Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2013, 08:45 PM

12,498 posts, read 27,006,609 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Why? Because Spanish has special legal status in New Mexico since WWI, before any single one of us were born? Been 100 years, still don't see the country going to hell in a hand basket.
No, because English is not only the most widely spoken language in America, but the whole entire World.

Spanish only speakers in 1 out of the 49 other US states should not be given special privileges just because they don't want to assimilate to our culture & learn the predominant language.

I'm getting sick & tired of this bending over backwards to suit the needs of foreigners BS our country has turned to. It wouldn't happen in Mexico so why here?

Last edited by Metro Matt; 08-13-2013 at 09:38 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2013, 08:47 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,949,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackscorpion View Post
God, well I hope you woudn't treat her grandparents the way you rant and rave on here about hispanics. In fact, I know you probably wouldn't which says something. Anyways, I know you saw my post about teaching immigrants English, Oldglory(yes I even got your name right this time). So you up for it or what?

Actually I thought it was kinda cool that Spanish was spoken in New Mexico and French was spoken in Louisiana, but I get the feeling that you are probably right.
I speak Spanish to my Spanish speaking co-worker, who is also from Puerto Rico like me (yes, Oldglory, that means me and him are natural born citizens), I speak Spanish to my family. Are people going to flip **** for me doing that? Oh well, they can go pull their hair out for all I care. It's my 1st Amendment right to speak whatever language I want. I already speak English without a foreign accent, therefore, I have license to speak another language if I want to without it hindering my life here. Too bad for others who think being dumb and monolingual is a virtue

Old 08-13-2013, 08:50 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,062,846 times
ay caramba!

Old 08-13-2013, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
No, because English is not only the most widely spoken language in America, but the whole entire World.

Spanish only speakers in 1 out of the 50 other US states should not be given special privileges just because they don't want to assimilate to our culture & learn the predominant language.

I'm getting sick & tired of this bending over backwards to suit the needs of foreigners BS our country has turned to.
Yes, and? People are learning English, so what's the big deal? For every Spanish speaker that doesn't learn English, there's 1000 others who are. I hardly think we have to worry about one person out of a 1000.

Why not? This is New Mexico's state's rights to decide which language the government should support. New Mexico has included Spanish in their constitution for over 100 years.

What bending over backwards are you talking about? Seriously? Nobody has forced me to speak in Spanish, nobody has forced you. Maybe you should try to start living in the real world for once, instead of in the blogosphere. Problems tend to be very magnified on the Internet as opposed to real life

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
ay caramba!
Blasphemy!!!!!!!!!!! To the gallows for you!

Old 08-13-2013, 09:00 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,811,791 times
Actually you have to show proficiency in English only to be naturalized. If born here it is not a requirement. And for those older and here a while the English requirement can be waived.

There are a number of places such as Puerto Rico and many areas in Texas, AZ, CA NM where Spanish is the standard language. So there the trials might be in Spanish with English translators.

Old 08-13-2013, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
Actually you have to show proficiency in English only to be naturalized. If born here it is not a requirement. And for those older and here a while the English requirement can be waived.

There are a number of places such as Puerto Rico and many areas in Texas, AZ, CA NM where Spanish is the standard language. So there the trials might be in Spanish with English translators.
Difference is, in New Mexico and Puerto Rico, Spanish has legal status in the constitutions. If people in New Mexico have a problem with it, amend the Constitution. But, it doesn't matter anyway since language is protected in the 1st Amendment and the Civil Rights Act as one poster above me mentioned.

Old 08-13-2013, 09:06 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,377,888 times
Quote:
Difference is, in New Mexico and Puerto Rico, Spanish has legal status in the constitutions. If people in New Mexico have a problem with it, amend the Constitution. But, it doesn't matter anyway since language is protected in the 1st Amendment and the Civil Rights Act as one poster above me mentioned.
You just made two solid points that really put this thing to bed.

But this is C-D...Battle On!!!

Old 08-13-2013, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
You just made two solid points that really put this thing to bed.

But this is C-D...Battle On!!!

The ironic thing about these neo-Confederates, had the South won, Latin America would be part of the CSA if their plans to annex Mexico and Central America had ever come to fruition. What will our redneck brethren do, having more than half of your citizentry be Hispanic? Oh boy, the joys of knowing history

Old 08-13-2013, 09:44 PM

12,498 posts, read 27,006,609 times
Quote:
Yes, and? People are learning English, so what's the big deal? For every Spanish speaker that doesn't learn English, there's 1000 others who are. I hardly think we have to worry about one person out of a 1000.

Why not? This is New Mexico's state's rights to decide which language the government should support. New Mexico has included Spanish in their constitution for over 100 years.

What bending over backwards are you talking about? Seriously? Nobody has forced me to speak in Spanish, nobody has forced you. Maybe you should try to start living in the real world for once, instead of in the blogosphere. Problems tend to be very magnified on the Internet as opposed to real life

Blasphemy!!!!!!!!!!! To the gallows for you!
Press 1 for English 2 for Spanish. **** you I shouldn't have to press **** this is AMERICA got damn it!!!

Do you realize how much government waste goes into printing bi-lingual signs, pamphlets, & instructions?

We're bending over backwards for a country (Mexico) that cares nothing about learning to assimilate into America's & the World's society. In contrast, other 3rd World countries like the Phillipines teach English as a 2nd language their 1st day of grade school all the way till they graduate college. Mexico has no excuse.

Last edited by Metro Matt; 08-13-2013 at 09:52 PM..

Old 08-13-2013, 09:50 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,024,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
We're bending over backwards for a country that cares nothing about learning to assimilate into American society.
Why should a country learn to assimilate into American society when they are an independent nation?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies