Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2013, 08:51 AM

20,462 posts, read 12,392,439 times

Advertisements

Yea! lets dont have a real conversation about important issues! Lets just talk past each other and do nothing!

Yea Chris Hayes! Good job doing nothing to solve real issues!

idiot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2013, 08:51 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,949,504 times
I laughed at the part where Cory said "I have many white friends" sounds like a lot of white right-wingers on here

Old 08-01-2013, 08:54 AM

331 posts, read 254,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
Nahhh. Ya think?

Ask yourself, what is the point of the satire?

I think it's my point that went over your head.

I'll just break it down so you can't wiggle out of it. The point of the satire is that it is somehow unfair or unreasonable to judge issues related to specific segments of the population. This of course is an attempt to point out right wing hypocrisy, with the implication that this will either enrage right wingers or be viewed as "different".

I say that's horse crap, and if you see a problem with white people, call it out rather than sit here and act as if you're too high and mighty to do such things. I don't care for PC nonsense no matter who is on the receiving end, nor will most of my fellow right wing cross burning nutjobs.

So yeah, if white people are rioting at disproportionate levels, drop the "we can't comment on racial matters" orthodoxy and say it (although proof would be nice). Very few of us will pull the types of diversionary tactics the left will.
What are you talking about? What does posting a video that highlights ring wing hypocrisy have to do with possible issues with white people? Unless you're assuming that you have to be white to be conservative?

And as to the other point you made about "high and mighty," I find that cute. The video "call it out" for me, in a much more articulate matter.

Old 08-01-2013, 08:57 AM

6,137 posts, read 4,864,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suffolk2010 View Post
What are you talking about? What does posting a video that highlights ring wing hypocrisy have to do with possible issues with white people? Unless you're assuming that you have to be white to be conservative?
Yeah, instead of having two discussions, you'd rather point your finger and say "yeah, well you're stupid, you hypocrite" and have zero discussions.

That is absolutely brilliant. Think how much progress we can make from this. Hell, let's just not talk about anything that could possibly bother anyone

Inability to discuss issues due to what really is for all intents and purposes orthodoxy has always benefited humanity, amirite?

You identified hypocrisy, your work is done, now go home and maybe some adults who have the balls to have a discussion can participate.

By the way, I didn't accuse anyone of having problems with white people, work on your comprehension.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suffolk2010 View Post
And as to the other point you made about "high and mighty," I find that cute. The video "call it out" for me, in a much more articulate matter.
The video called out a point that would entertain a child, someone who is interested in a tit for tat and nothing more.

So hey, I guess that makes sense.

Old 08-01-2013, 08:59 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,591,255 times
The "Hey, look over there" approach.

Old 08-01-2013, 09:00 AM

4,520 posts, read 4,211,612 times
Quote:
Yeah, instead of having two discussions, you'd rather point your finger and say "yeah, well you're stupid, you hypocrite" and have zero discussions.

That is absolutely brilliant. Think how much progress we can make from this. Hell, let's just not talk about anything that could possibly bother anyone

Inability to discuss issues due to what really is for all intents and purposes orthodoxy has always benefited humanity, amirite?

The video called out a point that would entertain a child, someone who is interested in a tit for tat and nothing more.

So hey, I guess that makes sense.
The video highlights how insane it is to task a particular race with "fixing" the problems of their people. It pokes fun at O'Reilly who seems to think black people are all connected in a way where we have the power to influence each other's actions and thoughts. If you are going to ask black people to fix their community, it's fair game to ask white people to fix theirs.

Old 08-01-2013, 09:01 AM

The video also highlights the extreme problem of white-on-white violence. I thought that was a great point, since so many on C-D seem concerned with the high rate of black-on-black violence. I'm actually quite shocked more people aren't concerned about whites killing each other at such alarming rates.

Old 08-01-2013, 09:08 AM

6,137 posts, read 4,864,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocLot View Post
The video also highlights the extreme problem of white-on-white violence. I thought that was a great point, since so many on C-D seem concerned with the high rate of black-on-black violence. I'm actually quite shocked more people aren't concerned about whites killing each other at such alarming rates.
The rates at which whites kill each other is substantially lower than blacks.

If you want to address something that is disproportionately high among whites as opposed to other races, try meth use or something.

Or, you can choose a subset of whites with high homicide rates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocLot View Post
The video highlights how insane it is to task a particular race with "fixing" the problems of their people. It pokes fun at O'Reilly who seems to think black people are all connected in a way where we have the power to influence each other's actions and thoughts. If you are going to ask black people to fix their community, it's fair game to ask white people to fix theirs.
I say it's fair game to point out the issues in both white and black American culture, not try to shut down any discussion of either by portraying the notion as something so ridiculous as to be an obvious joke.

Also, there is a difference between asking black/white people as a whole to "fix" something and identifying disproportionate issues. You act as if the entire point of any type of cultural/racial evaluation is to put all of the members of such in the same boat and tell them they need to "fix" things. Which is ridiculous.

Like I said, if you want to unload on "white" culture - feel free. It'd be refreshing to hear. I for one have plenty of issues with black, white, and American culture in general.

Or hey, we can just shoot back and forth at each other and try to shut each other up. That's fine too. Got to root for the "team" and all, ya know?

Edit - And let me add one thing. Were it not for the army of apologists and excuse manufacturers summoned up every time the subject comes up, I'd have little to say. It's the dishonesty and willful blindness that gets me.

Last edited by rw47; 08-01-2013 at 09:21 AM..

Old 08-01-2013, 09:12 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,135,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
Yea! lets dont have a real conversation about important issues! Lets just talk past each other and do nothing!

Yea Chris Hayes! Good job doing nothing to solve real issues!

idiot.
You must be talking about yourself!

It's his job to bring awareness. That's his role. Everybody has different roles.

Are you protesting? Running for office? Drafting new policy??

Old 08-01-2013, 09:20 AM

Quote:
The rates at which whites kill each other is substantially lower than blacks.

If you want to address something that is disproportionately high among whites as opposed to other races, try meth use or something.

Or, you can choose a subset of whites with high homicide rates.
Doesn't matter if the rate is higher. It's there and I think 84% is pretty damn high and deserves a response from the white community. Or is there only concern when same race violence is of black people? Can I assume white people value the lives of blacks more (since the concern is so one-sided)?

Quote:
I say it's fair game to point out the issues in both white and black American culture, not try to shut down any discussion of either by portraying the notion as something so ridiculous as to be an obvious joke.

Also, there is a difference between asking black/white people as a whole to "fix" something and identifying disproportionate issues. You act as if the entire point of any type of cultural/racial evaluation is to put all of the members of such in the same boat and tell them they need to "fix" things. Which is ridiculous.

Like I said, if you want to unload on "white" culture - feel free. It'd be refreshing to hear. I for one have plenty of issues with black, white, and American culture in general.

Or hey, we can just shoot back and forth at each other and try to shut each other up. That's fine too. Got to root for the "team" and all, ya know?
I'm not seeing what's so ridiculous about the piece. Yes, it was presented in a light-hearted way, but the presentation consisted of FACTS. So, you can either focus on the light-hearted nature of the presentation (and dismiss it) or you can focus on the troubling news revealed in the piece. The bottom line (IMO), is that people are individuals, regardless of color. Tasking a race of people to "fix" their problems solves nothing and is a discredit to the millions of successful African Americans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies