Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Intelligent Design?
Yes, teach it along with Evolution 22 15.28%
No, teach only Evolution 121 84.03%
No, teach only Intelligent Design 1 0.69%
Voters: 144. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2013, 05:59 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,554,254 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
So do you believe in the myth of gravity and after all it is just a theory also

Sent from my Nexus 4
The latest theory on gravity is that it is leaking into our universe from another dimension. Interesting stuff.

FTR, the theory only has to do with how gravity works. Believing the theory is not necessary for gravity to work. It works whether you believe the current theory or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2013, 06:03 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,554,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Some people just don't get it that there is no evidence at all that God or any supernatural being created the earth, life on earth or human beings.

... .
That's why it's called faith.

The more I study science, the more I think there must be a God. I'll never prove the existence of God any more than you'll prove God doesn't exist. We both believe what we believe without proof so we both believe what we believe based on faith. We differ only in what we choose to put our faith in. You believe you are the product of random chance and your life is meaningless. I believe that you and I getting to the point of having this conversation is by design (think of all the impossible, fantastic things that all had to happen in order for you and I to get to this point in time and have this conversation.).

We both have faith. You have faith there is no God and I have faith there is. We're not that different.

Last edited by Ivorytickler; 08-23-2013 at 06:16 PM..

Old 08-23-2013, 06:05 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,229,680 times
No I believe that we should teach the 4 big ones. Math, English, History and Science.
Intelligent design? Is it Science or history? Well if it is Science one would think that it could be proven.
If it is history then one would think that there would be some form of physical evidence. For example the Pyramids.
A book written long after the players lived based on stories passed down by word of mouth? I really need to question the veracity of that document.
If it is an elective course like say Greek mythology? Shop class or art? Sure why not, if the population of the school district supports it.

Old 08-23-2013, 06:24 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,928,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
The latest theory on gravity is that it is leaking into our universe from another dimension. Interesting stuff.

FTR, the theory only has to do with how gravity works. Believing the theory is not necessary for gravity to work. It works whether you believe the current theory or not.
Actually, no, there's not another theory on gravity. There might be another hypothesis, however is not being tested nor replicated . That is part of the scientific process.

You knew that, didn't you?

Sent from my Nexus 4

Old 08-23-2013, 07:10 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,462,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
Science is a big field. I don't think classes need to get into evolution of ID. Perhaps these would be classes reserved for college and higher learning.
Creationism (a.k.a. Intelligent Design) is religion, not science. It has no place in any institution that professes to teach science.

Old 08-23-2013, 07:13 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,462,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
No I believe that we should teach the 4 big ones. Math, English, History and Science.
Intelligent design? Is it Science or history? Well if it is Science one would think that it could be proven.
If it is history then one would think that there would be some form of physical evidence. For example the Pyramids.
A book written long after the players lived based on stories passed down by word of mouth? I really need to question the veracity of that document.
If it is an elective course like say Greek mythology? Shop class or art? Sure why not, if the population of the school district supports it.
Creationism is neither science nor history. It is religion and nothing more. Specifically, a monotheistic religion.

Old 08-23-2013, 07:13 PM

17,842 posts, read 14,391,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Handz View Post
ALL fMRI requires computer modeling. You must stay totally restrained during imaging so error correction algorithms have to be used. You don't even understand fundamentals of the bs you champion.
Oh good grief. That is your idea of 'computer models'?

Old 08-23-2013, 07:33 PM

32,072 posts, read 15,077,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majin View Post
As an alternative theory to Darwin evolution?
No, public schools are for everyone...all faiths and those who don't believe. I know many that send their kids to public school yet also send their kids to Sunday school and other religion classes. They have no problem with that. Different religions believe in different things. So it's best left up to the religious classes of these faiths to teach.

Old 08-23-2013, 07:42 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,928,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
No, public schools are for everyone...all faiths and those who don't believe. I know many that send their kids to public school yet also send their kids to Sunday school and other religion classes. They have no problem with that. Different religions believe in different things. So it's best left up to the religious classes of these faiths to teach.
Exactly. Science should be in education, religion can stick with the faiths.

Sent from my Nexus 4

Old 08-23-2013, 07:49 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,570,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
Creationism (a.k.a. Intelligent Design) is religion, not science. It has no place in any institution that professes to teach science.
Aliens, extra-terrestrials, paranormal are all science, shall we teach those too?
There is a large gap between apes and humans, so it is still a theory. Teach all theories, including creation and big bang, if you must - or leave them all to institutions of higher learning. Reading, writing and math are what children need to know, and schools are failing at those basics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies