Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2013, 01:37 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,613,721 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supine View Post
Well... I just want to make clear I think the portion of the Vagina Monologues about the 13 or 16 year old girl with the 24 year old woman is akin to male pederasty and not pedophilia. Unless the 13 year old is flat chested and looks like an 8 year old in development.

I don't want women sleeping with 16 year old girls thrown in prison. But I don't want to hear the moral hypocrisy about some 24 year old guy sleeping with a 16 year old boy or girl as "rape" and "evil" if the kid was seduced into sex.

Seduction is typically how adults get other adults into bed. Or how teenagers get other teenagers into bed.
13? I'd say that's pedophilia. 16? Definitely not pedophilia.

Eve Ensler is, or was, a member of a pedophile organization for women. She thinks that all male-female sex is rape, regardless of age, like her heroine Andrea Dworkin.

Old 07-26-2013, 01:47 PM

1,999 posts, read 2,473,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Christianity has made it illegal?

Read the news much?

It certainly hasn't drawn much negative reaction from the Catholic Church.

The age of marriage in the Church, the minimum age, is 16 for boys I believe and 14 for girls. All sex is supposed be had only within marriage. Pedophilia itself is regarded as sinful within the Church.

The Church response to priests accused of pedophilia is akin to George Zimmerman accused of murder. That is to say the Vatican demanded Bishops world wide ensure the due process of all accused priest per canon law.

Canon law is the legal system of the Church. And through all the hysteria it ensured more due process for the accused than the American legal system provided for those accused of being involved with terrorism.

One priest I personally know was in fact found not guilty is sexual abuse of a past minor in a U.S. secular court, but appears to have been found guilty in the Church court of the Catholic Church. Therefore, he is serving no prison time, and under U.S. law can not be tried twice for the same crime, but he has his photo placed up on the local Archdiocese website for priests that committed sexual abuse.

So, who had the more "negative reaction," the Catholic Church or the secular U.S. courts that found evidence insufficient to convict him?

On canon law: USATODAY.com - Bishops must balance civil, canon law in sex cases

Quote:
What is canon law?

The institutional Catholic Church, modeled on the hierarchical structure of the late Roman Empire, has been governed for centuries by its own rules for worship, dealings within the church and responsibilities for its evangelistic mission. Its purpose is to order the path to salvation, not to assess crime or mete out punishment, says Whitt.

Until merely 300 years ago, canon law was the primary authority in marriage, family and business life in the Western world, says Blakey. But even if 21st-century U.S. civil law is a micro-thin layer in history, the bishops must heed it as well as the law of the church. "If a parish priest looks to God for God's law, to the church for canon law and to the civil society for civil law, he may well have conflicting duties. We have an enormous cultural and legal gap between U.S. society and the church culture," says Blakey.

Old 07-26-2013, 01:56 PM

5,696 posts, read 6,210,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
It is a natural, biological behavior. Normal is a term we base off of society. Its why its normal in some countries to perform female circumcision. Its normal in our country to perform male circumcision. This is due to society. These aren't natural, but are something we cooked up.

We ban many things as a society that are natural human behavior, but are unacceptable in our society.

70% of women I believe, have had a rape encounter, and most are with a family member before age 18.

That's natural human behavior, rape period is, but it isn't normal and we as a society have decided they should be illegal.

are you trying to say having sex with a child is normal??
good grief
they should be castrated and be done with it
I would be happy to do so
no problem
with a very dull knife

Old 07-26-2013, 02:03 PM

50,825 posts, read 36,527,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimuelojones View Post
What horrible camera action. bad enought he is filming his tv.
I know, it was the best one i could find. Many had messages that they were taken down for violating copyright, so maybe South Park or Comedy Central is strict about that.

Old 07-26-2013, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cometclear View Post
You people have strayed far away from the original topic. The topic was pedophilia and abnormality. Pedophilia is attraction to children. Okay, how do we define who is a "child?" Below the age of 18 currently, correct? Do you think it is "abnormal" for adult heterosexual men to be attracted, or, more precisely, being capable of being attracted to 17 year-old girls? In my opinion, a healthy majority of heterosexual males in the United States are capable of being attracted to 17 year-old girls. Those would be "children," correct? Are all those men "pedophiles?" If they are, would it not be logical to call those pedophiles "normal?"
Really, pedophilia is more precisely and attraction to prepubescent children.

prepubescent - definition of prepubescent by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.

Quote:
pre·pu·bes·cent (prpy-bsnt)adj. Of, relating to, or characteristic of prepuberty.

n. A prepubescent child
Attraction to a 17 year old girl might be considered ephebophilia. I don't know these terms, I always have to google them. I just prefer the term pederast, however, the problem with that is it is limited to men with teenage boys, not girls.

But given some 14 and 17 year old girls today are as--or more--physically developed than some 20 year old women I'm not sure the exact age of the person matters as much as their physical development.

The age just matters from a simple legal perspective meant to protect children.

But I would agree with you... its normal for adult men of all ages to occasionally find themselves sexually attracted to a very good looking and "well built" 17 year old girl. It's just being human.

Hebephilia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
Hebephilia is one of several types of chronophilia (sexual preference for a specific physiological appearance related to age), in this case a primary or exclusive sexual interest in pubescent individuals approximately 11–14 years old – approximate because age of onset of puberty varies. Hebephilia differs from ephebophilia, which refers to the sexual preference for individuals in later adolescence,[1][2]
Quote:
Ephebophilia is the primary or exclusive adult sexual interest in mid-to-late adolescents, generally ages 15 to 19.[1][2]

Old 07-26-2013, 02:17 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,415,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Oh it was brought up and dismissed as totally not even remotely connected.
I'm not surprised to see it coming up but I am surprised by how quick it happened.

Now I'll go out on a limb..the rapists will be next.

It is dismissed because it is NOT connected.

The argument against gays was: "We can't allow it, because if we do, then the pedophiles will want rights, the polygamists, the zoophiles..."

That is slippery slope. Why slippery slope fails as an argument is because if your only reason for not allowing behavior X is that you're afraid that someday someone will want to get you to accept/normalize/legalize behavior Y....... then your problem is not with X, it's with Y.

In such a case, allow X and save your fight for when Y comes along. It should take someone about 10 seconds to come up with some very good reasons for continuing to be against the normalization of pedophilia (which is being used wrongly on this thread and confused with pederasty, etc.).

It's why we allow alcohol and tobacco, but not heroin and oxycontin to be legal and bought in stores. Despite the fact that it's very apt to say, "if we allow any mind altering substances to be legal, we HAVE to let it all be legal, right?"

Old 07-26-2013, 02:25 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,763,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
It is dismissed because it is NOT connected.

The argument against gays was: "We can't allow it, because if we do, then the pedophiles will want rights, the polygamists, the zoophiles..."

That is slippery slope. Why slippery slope fails as an argument is because if your only reason for not allowing behavior X is that you're afraid that someday someone will want to get you to accept/normalize/legalize behavior Y....... then your problem is not with X, it's with Y.

In such a case, allow X and save your fight for when Y comes along. It should take someone about 10 seconds to come up with some very good reasons for continuing to be against the normalization of pedophilia (which is being used wrongly on this thread and confused with pederasty, etc.).

It's why we allow alcohol and tobacco, but not heroin and oxycontin to be legal and bought in stores. Despite the fact that it's very apt to say, "if we allow any mind altering substances to be legal, we HAVE to let it all be legal, right?"
Things are universally connected. There is no independent X and Y.

Old 07-26-2013, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Do you think that they should keep on hiding, and not seeking help?

I see it more like an AA type of thing. They are getting the support, and being held responsible by their peers, so they tend to stay on track. If you are to ashamed to seek help, and support, you are more likely to act inappropriately.
Though I like Hot_Handz posts in this thread (he has done a great job), I agree with you on this point of reducing or eliminating the shame and fear. At least to the point where people like this are too ashamed and/or afraid to seek help to arrest their own attractions to children that would get them in trouble and cause a child some emotional harm.

I think one step in that process is to end this stereotype and notion that every kid patted on the butt by an adult is going to suffer from PTSD for the rest of their life.

Imagine being a young Amerindian child on the plains in a teepee late at night with your parents a few feet away, hearing them have sexual intercourse. That would freak me the h__ll out!

But for Amerindian kids raised in that environment as normal, it is less psychologically traumatizing I guess. Kind of like seeing women and girls walk around topless and even with much of their butts exposed. It would shock the sensibilities of most of us reared in cultures were both girls and women were expected to have their breasts and butt completely covered in the presence of young boys if not grown men.

If you think homosexuality is horrendously wrong, if anyone found out you blew a guy those around you would freak out, you might feel like commingling suicide. You might suffer from fear and depression. And I think similar results if you're a kid and know society's reaction (hysteria) if they find out you've been masturbating a grown man. That including your own moral formation that has your conscience telling you it is gravely wrong and perverted.

Old 07-26-2013, 02:42 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,894,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
Really? Is this what the world is coming to? Pedophiles are the lowest form of life on Earth and should be treated as such.
For every pedophile that actually abuses a child, there are several people who are attracted to children but who never touch a child. B4U ACT is trying to stop people from abusing children. By getting people who are attracted to children into therapy programs. Do you think stopping people from molesting children is a good thing? If so, then you should support B4U ACT.

Old 07-26-2013, 02:47 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,217,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
But if it is no longer a "crime" to have those activities with children, more people will try it.
It is not a crime to be ATTRACTED to children. It is a crime to molest children.
No one is pushing to make it legal to have sex with children.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies