more than the slick presentation of yesterday's self-aggrandizing fighting expert. That guy didn't know Trayvon, he didn't know Zimmerman, he knew nothing about nothing. He approached the incident from some sort of "fight" perspective, and kept talking about the combatants, and training as if it were some sort of MMA match that two people voluntarily were engaged in.

But the basics of Rachel's story never changed. The jurors shouldn't simply disregard her testimony because she had educational deficits and was kind of inarticulate.
No they should not.. I find the veracity of her testimony more reliable than GZ's. That said she wasn't there either and she only could repeat what TM was saying and what she thought was happening. It's a weak piece of evidence at best.
As for the MMA guy. I was at work and missed it.

Old 07-11-2013, 08:58 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,662,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nat_at772 View Post
That's what I don't get. Such strong emotions for people they've never met.

I've seen the family of the victim show empathy to the person who committed the crime & their family simply because at the end of the day lives have been altered. Everybody is mourning something. I sympathize for EVERYONE involved here; Martin's family & Zimmerman's family. I don't care what anyone says; even if he's found not guilty he's not gonna be skipping around town drinking Starbucks tomorrow. Regardless of the jury's decision the course of his life has been changed forever.
If acquitted though Zimmerman will still be alive. He'll still be able to feel the sun on his face, enjoy a meal, even have kids if he wants, and heck, he can go get some plastic surgery, change his last name, and move to Idaho if he wants. His life is not over, Trayvon's is.

Zimmerman brought this on himself the moment he profiled Trayvon and got out of that truck, and he took a life; my sympathy level for him is pretty low.

Old 07-11-2013, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlandochuck1 View Post
Here is the deal...you never draw your weapon on someone unless you believe you may die if you don't. So even if it did get taken and used on him, he won't be any more dead than he would have anyhow.
Wise words and very true. You pull it you use it, otherwise leave it in the holster.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies