Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2013, 12:04 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,391,265 times

Advertisements

^^^ Your first 2 lines are especially vile. I hope they aren't actually your views.

Old 07-28-2013, 06:40 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,702,384 times
In the Lord's words as recorded in Luke 17:2

It would be better for him if a millstone were hung around his neck, and he were thrown into the sea, than that he should offend one of these little ones.

Old 07-28-2013, 10:47 AM

14,917 posts, read 13,107,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
^^^ Your first 2 lines are especially vile. I hope they aren't actually your views.
I didn't take them as the poster's views, they seem to me to be definitions (or at least illustrative of definitions).

Old 07-28-2013, 01:10 PM

1,922 posts, read 2,779,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
And yet the biggest pedophile organization on the planet is the Roman Catholic Church.
Talk about a wild accusation.

From Wikipedia: The Catholic Church, also known as the Roman Catholic Church, is the world's largest Christian church, with 1.2 billion members. It is among the oldest institutions in the world and has played a prominent role in the history of Western civilisation. The Catholic hierarchy is led by the Pope and includes cardinals, patriarchs and diocesan bishops. The Church teaches that it is the one true church divinely founded by Jesus Christ, that its bishops are the successors of Christ's apostles and that the Pope is the sole successor to Saint Peter who has apostolic primacy.

I see nothing in there describing the Catholic Church as a pedophile organization. Major fail.

Old 07-28-2013, 01:41 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,486,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
And yet the biggest pedophile organization on the planet is the Roman Catholic Church.
I'm an atheist, but that's a foolish statement.

Yes, so was the post you were answering, but idiocy does not need to be combatted with more idiocy.

Old 07-28-2013, 02:04 PM

9,127 posts, read 7,947,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean-a-thin View Post
Pedophilia - "if they're on all fours they're already in the right position!"

Hebephilia - "Old enough to bleed, old enough to breed"

ephebophilia - "Sweet! She's 18!"

I think pedophilia is wrong, I see it as a disorder. That being said, I don't think all pedophiles should be castrated, burned at the stake, then shot in the face (in that order) like so many people do. I think there are a large number of pedos who would never act on their attraction and are good people.

Hebephilia - attraction to like 10-16 year-olds, I still think is messed up be seems to be slowly gaining acceptance once again. "Guys it's natural, okay?" Think Lolita here, lines are starting to be blurred. It was thought of as pretty acceptable back in the ancient times with the young marriages of girls (still around in some cultures today) and pederasty with young boys.

Whos quote exactly is that? Yours? The argument to de-stigmatize pedophilla isn't bolstered by claiming sexual attraction to older children is natural.

Old 07-28-2013, 03:05 PM

Hebephilia and ephebophilia are silly terms for non-conditions. They are not recognized by any psychiatric authority. They are cop-out terms for those who don't want to be forced to explain to a hostile public that attraction to adolescents is a normal facet of heterosexuality or homosexuality.

Old 07-30-2013, 04:14 PM

16,603 posts, read 8,622,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cometclear View Post
Much truth in the post. Sadly, it will go unrecognized.

There are other things that are being completely misunderstood. In addition to the fact that most pedophiles do not molest children, there is a whole spectrum upon which pedophiles fall. Some have very strong fixations, some have weaker fixations. The idea that pedophiles cannot be "cured," in other words, redirected from their fixations, is also false.
I don't know where you are coming up with this, but I remember reading about recidivism rates among released child molesters, and it was an astoundingly high percentage. If that was not enough, several physiologists who were reviewing the data commented that it was one area therapy had little effect. One went so far as to suggest that voluntary chemical castration was probably the best solution, and several of his "patients" had chosen that route. There was also a criminal pathologist who said that as high as the percentages were, he didn't doubt "it would be even higher, almost 100% if they were able to catch every repeat offender".
There was also shows like the very liberal 60 minutes that more or less came to a similar conclusion after interviewing professionals who cared for incarcerate pedophiles.

I am all for rehab of people who make one mistake or can be salvaged since it can benefit society to turn around a life that would otherwise just be a drain on the rest of us(i.e. cost of prison, drug dependency, crime, etc.). However these predators who prey upon our most valuable and vulnerable need to be either put down, or put away, never be allowed to again see the light of day.

`

Old 07-31-2013, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
I don't know where you are coming up with this, but I remember reading about recidivism rates among released child molesters, and it was an astoundingly high percentage. If that was not enough, several physiologists who were reviewing the data commented that it was one area therapy had little effect. One went so far as to suggest that voluntary chemical castration was probably the best solution, and several of his "patients" had chosen that route. There was also a criminal pathologist who said that as high as the percentages were, he didn't doubt "it would be even higher, almost 100% if they were able to catch every repeat offender".
I've read all of that and heard all of that, probably in the same places you have, but that doesn't make it true. There is no penalty to be paid in this country for disseminating false information, which is why 20% (or something) of Americans believe President Obama is a Muslim. Stupid people repeating stupid things they heard from other stupid people. The actual statistics do not bear this claim out.

Quote:
There was also shows like the very liberal 60 minutes that more or less came to a similar conclusion after interviewing professionals who cared for incarcerate pedophiles.
Liberals are no strangers to uninformed panic mongering. 60 Minutes was a bit of a pioneer in it, in fact.

Old 07-31-2013, 01:49 PM

16,603 posts, read 8,622,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
I've read all of that and heard all of that, probably in the same places you have, but that doesn't make it true. There is no penalty to be paid in this country for disseminating false information, which is why 20% (or something) of Americans believe President Obama is a Muslim. Stupid people repeating stupid things they heard from other stupid people. The actual statistics do not bear this claim out.
So if the stats we both read are skewed in some fashion, what stats are we to go by? Furthermore if all stats can be skewed(which intelligent people know they can) then how can any source ever be trusted. To extrapolate further, if we have no reliable sources, how can we ever make informed decisions or come to intelligent conclusions with so much mistrust and cynicism?

Not to get into the Obama/Muslim issue, but lets face a few undisputed facts as to why some people believe he is;
He was born of a Muslim father, and his mother had a history of being subjected by and attracted to at least a couple of them. He was raised for part of his life as a Muslim, and even wrote of it in his book. He has been pictured in Muslim attire. He studied abroad in a Muslim country where it was required one renounce their citizenship in another country to be a student there where most everyone is Muslim. He quotes the Koran as fluently as he does the Christian Bible. Do these things make him a Muslim today? Of course not, as people can, and have changed their faith. But he is unlike any other POTUS in our history because of it. So you can certain see why some reasonable people would have their suspicions.

Now we do not know what is in the mans heart, so who knows what he truly believes. We do know of course that he and his handlers were pragmatic enough to know that claiming to be Muslim would have meant he never would have been elected POTUS. So people can certainly glean with a reasonable amount of probability that he would publicly deny being a Muslim for political gain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
Liberals are no strangers to uninformed panic mongering. 60 Minutes was a bit of a pioneer in it, in fact.
True, but lets face it, conservatives would be much more inclined to throw away the key or castrate them comparatively. So just because either political extreme might detest pedophiles, by their very nature, liberals would be more inclined to want to rehabilitate them even in the face of high recidivist rates.

`
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies