Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2013, 07:32 AM

8,391 posts, read 6,300,068 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Draper View Post
Hispanics and Asians, as are young people, the most integrated according to the study

I'm not really surprised.

Many Americans have no friends of another race: poll | Reuters
First off this poll is fairly irrelevant. I didn't look at the poll, but is the term friend defined in the poll question?

The problem is that different people can have vastly different understanding of what constitutes a friend.

It is very possible that two people can generally have similar relationships with people, but a different understanding of those relationships.

One person could count people as acquaintances, co-workers, hang out buddies, drinking buddies, but not friends.

Another person can have those same relationships, and in their mind they consider those people friends.

So it is possible that older people, or southerns have a different understanding generally speaking as to what constitutes a friend in their eyes.

Again, this critique is prefaced on the fact that I am assuming that the poll question didn't define what a friend is so that everyone was not answering the question based on the same criteria, if that isn't the case, then I stand corrected, but still hold that the poll is meaningless.

Old 08-12-2013, 07:33 AM

16,545 posts, read 13,459,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Are you blind?
Yeah because it's ALL about physical appearances. Isn't that something a real racist would say?

Old 08-12-2013, 07:33 AM

2,305 posts, read 3,029,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Draper View Post
Hispanics and Asians, as are young people, the most integrated according to the study

I'm not really surprised.

Many Americans have no friends of another race: poll | Reuters
Does it really matter?

Thankfully my white family does not look at a persons skin color or race to decide if they want to associate with them. We have people of different color and race married into our family and everything is just fine.

But then we were raised not to be a racist. The funny thing is there are no Democrats in our family.

Last edited by thebigr; 08-12-2013 at 07:47 AM..

Old 08-12-2013, 07:44 AM

9,884 posts, read 10,981,966 times
Another poll that was a total waste of time and money!
In many areas of this country, it proves nothing.
Around here, there are few people of other races. Those which are here have entirely different interests than I do, and therefore move in totally different social circles than I do. I rarely meet them, and when I do it is in a professional (that is, they are doing their job; doctor, nurse, etc.) setting rather than a social one.
So, it is somehow my fault that I don't have friends of other races?
Bushwah!

Old 08-12-2013, 08:15 AM

62,976 posts, read 29,170,163 times
It is not unsual nor is it racist to feel more comfortable around those you can relate to culturally. It isn't about skin color or race but culture. Older Americans are set in their ways and all future generations of seniors will be no different. It is what they grew up with and how their generation views things. I don't feel it should be criticized. It is what it is. It's like trying to convince them they should like "rap" when there is no way in hell they can relate to that kind of music. Southerners can't relate as well to Easteners as they do with those who live in the south and vice versa, etc. etc. Making a big deal out of nothing here and trying to imply racism just doesn't cut it.

Old 08-12-2013, 10:10 AM

9,884 posts, read 10,981,966 times
"rap" is music?

Old 08-12-2013, 10:20 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,194,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
It is not unsual nor is it racist to feel more comfortable around those you can relate to culturally. It isn't about skin color or race but culture.
Culture? Oh please.

What do friends do? They eat together, go to a ball game together, talk about their families and jobs. Pretty sure every culture does those things.

As a Boomer I have friends of all races. I'm blessed to be in a circle of friends that has been together for decades. We are really, really tight and have been through a heck of a lot together, good times and bad. That's what friends do. Culture? You have to be the same culture to celebrate a wedding or the birth of a child or go to lunch together? None of us got that memo. Must have been lost in the '70's.

Last edited by DewDropInn; 08-12-2013 at 10:32 AM..

Old 08-12-2013, 10:22 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,500,035 times
I'll chime in as a foreigner on this one:

As Canadians with "some" friends of many different races and cultural backgounds, we found it strange after retirement to be travelling RV snowbirds throughout the American southwest to not find a representative sampling of "other" races OR cultures similarily enjoying that passtime.

Now that we are no longer actively RV'ing but ensconced in a retirement community in Florida, it remains strange to us not to see the various races and cultures similarily, per-capita, represented.

Asking confreres of American origin reveals a plethora of answers that do not explain the lack of desire, as I'm sure there are those who can afford to do whatever they would wish to.

Old 08-12-2013, 10:29 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,427,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrestigiousReputability View Post
Here in the NYC area, hispanics generally seem to be more in line with Blacks: especially Puerto Ricans.

If you go through areas like the Bronx, Manhattan or on the subway; you will see them chillin out with each other like nothing. I come from a diverse suburban high school and when blacks and hispanics would befriend each other, I would really think nothing of it since it was expected. But when whites and blacks would befriend each other, it would stand out to me.

Most black and hispanics share the same communities in the NYC metro area. While most white neighborhoods stay 85%+ white with a tiny minority of Asians. Just some observations..
I lived in the Bronx for 7 years. Tell a Dominican they're Black and see what happens.

Old 08-12-2013, 10:31 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,427,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme305 View Post
Going by that logic, people in Asian countries (where everybody is of the same race) must not see any "sense in waking up in the morning".
Lol the diversity cultists are clueless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies