Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2013, 10:44 PM

4,242 posts, read 8,777,238 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
She's a bit young for drinking - 13 years too young, actually - but I highly doubt that PBR will be her drink of choice when she reaches 21. Thanks for taking a pot shot at my 8 year old, though. I guess the stereotype I'll be teaching her about is that people on internet forums are jackasses.
Weird, I thought you said you had a sense of humor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2013, 06:31 AM

11,142 posts, read 10,714,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlenextyear View Post
Weird, I thought you said you had a sense of humor.
I do. However, taking potshots at an 8 year old isn't covered under humor.

Old 08-09-2013, 09:28 AM

4,242 posts, read 8,777,238 times
Quote:
I do. However, taking potshots at an 8 year old isn't covered under humor.
If your daughter really thinks that the shirt is ironically maling fun of a stereotype (its not), I'm just saying she's priming herself for the hipster lifestyle. I don't think I'm out of line in that one. You, however, are teaching her that being bad at math is cool. Thankfully, she's way beyond you there, seeing ironic meanings in a very unironic phrase. I have hope for her, but not for you.

I think I now understand the conservative humor paradigm:

Reinforcing negative stereotypes about girls' math abilities= funny

Making fun of hipsters' poor choice in beer=not funny

I'm a little surprised as I really thought that derision of hipsters could be the one thing to bring conservatives and liberals together. Oh well.

Old 08-09-2013, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlenextyear View Post
If your daughter really thinks that the shirt is ironically maling fun of a stereotype (its not), I'm just saying she's priming herself for the hipster lifestyle. I don't think I'm out of line in that one. You, however, are teaching her that being bad at math is cool. Thankfully, she's way beyond you there, seeing ironic meanings in a very unironic phrase. I have hope for her, but not for you.

I think I now understand the conservative humor paradigm:

Reinforcing negative stereotypes about girls' math abilities= funny

Making fun of hipsters' poor choice in beer=not funny

I'm a little surprised as I really thought that derision of hipsters could be the one thing to bring conservatives and liberals together. Oh well.
You make a lot of assumptions about me. Let's start with the glaring one: I'm not a conservative. While I believe in fiscal sanity - which is something that is apparently beyond comprehension for most liberals - and leaving our constitutionally protected rights alone, I'm also a firm supporter of same sex marriage, drug legalization, and a moderate safety net - all of which tend to put conservatives over the edge.

Frankly, your view of the shirt and mine differ. That doesn't really bother me. I do see that shirt as an ironic statement, and yes, I have probably had a large influence on how my daughter thinks. Apparently you missed the part earlier in the conversation where I said that my daughter is top of her class in math, and that is largely because we encourage her natural talent in that area.

Making fun of a hipster's choice of beer is funny. Poking fun at stereotypes is funny. Taking potshots at an eight year old because she doesn't agree with you is not.

Old 08-09-2013, 11:24 AM

4,176 posts, read 4,671,879 times
There is no way in hell that shirt is intended as irony. It's pushing an ugly stereotype. It was being sold and marketed to children in a children's store. The shirt's intended audience does not possess the level of critical thinking required to ferret out a stereotype, much less see any irony where there is none. They would take its meaning literally, which was the intention. And that is why it was removed.

It would be a different story if the shirt were being sold at Hot Topic and/or marketed to older people.

Old 08-09-2013, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Globe199 View Post
There is no way in hell that shirt is intended as irony. It's pushing an ugly stereotype. It was being sold and marketed to children in a children's store. The shirt's intended audience does not possess the level of critical thinking required to ferret out a stereotype, much less see any irony where there is none. They would take its meaning literally, which was the intention. And that is why it was removed.

It would be a different story if the shirt were being sold at Hot Topic and/or marketed to older people.
You have an extremely negative opinion of children's intelligence. Wrong, but still negative.

Old 08-09-2013, 11:39 AM

4,176 posts, read 4,671,879 times
Quote:
You have an extremely negative opinion of children's intelligence. Wrong, but still negative.
Then you have absolutely no experience with children if you think they possess the skills to analyze the flaw with that shirt. If you do have experience, then I guess your kids win as the smartest kids in the entire universe. Congratulations.

Old 08-09-2013, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Then you have absolutely no experience with children if you think they possess the skills to analyze the flaw with that shirt. If you do have experience, then I guess your kids win as the smartest kids in the entire universe. Congratulations.
Haven't been reading the thread, eh? I have 3 kids of my own. No, the 6 year old wouldn't see the humor in that shirt, but the 8 year old caught it immediately. Quite frankly, my 13 year old son would probably be mad that he didn't think of it - then again, he's actually more sarcastic than I am. Aside from my own kids, I have assorted nieces and nephews, and I'm also the "goofy" dad in our neighborhood that goes out and plays kick ball with all the kids, fixes the bicycles, and throws catch. I'm around kids more than I am around adults, most days, and if you don't think that the average 8-10 year old is capable of comprehending sarcasm and irony then you're the one lacking experience.

Old 08-09-2013, 05:04 PM

1,203 posts, read 1,242,784 times
Quote:
Fallacious statement. Argumentum ad absurdium.

Old 08-09-2013, 06:42 PM

11,346 posts, read 16,711,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
There was no need for that kind of shirt. It plays too much on the ditzy female. It could be a fun shirt. But yes its stating the girl whom wears it stinks at math. Its not a boy shirt is it? So it is towards females. Poor taste IMHO.
Maybe poor taste, but it's still a freakin t-shirt.

People need to have thicker skin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies