Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2013, 10:27 AM

4,176 posts, read 4,671,879 times

Advertisements

Hair and clothing style stereotypes aren't the same thing as academic skills stereotypes. Impressionable children could very well be led to believe that girls aren't good at math because of what they see and hear in media. I have no idea what the shirt designer was going for if not the perpetuation of a lame stereotype.

It's especially ridiculous and antiquated when you consider that women are becoming a larger percent of the workforce every day, and that there are more female scientists and engineers than ever before. Those women aren't bad at math, and they may be insulted by this shirt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2013, 10:28 AM

11,142 posts, read 10,714,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Globe199 View Post
Hair and clothing style stereotypes aren't the same thing as academic skills stereotypes. Impressionable children could very well be led to believe that girls aren't good at math because of what they see and hear in media. I have no idea what the shirt designer was going for if not the perpetuation of a lame stereotype.

It's especially ridiculous and antiquated when you consider that women are becoming a larger percent of the workforce every day, and that there are more female scientists and engineers than ever before. Those women aren't bad at math, and they may be insulted by this shirt.
So the store shouldn't sell the shirt because it might insult someone? That almost makes as much sense as the idea that a shirt could make someone bad at math.

Old 08-08-2013, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
So the store shouldn't sell the shirt because it might insult someone? That almost makes as much sense as the idea that a shirt could make someone bad at math.
I didn't say that. I said women might be insulted. I made no mention of what I believe the store should do.

I also did not say that the shirt "could make someone bad at math." If a school girl is struggling with math, and she sees something in the media that perpetuates this stereotype, she might think, "I'm bad at math because I'm a girl."

You should go back and read my post again. You got everything wrong. Maybe I should make a shirt that says "most people on city-data have extremely poor reading skills."

Old 08-08-2013, 10:39 AM

11,142 posts, read 10,714,981 times
Quote:
I didn't say that. I said women might be insulted. I made no mention of what I believe the store should do.

I also did not say that the shirt "could make someone bad at math." If a school girl is struggling with math, and she sees something in the media that perpetuates this stereotype, she might think, "I'm bad at math because I'm a girl."

You should go back and read my post again. You got everything wrong. Maybe I should make a shirt that says "most people on city-data have extremely poor reading skills."
Perhaps I did misread. Although I would wear that shirt

Here's my problem with your point: If your daughter is impressionable enough that a t-shirt makes her give up on math, you've already screwed up far more than by purchasing a tacky t-shirt for her.

Old 08-08-2013, 10:41 AM

I think you've forgotten or don't care how impressionable children are.

Old 08-08-2013, 10:45 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,222,338 times
Quote:
Another argument for girls being so weak and manipulative that they would allow a t-shirt rule their lives?

Quote:
People get insulted by all sorts of things.

Old 08-08-2013, 12:58 PM

3,027 posts, read 2,521,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangman66 View Post
Lesbians drive Subarus is a stereotype. If a female is driving a Subaru does she get accused of being a Lesbian...no. You missed your marker on that one, lol.

Again, JimRom is right on target.
no he isn't. it's not the same thing because a short woman's hair cut or a pink shirt on a man is not a shirt suggesting girls are bad at math.

Old 08-08-2013, 01:01 PM

3,027 posts, read 2,521,502 times
Quote:
No kidding? Heterosexual women wear short hair? Who'd a thunk it? That was my point, genius.

Stereotypes are beliefs held by a large number of people that may or may not be true. For years, people thought that short hair on a woman meant she was "manly" and therefore had to be a lesbian. For years, men wouldn't allow their sons to wear pink because it might make them seem "feminine" and therefore encourage them to be gay.

Short hair doesn't make a woman a lesbian, pink doesn't make a boy gay, and wearing a shirt that jokes about being bad at math doesn't make a girl bad at math.
it's not the same thing. this is a shirt with the specific idea that girls are bad at math. the other two are about perception. there is not interpretation needed as to what is implied with this shirt, unlike a short hair cut or a pink shirt.

Old 08-08-2013, 01:12 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times
Quote:
Pffft! I've got 2 girls in elementary school and since I work from home I'm the one that does the majority of their shopping with them. They can be as insistent as they want, but if I don't think they should have something they don't get it. Period.

It's really simple, if you are the parent you control what the child wears. If you can't put your foot down on that simple matter, and feel that an elementary aged girl is too insistent for you to be able to say no, then you shouldn't be a parent.
Guess you told me!

Old 08-08-2013, 01:19 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,017,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlenextyear View Post
That's psychiatry.
Which is not based on science.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies