Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2013, 08:24 AM

78,432 posts, read 60,628,324 times

Advertisements

So, I did some googling....

Inforwars title "High levels of radioactive cesium"....typical scare tactics....

Scientists to eaters: Don't freak out over Fukushima fish - Los Angeles Times

Quote:
The team reported that a 7-ounce, restaurant-size serving of Pacific bluefin tuna contaminated with cesium at the level recorded in fish caught off the coast of San Diego in August 2011 delivered a 7.7 nanosievert dose of radiation -- about 5% of the dose one would get from eating a garden-variety banana
Now the article does state that levels would be higher closer to Japan and in bottom dwellers so that's something to be alert to and more study will be needed.

However, I'm hearing stuff like "poison the whole pacific ocean" and "millions of times acceptable level" and clearly those are some wild claims that aren't helping anybody.

Further study is going to be needed, clearly the Japanese will bear the brunt of the problem, the risk to the US at this time is virtually non-existant.

Old 08-15-2013, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFi View Post
what spf sunblock are you wearing today dude? Do you fly? What elevation and latitude do you live at?
You could search the forum back to the months after fukushima and see some of the truly wild scare tactics being propagated by websites like infowars talking about radiation particles drifting in the air to the US and so forth. Bumping some of those would be informative to the people that got suckered by AJ's claims. I especially liked how he started making claims about a US meltdown up around Nebraska just because there was a tiny no-fly zone put up due to flooding. We had people falling all over themselves in fear of that one too.

Old 08-15-2013, 09:21 AM

6,795 posts, read 7,290,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
So, I did some googling....

Inforwars title "High levels of radioactive cesium"....typical scare tactics....

Scientists to eaters: Don't freak out over Fukushima fish - Los Angeles Times

Now the article does state that levels would be higher closer to Japan and in bottom dwellers so that's something to be alert to and more study will be needed.

However, I'm hearing stuff like "poison the whole pacific ocean" and "millions of times acceptable level" and clearly those are some wild claims that aren't helping anybody.

Further study is going to be needed, clearly the Japanese will bear the brunt of the problem, the risk to the US at this time is virtually non-existant.
The issue is that some forms of radiation that have been confirmed to be leaking are cumulative. That means they build up in the system over time like heavy metals. The problem is twofold in that some fish migrate and go to the waters off japan and then return to the waters off California, and we also have the problem of the radiation being carried by the ocean currents to other areas.
See this. Low-Level Doses of Radiation Can Cause Big Problems → Washingtons Blog
That means the levels will increase over time, and that the fact that there is no way to stop the leak makes the situation even worse. We already have limits on safe amounts of large fish like tuna due to heavy metal exposure, this is simply going to exasperate the situation and increase the risk of consuming seafood.

Old 08-15-2013, 09:44 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,509,263 times
We already have warnings against eating too much tuna due to mercury buildup.
And now we have this.

Old 08-15-2013, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
The issue is that some forms of radiation that have been confirmed to be leaking are cumulative. That means they build up in the system over time like heavy metals. The problem is twofold in that some fish migrate and go to the waters off japan and then return to the waters off California, and we also have the problem of the radiation being carried by the ocean currents to other areas.
See this. Low-Level Doses of Radiation Can Cause Big Problems → Washingtons Blog
That means the levels will increase over time, and that the fact that there is no way to stop the leak makes the situation even worse. We already have limits on safe amounts of large fish like tuna due to heavy metal exposure, this is simply going to exasperate the situation and increase the risk of consuming seafood.
I don't disagree, it would be important to know what level of concentration is in that sea water.

They are citing tritium and strontium but not cesium, I have no idea how trit & stront build up in food chains so that's an unknown to me.

If a lot of radioactive junk was released first, the additional amounts released now....if small enough may merely add a little to the total or even be a wash against the decay rate....or if it's a lot then there is a problem. Also depends how much diffusion across the pacific occurs, that's a whole lot of ocean.

Regardless, worst case for the US is a big blow to pacific fishing as at least they are testing the tuna etc. so that's avoidable for us.

For Japan, that gets some enormous amount of their calories from the ocean....they are in for a much tougher time of it.

Old 08-15-2013, 10:12 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,509,263 times
Quote:
I don't disagree, it would be important to know what level of concentration is in that sea water.

They are citing tritium and strontium but not cesium, I have no idea how trit & stront build up in food chains so that's an unknown to me.

If a lot of radioactive junk was released first, the additional amounts released now....if small enough may merely add a little to the total or even be a wash against the decay rate....or if it's a lot then there is a problem. Also depends how much diffusion across the pacific occurs, that's a whole lot of ocean.

Regardless, worst case for the US is a big blow to pacific fishing as at least they are testing the tuna etc. so that's avoidable for us.

For Japan, that gets some enormous amount of their calories from the ocean....they are in for a much tougher time of it.
The FDA has reported "detectable amounts" of cesium in Japanese exports that are coming into the US.
Must still be at safe levels though as the article says they only refused one shipment at port entry.

Old 08-15-2013, 10:50 AM

12,770 posts, read 11,568,492 times
I say that this plant was intentionally blown by Israel, who installed the security at this facility. This happened shortly after Japan agreed to sell Iran uranium. They are also pursuing nuclear energy.

Given that scenario, what do you think of this comment.

CO2 emissions from nuclear are extremely low. This presents a challenge for the Al Gore global warming lobby and the carbon tax. The government wants you to fear nuclear power so they justify limiting the number of nuke plants and collect the carbon taxes from the coal/oil/nat gas energy production.

also if you read the comments on this article, the death toll from nuclear energy is the lowest of all other energy forms available to us today.

What is safe energy?
Coal = 161 deaths/terawatt-hour
Oil = 36 deaths/terawatt-hour
biomass = 12 deaths/terawatt-hour
nat gas = 4 deaths/terawatt-hour
solar = 0.44 deaths/terawatt-hour
wind = 0.15 deaths/terawatt-hour
Hydro = 0.10 deaths/terawatt-hour
Nuclear = 0.04 deaths/terawatt-hour
» Dangerous Operation at Fukushima’s Reactor No. 4 Could Ignite “Atomic Chain Reaction” Alex Jones' Infowars: There's a war on for your mind!

If we are being led to believe nuclear energy is so inherently dangrous, shouldn't the same fears apply to our nuclear weapons? The majority of which are in U.S. and Israel.

Old 08-15-2013, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
The FDA has reported "detectable amounts" of cesium in Japanese exports that are coming into the US.
Must still be at safe levels though as the article says they only refused one shipment at port entry.
Glad they are checking that.

I reiterate that whatever issues we might have with it will be a tiny fraction of Japans woes.

If enough fishing grounds get contaminated badly enough it will ratchet up pressure between korean, japanese and chinese fishing disputes.

Old 08-15-2013, 11:06 AM

6,795 posts, read 7,290,858 times
Quote:

While figures are hard to come by, we do know the concentration is bad enough to ban fishing along the coastline near Fukushima. A rare look at the Fukushima Daiichi no-go zone - CBS News
As I understand it the contamination is at different levels depending on water depth and other factors. Much also sinks to the bottom where its impact on the food chain may not be realized for some time to come.

While we know there is between 300-600 tons of contaminated water being dumped into the ocean per day, we do not know the level of contamination of the water. Some reports are saying the core has now breached its containment and if that is true, the level could be very high. It would be better if the information was not being covered up, as it apparently has been for the past 2 years.

Old 08-15-2013, 11:40 AM

12,770 posts, read 11,568,492 times
RT: An estimated 300 tonnes of contaminated water is spilling daily into the ocean. How come Tepco insists the leaks still pose no big threat to the environment?

HW: They are lying; they can’t face the reality of this situation. When have very serious quantities of radiation going into the Pacific Ocean. There is no medical or epidemiological or scientific basis for estimating how much damage this will cost. We are on entirely new ground here and this cannot go by without a serious impact on the entire human race. This is a terrible tragedy. The problem is that the company does not want to admit how serious this is and the government of Japan doesn’t want to admit how serious this is. And even if the government of Japan steps in, they don’t know what to do. This particular administration in Japan wants to open the other nuclear plants. 50 nuclear plants have been shut in Japan since the accident and they want to reopen them.

RT: According to some estimates it will take 40 years to clean-up the contaminated area. Why so long?

HW: That is not long enough. It will never be cleaned up. We have materials there that are radioactive, that are harmful, and that are dangerous for hundreds of thousands of years. They can talk about cleaning it up in 40 years but it will never be cleaned up. You will never be able to go back on that site. The radioactivity will be in the waters forever.

RT: What long-term impact of the radiation leak on Japan and its neighboring countries we should expect in the future?

Water leaks at Fukushima could contaminate entire Pacific Ocean ? RT Op-Edge
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies