Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2013, 06:52 PM

11,142 posts, read 10,714,981 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlenextyear View Post
Davies, P. G.; S. J. Spencer; D. M. Quinn; and R. Gerhardstein. "Consuming Images: How Television Commercials that Elicit Stereotype Threat Can Restrain Women Academically and Professionally." Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin (2002).

Keller, Johannes, and Dirk Dauenheimer. "Stereotype threat in the classroom: Dejection mediates the disrupting threat effect on women’s math performance." Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin 29.3 (2003): 371-381.

Muzzatti, Barbara, and Franca Agnoli. "Gender and mathematics: attitudes and stereotype threat susceptibility in Italian children." Developmental Psychology 43.3 (2007): 747.

Pronin, E.; C. M. Steele; and L. Ross. "Identity Bifurcation in Response to Stereotype Threat: Women and Mathematics." Journal of Experimental Social Psychology (2003)

Quinn, Diane M., and Steven J. Spencer. "The interference of stereotype threat with women's generation of mathematical problem‐solving strategies." Journal of Social Issues 57.1 (2001): 55-71.

Spencer, S. J.; C. M. Steele; and D. M. Quinn. "Stereotype Threat and Women's Math Performance." Journal of Experimental Social Psychology (1999).

Steele, C. M. "A Threat in the Air: How Stereotypes Shape Intellectual Identity and Performance." American Psychologist (1997).
Quote:
Cvencek, Dario, Andrew N. Meltzoff, and Anthony G. Greenwald. "Math–gender stereotypes in elementary school children." Child development 82.3 (2011): 766-779.

Eccles, Jacquelynne S., Janis E. Jacobs, and Rena D. Harold. "Gender role stereotypes, expectancy effects, and parents' socialization of gender differences." Journal of Social Issues 46.2 (1990): 183-201.

Good, Catherine, Joshua Aronson, and Jayne Ann Harder. "Problems in the pipeline: Stereotype threat and women's achievement in high-level math courses." Journal of Applied Developmental Psychology 29.1 (2008): 17-28.

Jacobs, Janis E. "Influence of gender stereotypes on parent and child mathematics attitudes." Journal of Educational Psychology 83.4 (1991): 518.

Nosek, Brian A., et al. "National differences in gender–science stereotypes predict national sex differences in science and math achievement." Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences 106.26 (2009): 10593-10597.

Skaalvik, Einar M., and Richard J. Rankin. "Gender differences in mathematics and verbal achievement,self perception and motivation." British Journal of Educational Psychology 64.3 (1994): 419-428.

Tiedemann, Joachim. "Parents' gender stereotypes and teachers' beliefs as predictors of children's concept of their mathematical ability in elementary school." Journal of Educational Psychology 92.1 (2000): 144.
Psychology: The last bastion of those who don't want to deal with reality. Also known as the 'medical' discipline that invented such wonderful excuses for doping your kids as ADD and ADHD.

Sorry, but the idea that a t-shirt making a joke about not being able to do math is going to have a permanent effect on someone's ability to excel in the subject falls into the same category as the idea that putting a boy in a pink shirt is going to make him gay. Both are nothing but fertilizer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2013, 07:00 PM

3,027 posts, read 2,521,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
Psychology: The last bastion of those who don't want to deal with reality. Also known as the 'medical' discipline that invented such wonderful excuses for doping your kids as ADD and ADHD.

Sorry, but the idea that a t-shirt making a joke about not being able to do math is going to have a permanent effect on someone's ability to excel in the subject falls into the same category as the idea that putting a boy in a pink shirt is going to make him gay. Both are nothing but fertilizer.
when you start disputing the validity of a scientific discipline that has been studied for centuries, you've probably lost your argument.

Old 08-07-2013, 07:29 PM

4,242 posts, read 8,777,238 times
Quote:
Also known as the 'medical' discipline that invented such wonderful excuses for doping your kids as ADD and ADHD.
That's psychiatry.

Old 08-07-2013, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Californian34 View Post
when you start disputing the validity of a scientific discipline that has been studied for centuries, you've probably lost your argument.
Quote:
That's psychiatry.
Fine, take my dispute with psychology out of the equation. Still doesn't change the fact that people are claiming a t-shirt will make or break a girl's ability to achieve high scores in math. Let's take this idea and change it around a little. We'll see how much sense it makes in a different context.

Would either of you agree that the following are true?

Dressing a boy in pink will make him gay.

Cutting a girl's hair too short will make her a lesbian.

If you don't agree with the above sentences, there is absolutely no reason to believe that this t-shirt would cause a girl to be unable to excel at math.

On a side note, I asked my 8-year-old the following question today: What would you say if someone told you that girls can't do math?

She answered: I'd say they don't know what they are talking about, because I'm awesome at math.

Old 08-07-2013, 08:47 PM

4,242 posts, read 8,777,238 times
Quote:
Fine, take my dispute with psychology out of the equation. Still doesn't change the fact that people are claiming a t-shirt will make or break a girl's ability to achieve high scores in math. Let's take this idea and change it around a little. We'll see how much sense it makes in a different context.

Would either of you agree that the following are true?

Dressing a boy in pink will make him gay.

Cutting a girl's hair too short will make her a lesbian.

If you don't agree with the above sentences, there is absolutely no reason to believe that this t-shirt would cause a girl to be unable to excel at math.

On a side note, I asked my 8-year-old the following question today: What would you say if someone told you that girls can't do math?

She answered: I'd say they don't know what they are talking about, because I'm awesome at math.
Apples to oranges. A pink shirt without print on it implies nothing about the wearer's sexuality. Cutting a girl's hair too short is not the same as pasting a giant billboard on her chest with the words "Look, I'm a lesbian" on it. This shirt has the obvious message that the girl wearing it is good at shopping but not at math. What kind of parent would buy that for their child?

Ask your daughter instead: "What would you say if your parents bought you a shirt that said that you were not good at math?"

Old 08-08-2013, 04:49 AM

4,214 posts, read 3,762,896 times
This shirt does not imply the wearer is not good at math. It is no different, as I put in a previous post, the 80's song by Cyndi Lauper "Girls just wanna have fun". Was that song sexist? It should be if this shirt is because thats implying that all girls want to do is have fun and nothing else.

JimRom nailed it on the head.

So if I wore the tshirt form Happy Gilmore "Guns dont kill people, I kill people" does that make me a murderer? How about a boys tshirt that said "cars, fishing, music, and cooking" on it with box in front of knitting left unchecked? Does that imply that boys are no good at cooking?

Those of you that look this much into a kids tshirt should really find something else to do with your time. An offenseive tshirt I could see pulling off the shelves but this??? cmon. In fact, Im gonna have my wife run out today and see if there are any left so we can get one for my daughter to wear.

Old 08-08-2013, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Apples to oranges. A pink shirt without print on it implies nothing about the wearer's sexuality. Cutting a girl's hair too short is not the same as pasting a giant billboard on her chest with the words "Look, I'm a lesbian" on it. This shirt has the obvious message that the girl wearing it is good at shopping but not at math. What kind of parent would buy that for their child?

Ask your daughter instead: "What would you say if your parents bought you a shirt that said that you were not good at math?"
I showed it to her. She thought it was funny and asked if she could get one.

Old 08-08-2013, 07:10 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,710,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Californian34 View Post
as far as the shirt, I'm on the fence. If it just listed the other things and not math, it might be cute, but the fact that they listed math and then left it unchecked is disturbing. To be honest though, had I seen it in the store I'd probably just roll my eyes and not give it a second thought.

That's how I feel.

Pulling this shirt and others of its ilk simply reinforces the idea that kids have to be protected from parents too dim to know better or too weak to say "no" when their kids ask for something that is in poor taste.

Oh, well.

Old 08-08-2013, 07:11 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,710,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Draper View Post
Parents who buy those shirts are either tacky or ignorant.

So?

They need to be saved from themselves, is that it?

Old 08-08-2013, 07:18 AM

1,203 posts, read 1,242,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
So?

They need to be saved from themselves, is that it?
That's what it's been whittled down to; parent are just tacky. Lol!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies