Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2013, 11:09 AM

12,770 posts, read 11,568,492 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
Your link to Canadian and American monitoring radiation levels you sourced from CBC is from 2011 and it said:

Canadian and U.S. authorities have both cut back radiation reporting after detecting only minuscule increases following the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear crisis, despite ongoing clean-up efforts in Japan.
"The quantities of radiation reaching Canada are very small and do not pose any health risk to Canadians," said a statement posted by Health Canada online.

"We have seen very slight increases in radiation across the country, smaller than the normal day-to-day fluctuations," said the website

This was when the containment vessel blew due to hydrogen build-up and the spent fuel rod storage cooling tanks were not having any water pumped in and the levels were dropping and they were trying to prevent the fuel rods from being exposed.
Yes, it's from 2011 because the Canadian authorites stopped reporting after that. You can take their word for no risk to health, but I wouldn't trust them to tell you the truth.

Old 08-16-2013, 12:40 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,326,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
Yes, it's from 2011 because the Canadian authorites stopped reporting after that. You can take their word for no risk to health, but I wouldn't trust them to tell you the truth.
Well I live in Vancouver and live right in the path of the airborne Radiation and the debris field that is floating across and ending up on the shores of the PNW and Alaska.

So Far I do not have Cancer and have not died of Radiation and I eat the Fish and Seafood and am fine.

Plus Canada is a major exporter of natural uranium fuel bundles for nuclear power plants that are made for Non-proliferation and we export these Fuel rods called Canflex and we burn up American and Russian weapons grade plutonium in a MOX mix in our Reactors here in Canada also.

Uranium mining is the process of extraction of uranium ore from the ground. The worldwide production of uranium in 2009 amounted to 50,572 tonnes.

Kazakhstan, Canada, and Australia are the top three producers and together account for 63% of world uranium production.

Other important uranium producing countries in excess of 1000 tonnes per year are Namibia, Russia, Niger, Uzbekistan, and the United States

Old 08-16-2013, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
Well I live in Vancouver and live right in the path of the airborne Radiation and the debris field that is floating across and ending up on the shores of the PNW and Alaska.

So Far I do not have Cancer and have not died of Radiation and I eat the Fish and Seafood and am fine.

Plus Canada is a major exporter of natural uranium fuel bundles for nuclear power plants that are made for Non-proliferation and we export these Fuel rods called Canflex and we burn up American and Russian weapons grade plutonium in a MOX mix in our Reactors here in Canada also.

Uranium mining is the process of extraction of uranium ore from the ground. The worldwide production of uranium in 2009 amounted to 50,572 tonnes.

Kazakhstan, Canada, and Australia are the top three producers and together account for 63% of world uranium production.

Other important uranium producing countries in excess of 1000 tonnes per year are Namibia, Russia, Niger, Uzbekistan, and the United States
I wouldn't be proud of that, if I were you.

Syria, Iraq and Depleted Uranium | Global Research

Old 08-16-2013, 02:26 PM

2,137 posts, read 1,903,379 times
Quote:
What part of less than the daily fluctuation do you not understand? Says the guy who thinks nothing of wearing sunscreen, when 6000 per million are diagnosed with skin cancer every year.

Old 08-16-2013, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFi View Post
What part of less than the daily fluctuation do you not understand? Says the guy who thinks nothing of wearing sunscreen, when 6000 per million are diagnosed with skin cancer every year.
What are you talking about? What does sunscreen have to do with anything? By the way, I don't wear it. Be informed, then you decide.
http://naturalsociety.com/sunscreen-causes-cancer-what-you-may-not-know-about-sunscreen/

You have to figure out who deserves your trust.

Old 08-16-2013, 05:01 PM

Quote:
What are you talking about? What does sunscreen have to do with anything? By the way, I don't wear it. Be informed, then you decide.
http://naturalsociety.com/sunscreen-causes-cancer-what-you-may-not-know-about-sunscreen/

What kind of question is that? I'm talking about solar radiation causing skill cancer. Science shows that, science does not show that sunscreen causes cancer... You really are living in your own world aren't you?

We are receiving 2000 sieverts per year from solar and cosmic radiation, numbers which dwarf these minuscule sieverts you are talking about. Every time you walk out into the direct sun you are getting a blast of radiation that you could have prevented if you wore sunscreen. Every time you take a high altitude flight you are getting a huge blast of cosmic radiation. Choosing to live in one state over another can more than double your yearly radiation dose due to sunshine and altitude. 2 million Americans per year getting skin cancer is a large number, yet what are you concerned about....the politics of nuclear power, and minuscule numbers which are simply noise compared to the real sources of radiation we are exposed to (and you ignore).

Old 08-16-2013, 05:10 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,509,263 times
Quote:
What kind of question is that? I'm talking about solar radiation causing skill cancer. Science shows that, science does not show that sunscreen causes cancer... You really are living in your own world aren't you?

We are receiving 2000 sieverts per year from solar and cosmic radiation, numbers which dwarf these minuscule sieverts you are talking about. Every time you walk out into the direct sun you are getting a blast of radiation that you could have prevented if you wore sunscreen. Every time you take a high altitude flight you are getting a huge blast of cosmic radiation. Choosing to live in one state over another can more than double your yearly radiation dose due to sunshine and altitude. 2 million Americans per year getting skin cancer is a large number, yet what are you concerned about....the politics of nuclear power, and minuscule numbers which are simply noise compared to the real sources of radiation we are exposed to (and you ignore).
Today's sunscreens are more potent and are now being questioned because it's all absorbed into your skin.

Best start reading up on current research. Now they do say that it could also be that people who slather on SPF 8000 (joking here) get a false sense of protection and spend a lot more time in the sun than those that don't wear the high SPF.

I still wear Coppertone SPF 8 but I have to buy it online cause I can't find it in any store.
I don't stay out in the sun for long periods either and not during the height of the afternoon.

Old 08-16-2013, 05:10 PM

Quote:

In case it wasn't completely clear, I'm saying you are hypocritical for raising concern over minuscule amounts of radiation and then casually deciding to "not wear sunscreen" when faced with radiation magnitudes of times greater.

Old 08-16-2013, 05:13 PM

Quote:

Not true, I am very aware that we are bombarded with radiation from numerous sources. That does not mitigate the damage being caused by Fukushima, which is the topic. There is a massive coverup, while they try to figure out a solution. We are now 2 years down the road, with no progress.
If you choose to believe there's no problem, that's your choice. I am not trying to convince you of anything. I think awareness is good, not everybody does.

Old 08-18-2013, 08:40 AM

6,795 posts, read 7,290,858 times
Quote:
In case it wasn't completely clear, I'm saying you are hypocritical for raising concern over minuscule amounts of radiation and then casually deciding to "not wear sunscreen" when faced with radiation magnitudes of times greater.
You are trying to confuse the issue with false claims of the amount of radiation being a small amount when it is several thousands times what would be considered safe levels. 40% of the children in the surrounding area are developing thyroid problems and the entire coastline is unsafe to fish. Add to that the 300 tons of radioactive water going into the pacific every day and there is more than a little reason to be concerned.

In addition there is the minor issues of 400 tons worth of spent fuel rods stored in a pool at the plant’s damaged Reactor No. 4. And the melted cores inground which if they reach water could explode.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...tG6P9eW3uWhwuw
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies