Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2013, 12:04 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,894,256 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Handz View Post
I don't know? I'm not sure this is an epidemic that needs this kind of focus in the first place. And how do they figure removing stigma from the equation is going to facilitate voluntary rehabilitation? What are they basing this theory on? Drug use is glorified in todays society and it ruins thousands of lives a day but yet many (most?) people need court mandates to take the first step for them.

Anybody with half a brain would look at this objective with a raised brow. It's a loaded agenda, and IMO, a pretty scummy thing to do.

I'm not trying to be antagonist right now in anyway....but this is something that should put homosexuals in a tough spot.
Why would this put homosexuals in a tough spot? There is no relation between homosexuality and pedophilia.

I agree with you that skepticism is appropriate when it comes to these kinds of issues. On the one hand, we have people who are attracted to children and we don't want them to act on that attraction. Rather, we want them to seek psychiatric counseling and support to prevent them from ever acting on the attraction. But trying to re-define pedophilia in the psychiatric community to remove stigma may not be the best strategy to dealing with this problem.

Old 07-26-2013, 12:08 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,702,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
Minor-attracted persons? That certainly sounds better than creepy pervert.
Just more liberal/progressive renaming for greater acceptability among the population.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
of course they'd try to normalize pedos the instant when homosexuality became more acceptable in society.

every sexual dysfunction wants rights.
Every time anyone has talked about the slippery slope and how "normalizing" homosexuality and same sex marriage will lead to other demands from others for similar "normalizing" of their perverted desires and actions in society, it's been called "crazy...of course it won't lead to that..." And here we see further efforts on a "reputable" scale to do just that.

Quote:
I never said homosexuality was normal.

but we're not discussing homosexuality in this thread.

Let's stay on topic.
Explain please how NAMBLA is not a homosexually oriented bunch. How can we discuss NAMBLA apart from that?

Old 07-26-2013, 12:09 PM

1,999 posts, read 2,473,429 times
Quote:
Of course..the issue becomes WHEN can a child make that decision on their own? I've met 13 year old kids that have their heads wrapped around string theory already. I've met 12 year olds that can manage their funds better than their parents. I have met 10 year olds that can diagnose problems and apply solutions.

You actually CAN prepare children to be adults at much younger ages but we simply value childhood too much as a social norm. There is no "threshold" for when a person becomes mature enough to make a decision. Many are simply way advanced for whatever reason.

The fact is...instead of rethinking all of our norms..we'd rather cherry pick the ones we want to keep and address everything else as genetic or behavioral flaws. Psychology and pseudoscience is a great tool...it allows those who adhere to the dogma to get away with double standards.

And I can't believe you actually advocated eugenics to fix ANY issue.
Tried to rep this but it wouldn't let me.

This is the best post I've read since returning to this thread.

Old 07-26-2013, 12:23 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
Just more liberal/progressive renaming for greater acceptability among the population.

Every time anyone has talked about the slippery slope and how "normalizing" homosexuality and same sex marriage will lead to other demands from others for similar "normalizing" of their perverted desires and actions in society, it's been called "crazy...of course it won't lead to that..." And here we see further efforts on a "reputable" scale to do just that.

Explain please how NAMBLA is not a homosexually oriented bunch. How can we discuss NAMBLA apart from that?
I found this great quote that I've been using lately for all our "failed" flops at fixing society.
Just watch..rapists will be the next group seeking tolerance and normalization.

“What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.”

Lord Melbourne

Old 07-26-2013, 12:36 PM

8,091 posts, read 5,914,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Why would this put homosexuals in a tough spot? There is no relation between homosexuality and pedophilia.

I agree with you that skepticism is appropriate when it comes to these kinds of issues. On the one hand, we have people who are attracted to children and we don't want them to act on that attraction. Rather, we want them to seek psychiatric counseling and support to prevent them from ever acting on the attraction. But trying to re-define pedophilia in the psychiatric community to remove stigma may not be the best strategy to dealing with this problem.
There is a relation!

The problem comes from context or definition. Are we claiming pedophilia is innate? Well, these quacks are. On the flipside of that token homosexuality is as innate as well. Why does this matter? Well, because if pedophilia needs to be rehabilitated...you are sending the message that it is behavioral not innate.

Secondly, you are telling pedophiles that they are being held to social norms and that they cannot act on their impulses. Which is the same dynamic that much of society wants to hold homosexuals to. Yet we can't do that...

So the only thing that is separating these groups is the thin line of ONE social norm...the fact that society values a childs welfare more than an adults, supposedly, inherent orientation. And if that is going to be a norm we hold onto with a death grip....start to expect more children to make a push for autonomy once they can put 1+1 together.

Sure it's hyperbolic...but nobody thought THIS (normalizing pedophilia) was ever going to be an issue...I only pondered the thought as plausible but I have to say I am surprised to see it poking it's head out right now.

Last edited by Hot_Handz; 07-26-2013 at 12:46 PM..

Old 07-26-2013, 12:41 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,259,947 times
First, I want to say homosexual activity between consenting adults is a far different game than stuff such as pedophilia and bestiality. Please don't think by saying what I am about to say that I am in any way anti-gay. I fully support gay marriage.

However, I do see a correlation in how homosexuality went from taboo 30 years ago to normalized today. Pedophilia can and will be normalized and Christianity will once again be the evil scapegoat for why its looked down on in society. It will be brought up how relations between adults and children were normal in the ancient world. If psychologists are already jumping on that bandwagon, our politically correct society soon will. Anybody who continues to oppose pedophilia will be dehumanized the way people who oppose gay marriage are today. Once again not saying the issues themselves are related but the tactics to get them normalized will be similar.

Old 07-26-2013, 12:47 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times
Quote:

Sure it's hyperbolic...but nobody thought THIS (normalizing pedophilia) was ever going to be an issue...I only pondered the thought as plausible but I have to say I am surprised to see it poking out right now.
Oh it was brought up and dismissed as totally not even remotely connected.
I'm not surprised to see it coming up but I am surprised by how quick it happened.

Now I'll go out on a limb..the rapists will be next.

Old 07-26-2013, 12:47 PM

1,999 posts, read 2,473,429 times
Quote:
Maybe you're misunderstanding my point and I'll give you the benefit of the doubt in that regard.

#1. A female child of 13 may be sexually mature biologically to bear a child. So was the way in colonial times when girls married VERY YOUNG and had children because life expectancy was so low and people married very young. Modern society is different.
People lived to be a 100 years old back then. The problem is mathematical "averages" and the typical person thinks "averages" means "normal person."

Ages: 11, 20, 80 = an average age of: 37

Ages: 2, 20, 80 = an average age of: 34

Ages: 1, 40, 90 = an average age of: 43.7

Colonial time had a lot of deaths of infants and children which pulled their averages down.

And even if people married younger for the reason you gave how does that in anyways make it harmful for a 20 year old today to sleep with a 13 year old?

It's harmful in part due to the concept of "innocence." Like Adam and Eve in the Garden before the fall, that story of innocence. It may or may not be potentially harmful physically, but I'm not very knowledgeable about the developmental stages and maturation of the female vagina. My understanding--perhaps I'm wrong--is that the typical female vagina does not fully mature until about ages 17 or 18.

But anally sodomizing a person can be considered physically harmful too.

Quote:
#2. The children you're speaking of who are mentally mature enough to understand "string theory" etc. are not old enough to maintain a family - aside from "sport sex" - the natural product of sexual behavior is procreation. I haven't known too many 13 year olds who are mentally mature enough to navigate the rigors of holding a job in corporate america or any job at all considering the office & social politics and wits it takes to hold down a full time job to support themselves, sustain a family or behave in an adult manner to relate to adults in society. They're more interested in the fun of pre-teen life. Why tie them down to the mental and physical responsibilities of having adult life? With age comes wisdom, adults should not choose children as sexual partners because they're not emotionally or socially developed enough to accept or deal with adult responsibility.
We need to bear in mind a lot--as in millions--of children even younger than ages 13 work (are not in school or do both) menial jobs in the developing world. The United States in the 1800s used to employ American children in factories working in horrendous conditions (some died of work related diseases before they hit age 20) for 16 and more hours a day.

Quote:
#3. Any adult who advocates for having a sexual relationship with a child is not emotionally mature enough to have an interpersonal relationship with someone of their age group. Otherwise why make a child the object of their sexual desire if not for control. Pick on someone more your age.

Childhood should be valued. Innocence should be valued. Somehow that fact is lost on you.
Jerry Sandusky was a married man. The founder of the Legionaries of Christ order impregnated at least 2 women and at least one of them he carried on a part time "family life" with telling her he worked for the CIA. He had children by these women. And he still would have 12 year old seminary boys he picked, masturbate him.

Just as an a female FBI agent pointed out on a TV show I watched once, that most women and men think most male serial killers are totally without women, is false. Most of them have wives or girlfriends. So too we need to get rid of this ridiculous notion every man (or woman) attracted to young children has no adult relationship in their life.

But I don't think I or Hot Handz necessarily disagree with you that childhood should be valued and that their innocence is a precious thing none of us should be in a rush to see a child lose.

But you might agree with me that there are many small ways in which we increasingly lose our innocence? Parents that send their boys dressed as girls to school do that. Usually they are dressed more akin to street hookers than tomboys.

Old 07-26-2013, 12:49 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,899,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I found this great quote that I've been using lately for all our "failed" flops at fixing society.
Just watch..rapists will be the next group seeking tolerance and normalization.
Those attracted to unwilling partners.

Old 07-26-2013, 12:53 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,894,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Oh it was brought up and dismissed as totally not even remotely connected.
I'm not surprised to see it coming up but I am surprised by how quick it happened.

Now I'll go out on a limb..the rapists will be next.
The group is called B4U ACT. What do you think that means?

They aren't trying to normalize pedophile behavior. They are trying to get people into therapy B4 people abuse a child.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies