Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2013, 07:21 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,710,498 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
Psychology: The last bastion of those who don't want to deal with reality. Also known as the 'medical' discipline that invented such wonderful excuses for doping your kids as ADD and ADHD.

Sorry, but the idea that a t-shirt making a joke about not being able to do math is going to have a permanent effect on someone's ability to excel in the subject falls into the same category as the idea that putting a boy in a pink shirt is going to make him gay. Both are nothing but fertilizer.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2013, 07:40 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,222,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlenextyear View Post
Apples to oranges. A pink shirt without print on it implies nothing about the wearer's sexuality. Cutting a girl's hair too short is not the same as pasting a giant billboard on her chest with the words "Look, I'm a lesbian" on it. This shirt has the obvious message that the girl wearing it is good at shopping but not at math. What kind of parent would buy that for their child?

Ask your daughter instead: "What would you say if your parents bought you a shirt that said that you were not good at math?"
Are you really arguing that girls are so weak and manipulative that they would allow a t-shirt to control their lives?

Old 08-08-2013, 07:44 AM

1,203 posts, read 1,242,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Are you really arguing that girls are so weak and manipulative that they would allow a t-shirt to control their lives?
That's exactly what Liberals are saying, indeed. They're saying that girls and women are too stupid to discern the difference between reality and a silly t-shirt. Sorta like how Liberals imply that AAs are so stupid that without Affirmative Action, they'd never be able to get a job.

Old 08-08-2013, 07:56 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times
Quote:
I don't know of any elementary aged girls that do their own shopping. As for who I design these shirts for, I put together designs that I like and sell t-shirts with those designs on them. If a parent (you know, the people who actually buy the clothes for elementary aged girls) wants to purchase one of my designs for their daughter, I'm not about to deny them the option.

Overall, it's a bad business decision. I'd be willing to place odds on there being a larger number of people who found the design amusing than the vocal minority who feel that it is "sexist."
You've never been shopping with an elementary school girl, then. They can get quite insistent!

That T-shirt sucks!

Old 08-08-2013, 09:28 AM

11,142 posts, read 10,714,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
You've never been shopping with an elementary school girl, then. They can get quite insistent!

That T-shirt sucks!
Pffft! I've got 2 girls in elementary school and since I work from home I'm the one that does the majority of their shopping with them. They can be as insistent as they want, but if I don't think they should have something they don't get it. Period.

It's really simple, if you are the parent you control what the child wears. If you can't put your foot down on that simple matter, and feel that an elementary aged girl is too insistent for you to be able to say no, then you shouldn't be a parent.

Old 08-08-2013, 09:39 AM

3,027 posts, read 2,521,502 times
Quote:
Fine, take my dispute with psychology out of the equation. Still doesn't change the fact that people are claiming a t-shirt will make or break a girl's ability to achieve high scores in math. Let's take this idea and change it around a little. We'll see how much sense it makes in a different context.

Would either of you agree that the following are true?

Dressing a boy in pink will make him gay.

Cutting a girl's hair too short will make her a lesbian.

If you don't agree with the above sentences, there is absolutely no reason to believe that this t-shirt would cause a girl to be unable to excel at math.

On a side note, I asked my 8-year-old the following question today: What would you say if someone told you that girls can't do math?

She answered: I'd say they don't know what they are talking about, because I'm awesome at math.
maybe if only gay men wore pink or only lesbian women wore short hair cuts, but that is not the case.

Old 08-08-2013, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Californian34 View Post
maybe if only gay men wore pink or only lesbian women wore short hair cuts, but that is not the case.
Ahhh, but both are stereotypes that have been around for decades. Why are those stereotypes less important than the girls and math stereotype? All three are false, yet you only seem to have a problem with the one depicted on the shirt. Why is that?

Old 08-08-2013, 10:04 AM

3,027 posts, read 2,521,502 times
Quote:
Ahhh, but both are stereotypes that have been around for decades. Why are those stereotypes less important than the girls and math stereotype? All three are false, yet you only seem to have a problem with the one depicted on the shirt. Why is that?
they are not stereotypes, especially women with short hair cuts. I could list several high profile heterosexual women who were known for wearing short hairstyles and are not accused of being lesbians.

Old 08-08-2013, 10:21 AM

Quote:
they are not stereotypes, especially women with short hair cuts. I could list several high profile heterosexual women who were known for wearing short hairstyles and are not accused of being lesbians.
No kidding? Heterosexual women wear short hair? Who'd a thunk it? That was my point, genius.

Stereotypes are beliefs held by a large number of people that may or may not be true. For years, people thought that short hair on a woman meant she was "manly" and therefore had to be a lesbian. For years, men wouldn't allow their sons to wear pink because it might make them seem "feminine" and therefore encourage them to be gay.

Short hair doesn't make a woman a lesbian, pink doesn't make a boy gay, and wearing a shirt that jokes about being bad at math doesn't make a girl bad at math.

Old 08-08-2013, 10:25 AM

4,214 posts, read 3,762,896 times
Quote:
Lesbians drive Subarus is a stereotype. If a female is driving a Subaru does she get accused of being a Lesbian...no. You missed your marker on that one, lol.

Again, JimRom is right on target.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies