Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2013, 02:23 PM

6,084 posts, read 6,056,984 times

Advertisements

The Don may have his bend over buddies but I'll give credit where credit is due, he seems like a stand up guy.

Continue on this path of boosting the self-esteem of the dregs and losers of society who see work as a 4 letter word fellow Americans, while tagging cats like Don as traitors and other nonsense.

The parasite does not give a damn if it destroys the host and itself as long as it "feels good" in the now.

You git the gubmint you deserve.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2013, 02:25 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,108,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Bill O'Reilly and Don Lemon are absolutely correct. It seems the only people to not understand this are apathetic black people.
Since neither of you know anything about what goes on in the black community....

Old 10-09-2013, 02:47 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,849,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovert;31743053
The Don [B
may have his bend over buddies[/b] but I'll give credit where credit is due, he seems like a stand up guy.

That was very uncalled for.

Even though I do think Don was naïve in his comments, especially as they relate to fashion and "n" word use since those don't have any relationship with any sort of socio-economic issue facing "the black community," I do think he made some valid points. Since many people like to speak ill of "the blacks" and CNN is suffering in the ratings, of course it was a good move to lecture us "blacks."

FWIW, Don is now a contributor to a nationally syndicated black radio show that reaches over 10 million people daily so he has not become some sort of black outcast and black people don't outright hate him or even ridicule him for his homosexuality like kovert chose to do above.

But through me listening to his commentaries, I feel that he is not in the caliber of journalist that Tavis Smiley is in particular. Maybe because he hasn't found his "voice" really. I also know that when he came out he did comment about how black Americans aren't as accepting of homosexuality in regards to black men, and he is right in that respect IMO, but I feel he may have some sort of deep seated animosity toward the whole of black America due to the backlash that he may have received from black people over his homosexuality. Even so, he is no James Baldwin and I don't think that he has yet to really consider a lot of historically contributions that have made black America have all the layers that so many of us here love to discuss. I think he will get there though and I do think he is intelligent, but I just have a feeling that he is still being defensive and that it may have to do with him not being comfortable being a gay black man.

And FWIW, I am not religious and have no negative associations of him because of his sexuality. James Baldwin is one of my literary beloveds and I consider him to be a "kick ass" sort of figure in black history, someone who spoke it how it is and the truth and even back in his era, people didn't really focus as much on his sexuality due to his "realness" and his gift at communicating and expressing the underlying reasons for certain situations and experiences in regards to race in America. Don will never be like Baldwin, but he can study his life to see that there is no reason to have any sort of defensive streak when it comes to being a black gay man, it is what it is and he should be more comfortable being himself and use his power as a journalist not just to lecture but to delve deeper into those he seeks to lecture.

Last edited by residinghere2007; 10-09-2013 at 03:00 PM..

Old 10-09-2013, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
That was very uncalled for.

FWIW, Don is now a contributor to a nationally syndicated black radio show that reaches over 10 million people daily so he has not become some sort of black outcast and black people don't outright hate him or even ridicule him for his homosexuality like kovert chose to do above.

Kovert can speak for himself and Kovert has never shown any hate toward Don Lemon in any posts.

What the Don does in his personal life is his own business.

Old 10-09-2013, 04:23 PM

1,300 posts, read 964,240 times
Lemon is correct on every point. And its about time more black figures stood up and took blackness back from the idiots who think they own it.

With that said, I wish he had cited Bill Cosbys criticisms and not Bill O'Reillys. O'Reilly purpose is not to enlighten but to bash and propogandize for political purposes. But that is the only thing I have a problem with regarding Lemons opinion on this.

Old 10-09-2013, 04:29 PM

2,860 posts, read 3,393,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovert View Post

the don may have his bend over buddies but i'll give credit where credit is due, he seems like a stand up guy.
llllllllllol. :d

Old 10-09-2013, 04:42 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,414,870 times
I actually find what he says very interesting. He, Obama, Condoleezza Rice, Natasha Curry, Bill Cosby, and Colin Powell should have a frank discussion about issues with black poverty, education, incarceration, and how reform should start. Invite Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton.

I am sure it will all end with a consensus that it is all due to slavery, oppression and discrimination.

Old 10-09-2013, 05:05 PM

73,128 posts, read 62,780,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArchitect View Post
Lemon is correct on every point. And its about time more black figures stood up and took blackness back from the idiots who think they own it.

With that said, I wish he had cited Bill Cosbys criticisms and not Bill O'Reillys. O'Reilly purpose is not to enlighten but to bash and propogandize for political purposes. But that is the only thing I have a problem with regarding Lemons opinion on this.
That is part of what I'm saying. Bill Cosby actually cares about Black people. When I heard what he said, I could tell where he was coming from. He wasn't speaking on behalf of some right-wing political network. He was speaking independently, not at Black people, but TO Black people. Bill Cosby actually puts his money where his mouth is. He isn't speaking from some office at FOX News. He's going to the crowds,actually talking to them. He's the one donating money to HBCUs. Frustrated at some of the things that have taken place? Of course. However, I can also tell there is a sense of concern.

With Bill O'Reilly, the only thing I see from him is a spiteful attitude. He isn't saying any of thing because he wants people to do better. He is saying what will please his constituency. He's speaking on behalf of FOX News and its listeners. In a sense, I think Bill O'Reilly is merely talking down to Black people. How do you expect people to change if you talk down to them? Only thing that will come out of that is anger.

I think Don Lemon should have been working with Bill Cosby. In my opinion, I think Lemon was just trying to, well, "suck up" to Bill O'Reilly.

Old 10-09-2013, 05:14 PM

73,128 posts, read 62,780,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
That is funny considering he is also gay. (puppet = hand up his butt) sorry but I could not resist it
No pun intended(at least on my end). And another irony is this. From what I hear about FOX News, I don't think the network was that open towards gay people, until now.

Old 10-10-2013, 01:01 PM

Russ might not agree on everything with the Don, but he seems to respect the Don.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies